Unsolved Mysteries (Netflix reboot)

Neonmoon

Kind of glad they didn’t try to fill Robert Stack’s role. His voice was too unique. 

I just finished the first episode 

Spoiler

The guy clearly had mental issues. The notebooks full of incoherent ramblings was a huge red flag that the wife and family seemed to dismiss like no big deal. Along with the suicide note of more ramblings taped behind his computer.  Um yeah, that isn’t normal, and he probably committed suicide because he thought he could fly or something. The only mystery I saw was his best friend Porter. Never agreed to be interviewed. That’s fishy. Maybe Porter and him were secret lovers, and met at hotel. Maybe Rivera thought he had to tell his wife about it. Porter freaked out and left. Rivera jumped off the building. I don’t know. 

I also don’t think it was that difficult for him to jump from the ledge to where he landed. They were like, he could of jumped from the ledge, but it would have been difficult to get to it, he would have to go up these back stairs and open a window...that’s it? Didn’t seem that big of an obstacle to reach the ledge 

4 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Kind of glad they didn’t try to fill Robert Stack’s role. His voice was too unique. 

Hide contents

The guy clearly had mental issues. The notebooks full of incoherent ramblings was a huge red flag that the wife and family seemed to dismiss like no big deal. Along with the suicide note of more ramblings taped behind his computer.  Um yeah, that isn’t normal, and he probably committed suicide because he thought he could fly or something. The only mystery I saw was his best friend Porter. Never agreed to be interviewed. That’s fishy. Maybe Porter and him were secret lovers, and met at hotel. Maybe Rivera thought he had to tell his wife about it. Porter freaked out and left. Rivera jumped off the building. I don’t know. 

I also don’t think it was that difficult for him to jump from the ledge to where he landed. They were like, he could of jumped from the ledge, but it would have been difficult to get to it, he would have to go up these back stairs and open a window...that’s it? Didn’t seem that big of an obstacle to reach the ledge 

the phone and glasses being unharmed is unlikely if he jumped. 

ep. 2 - husband is fucking nuts. 

Edited by 4th&Five
  • Like 1

I grew up in the 80s and my friends were all scared of Freddy and Jason and Tales from the Crypt.  But this show made me turn on all the lights.  The creepy music, his voice, the disappearances and possible ghosts.  Creepy as fuck.  Even as an adult, if I hear the theme to that it immediately takes me back.

• Like 5

On 7/2/2020 at 3:35 PM, Neonmoon said:

Hide contents

This. Sanchez committed suicide. I sympathize with his wife, but she’s read The Da Vinci Code a few too many times.

8 hours ago, PilotsError said:

I grew up in the 80s and my friends were all scared of Freddy and Jason and Tales from the Crypt.  But this show made me turn on all the lights.  The creepy music, his voice, the disappearances and possible ghosts.  Creepy as fuck.  Even as an adult, if I hear the theme to that it immediately takes me back.

Right there with you except a decade or two later. I will admit to being creeped out of the little skeleton thing that would pop out on tales from the crypt (AHHHEEEEEHHEEEEHHEEEE!!!)but I was like 7. 

Nothing's more sinister from my childhood TV experience than this show and I watched all kinds of fucked up shit. 

Edited by BigHorn'13

As a kid, the show scared the shit out of me. I always watched it at night (no dvr back then) and had this fear that when they showed the bad guy’s picture/composite in the “wanted” episodes, I would look out the window and the fucker would be staring right at me, like some horror movie. 

However, I recently watched a few of the old ones and, as an adult, you realize how silly the conspiratorial episodes are. Kinda like episode 1 of the reboot. Jesus people, the dude was nuts and jumped off a building. 

On 7/3/2020 at 1:10 PM, PilotsError said:

Same here. But the worst is the intro to Tales from the Darkside. Still gives me goosebumps.

Edited by BrickHorn

19 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

This. Sanchez committed suicide. I sympathize with his wife, but she’s read The Da Vinci Code a few too many times.

Spoiler

It does seem suspicious that his phone and glasses were unscathed and then Stansberry put a gag order on all of his employees right away when the body was discovered.

