Finding Big Country

Beau Vine

Anyone besides me watch this?  Probably on ESPN+ now.

Wonderful little documentary by a tiny Asian chick who grew up in Vancouver loving basketball, now searching for her favorite former NBA player, Bryant Reeves.  She of course finds him on a huge ranch outside of his hometown, and he's absolutely as nice as you can imagine.  

I watched the last half hour with a huge smile on my face.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, although the premise was pretty silly and disingenuous. I get it's story telling, but google is the first thing anyone would do, and the Tramel article would come right up, as would his multiple appearances in Stillwater that mention he operates a farm in his hometown of Gans, and several OSU message board posts about him over the years. He isn't much for the limelight, but it's not like he's been a hermit hiding from the world. He's been to a bunch of OSU games over the last 4 years to watch his son get some mop up duty in big wins, and shows up at alumni events from time to time. 

My favorite part was the end where the BC hall of fame museum set up a whole thing for him with stuff she gave them. Although I'm a little skeptical that there was literally only one Grizzlies basketball in the entire place beforehand.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

how the fuck bryant reeves gonna be your favorite player?

Seriously?  I loved BR when he was at Okie State.  He was a freaking unstoppable monster who did everything on the court absolutely textbook.  

On 7/6/2020 at 2:57 PM, Michael Knight said:

how the fuck bryant reeves gonna be your favorite player?

She was 7 when Vancouver got their NBA franchise.  She loved basketball.  Big Country was the first draft choice in their history.  Big Country is an awesome nickname.  Big Country is a unique looking individual who was hopefully going to be the cornerstone of the franchise.   I can see how all that would be attractive to a 7 year old.  

16 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

She was 7 when Vancouver got their NBA franchise.  She loved basketball.  Big Country was the first draft choice in their history.  Big Country is an awesome nickname.  Big Country is a unique looking individual who was hopefully going to be the cornerstone of the franchise.   I can see how all that would be attractive to a 7 year old.  

He's also probably the second best Vancouver Grizzlies player ever after Shareef Abdur-Rahim

On 7/6/2020 at 3:48 PM, Beau Vine said:

Seriously?  I loved BR when he was at Okie State.  He was a freaking unstoppable monster who did everything on the court absolutely textbook.  

Damn looking through the box scores of his run to the FF in his last year.

He beat teams lead by Malik Rose, Antonio McDyess, Tim Duncan, and Marcus Camby, before losing to the O'Bannons lead UCLA.

They were 4-3 heading into the Big 8 tournament, before going on play their best basketball of the season winning 7 straight before running into the UCLA juggernaut, that took down defending champion Arkansas.

Edited by HtownHorn

I was 14 and had just moved to the state in 1995. I remember Big Country and OSU's run. I also followed Tulsa's run under Tubby Smith and Bill Self and actually liked them more until about 1999 when I decided to go to OSU. The point being that I did not really follow Big Country's NBA career until about 2000 when his back injuries slowed him down. I didn't realize he had some 30 and 40 point games. He really wasn't a bust, it was injury that took him down.

• Like 1