8 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:
  Hide contents

It does seem suspicious that his phone and glasses were unscathed and then Stansberry put a gag order on all of his employees right away when the body was discovered.

Everybody brings up the glasses and the phone. The phone was an old Nokia brick phone. You could drop that thing out of a plane and it would survive the crash. Where did they find the glasses? I could see them surviving a fall if they were in shirt pocket. 

Stansberry has no reason to cooperate except for friendship. How many investment firms would want the cops going through their computers and phones? None. Stansberry employees did look for Ray, discovered the hole in the roof, and reported it police. They cared enough to do that. If they were covering something up, why call it in? 

7 hours ago, GTX Horn said:
  Hide contents

Company claims there was no gag order.

Stansberry, now Stansberry Research, is the largest operating subsidiary of Baltimore-based Agora Publishing, the world’s largest investment newsletter company through its holdings, according to its website.

David Churbuck, a publicist at Sitrick & Co., a crisis management firm hired by Agora earlier this year, denied Thursday that Stansberry’s employees had been barred from speaking about the case.

“There was no gag order or direction given to employees to not speak to the press, law enforcement or any other party,” Churbuck told The Sun in a phone interview. “Any suggestion to the contrary is untrue.”

Churbuck also said the reward Stansberry offered for information was increased to $5,000 days later. The publicist said he did not know whether anyone ever claimed the money.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/crime/bs-md-ci-cr-unsolved-mysteries-rivera-20200703-s33eqch2h5co3lieik4plsdduy-story.html

10 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I’m just going to assume the usual rules. Since it’s aired, it’s fair game. 

How in the holy fuck did the Kansas cops not shakedown the whites at the party? 

(Episode 5 is my jam. Aliens)

This was the biggest part missing from the episode. Since the KBI investigation was closed, you'd think the producers could FOIA the police file and get access to the ("hundreds of") interviews.  

On 7/2/2020 at 10:37 PM, Neonmoon said:

Finished episode 2

I have no doubt it was the husband. Dude fucking slept with her bones, acted completely unsurprised when he was informed by the documentarians that she wanted to divorce him, won’t let her son be near her remains, and changed the locks on the doors the day after she disappeared (at which point supposedly no one knew if she had been killed or abducted or just ran off). She doesn’t come home one night and he kicks his stepson out to the curb? Who could possibly know at that point that she was never coming back, other than the murderer? He killed her or had her killed.

• Like 1

Here's my take with one episode left:

Spoiler

Episode 1:  Maybe I've watched too much Ozark, but I think that some investor got pissed after losing their money reading this dude's newsletter, or they were skimming from a drug dealer laundering money, and someone taught Porter a lesson.  If they mentioned it, I missed it, but I didn't hear where they said there was any debris around the body under the hole in the roof.  It would seem likely that there would be insulation or some roofing material lying around the body.  I don't know how that dude commits suicide from that roof, he can't make it that far away from the hotel without getting thrown.

Episode 2: The husband did it.  Pretty clear.  Maybe he hired someone to do it, but he's involved, that guy was creepy.  The car that stopped at the salon makes it a weird case.  I agree with BrickHorn.  Just too much going on there with the soon-to-be ex-husband.

Episode 3: No mystery here, just a guy on the run.  Hope they find the fucker.

Episode 4: The guy's friends failed him.  Went to a party an hour away in Bumblefuck, Kansas, with a bunch of drunk good 'ole boys and started hitting on a woman that pissed off others at the party.  The only mystery here is if the local law enforcement was in on it.  Sounds like they might have been involved.  Maybe not all of them, maybe someone on the force knew someone at the party and gave them a tip.  That body showing up after a massive search was the real mystery.  Lesson here, buddy accountability.  Make sure everyone sticks together and don't leave a man behind.  Especially in a backwater town in the middle of nowhere.  

Episode 5: Nothing I can add here that hasn't been said in any other UFO episode.  Entertaining UFO story, but that's about it.  Something happened that night over that town, but who knows what it is.  Reminded me of an episode of the '70s series, In Search Of

Fun series for quick binge.  I'll finish it off today.

On 7/4/2020 at 2:43 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Everybody brings up the glasses and the phone. The phone was an old Nokia brick phone. You could drop that thing out of a plane and it would survive the crash. Where did they find the glasses? I could see them surviving a fall if they were in shirt pocket. 

Stansberry has no reason to cooperate except for friendship. How many investment firms would want the cops going through their computers and phones? None. Stansberry employees did look for Ray, discovered the hole in the roof, and reported it police. They cared enough to do that. If they were covering something up, why call it in? 

True and I think I read somewhere that Stansberry was under investigation by the SEC at the time and wanted to avoid any more public scrutiny.

On 7/4/2020 at 10:55 PM, Neonmoon said:

I’m just going to assume the usual rules. Since it’s aired, it’s fair game. 

How in the holy fuck did the Kansas cops not shakedown the whites at the party? 

(Episode 5 is my jam. Aliens)

Spoiler

Not sure if I missed it or the doc did a bad job of explaining it but what happened to the guy that was still at the party with Alonzo? The one friend said he got lost going to get cigarettes so he called their friend at the party (I think Adam?) and he said he'd make sure Alonzo got home but then we never heard about Adam again. I don't think the friends were in on it but they definitely hung him out to dry by leaving him alone at a party with a bunch of racist strangers in a small town in the middle of nowhere.  Seems like it might be a situation where the local cops were involved in a coverup for an influential local family. I definitely think he was stored in a freezer and someone put his body where the family found it after police searched. If it wasn't "preserved" (for lack of a better term) it seems like there would have been a lot more decomposition especially considering the location it was found.

On 7/5/2020 at 11:39 PM, BrickHorn said:

Reveal hidden contents

I have no doubt it was the husband. Dude fucking slept with her bones, acted completely unsurprised when he was informed by the documentarians that she wanted to divorce him, won’t let her son be near her remains, and changed the locks on the doors the day after she disappeared (at which point supposedly no one knew if she had been killed or abducted or just ran off). She doesn’t come home one night and he kicks his stepson out to the curb? Who could possibly know at that point that she was never coming back, other than the murderer? He killed her or had her killed.

Episode 2-

The husband was weird as fuck. And she certainly had a type when I saw her 1st husband.......

Feel awful for the son. 

Husband- we never fought and our life was perfect: "Oh yeah, I hated my stepson, changed the locks on him, didn't give a shit where he slept after his mom "went missing", etc. who was 15 fucking years old at the time...

That dude is a psycho- 100% a founding member of the "If I can have her nobody can have her" club including her own son.

1 hour ago, HoffaJimmy said:

Episode 2-

The husband was weird as fuck. And she certainly had a type when I saw her 1st husband.......

Feel awful for the son. 

Husband- we never fought and our life was perfect: "Oh yeah, I hated my stepson, changed the locks on him, didn't give a shit where he slept after his mom "went missing", etc. who was 15 fucking years old at the time...

That dude is a psycho- 100% a founding member of the "If I can have her nobody can have her" club including her own son.

Yeah, his whole “I majored in criminology” comment came across as a sociopathic wink, like he was bragging that he’s smarter than the cops. Add to that his bizarre treatment of her skull and ashes and his absolute refusal to share that with her son, and he came across as a possessive psycho. 

But the fact that he changed the locks and permanently booted the son out of the house the day after his wife went missing was the clincher for me. That act betrays his knowledge that she was never coming back. He wasn’t just some weirdo handling grief in an unusual way. He knew she was dead.

The fact that he conveniently had a gas station receipt for the exact time of her disappearance is another suspicious aspect. It seemed to me that he was purposefully establishing an alibi.

• Like 3

Episode 2 husband was weird as fuck and an asshole to his stepson, but I highly doubt he did it. He had a million other opportunities to make her disappear (see episode 6 on how spouses kill). Whomever was driving the lumina is the killer and it wasn’t the husband nor a hitman (what professional would pull that kind of shit?). It was most likely a random rape/murder/robbery. 

On 7/7/2020 at 12:39 PM, BrickHorn said:

Hide contents

Yeah, his whole “I majored in criminology” comment came across as a sociopathic wink, like he was bragging that he’s smarter than the cops. Add to that his bizarre treatment of her skull and ashes and his absolute refusal to share that with her son, and he came across as a possessive psycho. 

But the fact that he changed the locks and permanently booted the son out of the house the day after his wife went missing was the clincher for me. That act betrays his knowledge that she was never coming back. He wasn’t just some weirdo handling grief in an unusual way. He knew she was dead.

The fact that he conveniently had a gas station receipt for the exact time of her disappearance is another suspicious aspect. It seemed to me that he was purposefully establishing an alibi.

All of this. You could tell that guy was lying every time he opened his mouth. 

Thoughts on Ep 4 (Kansas)

Spoiler

Everyone is pissed that his friends hung him out to dry, but let's be honest. All of us have been in a party situation like that where the ball gets dropped on who's giving who a ride where and whatnot. That cigarette dude was supposed to come back but got lost, the other friend probably thought cig dude was coming back and left, etc.. Also while leaving your black friend at an all white party in bumfuck, KS sounds like a recipe for disaster, do you really think these guys are considering that he'd be murdered? I mean hindsight is 20/20 when you're on Unsolved Mysteries 15 years later, but the reality is that it's just not something that happens that often. 

As far as witnesses go, I'm willing to bet that some of the partygoers gave statements that incriminated some people, but those statements just conveniently disappeared. Hopefully the national exposure will bring some of those people out of the woodwork. The more people involved in a conspiracy, the bigger chance it has to fail. 

The medical examiner guy... that guy just flat out seems like he sucks at his job. He had a weak excuse for everything. Seemed like half of his answers were "there's no way to determine if".... uh dude, that's your whole job. Figure that shit out. 

Finally, the fact that the KBI just flat out said "there's no evidence to suggest that this was murder" is pretty bad. Clearly this was foul play. Hell just the fact that his shoes were found in two different places on the side of the road far far away from where he was found is enough to determine that. Again, the national exposure might help this and keep the FBI on it. The KBI seems like they suck. 

https://chicago.suntimes.com/movies-and-tv/2020/7/4/21313572/new-unsolved-mysteries-netflix

‘Unsolved Mysteries’ revival on Netflix surges in popularity with tips already coming in
New episodes feature more family interviews and documentary footage, but skips the original’s cheesy, but delightful actor reenactments.

By USA TODAY  Jul 4, 2020, 6:57pm CDT
Bill Keveney

So far, Meurer says “Mysteries” has received three tips it passed on to the FBI related to the death of Alonzo Brooks, whose body was found a month after he disappeared following a party in rural Kansas in 2004. Tips also came in relating to the cause of death of Rey Rivera, whom Baltimore police said died of suicide, and the disappearance of Lena Chapin, who was supposed to testify against her mother in her stepfather’s death.

Edited by MillerEP

22 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

The music brings back enough nightmares. Stack would put it over the top. 

Sweet dreams, North Loop. The killers are out there. Possibly outside your bedroom window. Right now. (Thunder crackle)

spacer.png

Edited by Murfdogg21
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Sweet dreams, North Loop. The killers are out there. Possibly outside your bedroom window. Right now. (Thunder crackle)

spacer.png

Morty Seinfeld's belt-less trench coat would have made it easier for Robert Stack to flash the ladies after leaving the set. 

Edited by Deej

On 7/4/2020 at 12:43 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah the glasses and phone feel like a nothing burger. If there was some sort of confrontation, why would a killer have his phone and glasses?  And more importantly, why would the killer take the massive risk of being spotted, especially near the body, just so he can plant those items nearby? Especially if there’s some grand conspiracy involved?

If Ray was murdered, the killer would want to get as far away as as possible ASAP. Not run down to the body to plant a phone and glasses (both of which were in perfect condition).

Edited by CurlyDumps

I should probably add this to my watch queue. I only saw the original a few times, as I was a 16 year old when the original series came out and I was too busy trying to get laid, I said trying and mostly failing. When I did watch TV, I was trying to find as much nekkid lasses as possible or at least skimpy clad lasses.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The episodes are hit and miss on round 2. 

First episode: Old bipolar guy. Yeah I’m pretty sure he won’t off his meds. He’s clearly confused wandering around the town. He either got beat up and ditched in dumpster or slept in dumpster and got squished by dump truck.