Tx Workman's Comp and COVID

tx 3 putt

say I'm a craftman working for my company at customer site in Tx (i live in another state) and get popped for a positive COVID, is this a Texas Workman's Comp case ?

say, i was stopped at the gate for a high temp and then went for a test at a local clinic 

Edited by tx 3 putt
diligaf

For it to be a workman's comp claim, you'd have to prove that it was "caught on the job."

Whether it's a Texas worker's comp claim or the state of residence depends on where the employer is domiciled and maintains places of business.

I know some people that filed under diaster comp and that's how they are getting paid.  As for me right now.  I never tested positive.  My roommate who is a bartender.  Her work shutdown because one of the bartenders got it and I was in direct contact with her.  My buddy who I went to go float the river with tested positive.  And then my girlfriend who works for HISD tested positive.  I ended up calling work to let them know and they immediately told me to stay home.  I still am awaiting the results of the second Covid test.  I wasn't sure if the.company was going to pay me because I was on vacation when all of it happened.  The plant manager called me and said hey.  It's not your fault.  Stay home until you get the second negative but we are paying you.  Got paid for my 36 48 split last night and they coded it under diaster PTO.  So I basically got another 7 days of paid vacation.  Now I'm kinda hoping that second test comes back positive.  Hahaha.  Not really

Edited by FartingMonk

Fuck TWC I’ve been out of work since early March, oil paperwork business ect as easy explained as others out of work getting approved..   Filed a claim early May but was waiting on a 1099 from a company that that took three plus weeks to get...  My page to upload closed and refused after the first three days I started the online account, no longer a place to upload needed info.  (They have since added a spot to upload new documents) Called the help line for help with  open filings a hundred times a day, nothing.  Filed a petition for review online like early mid June online after figuring I won’t get thru the phone line, I’ve literally called over 100 times a day and never got thru.  I’ve got friends that work abc ect and that worked on rigs getting paid and some more then when they worked getting paid with the extra $600a week and I’m waiting for a review still...  I won’t be making more then I was getting paid by far but my percentage plus the $600 sure would be nice.   

Edited by Hook1997

10 hours ago, Pimphand said:

Also that.... TX is the only state that ain't give a shit about workers. I think it was on the ballot up in OK to possibly follow suit

If the injury was in any way the fault of your employer (or coworkers) (and as long as you've got access to health care and can cover your bills while out of work), you're better off long-term without WC because you can get better health care than the shitty WC doctors, you can get all of your lost wages rather than just 80%, and you can get pain and suffering, disfigurement, etc.

Edited by DanRydell
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DanRydell said:

If the injury was in any way the fault of your employer (or coworkers) (and as long as you've got access to health care and can cover your bills while out of work), you're better off long-term without WC because you can get better health care than the shitty WC doctors, you can get all of your lost wages rather than just 80%, and you can get pain and suffering, disfigurement, etc.

The devil is always in the details.  Comp sucks trust me I know but that whole caveat thing.  It's like saying censorship is good as long as all they are doing is censoring bullshit.   Sure in theory that works but in practice is falls apart and it becomes narrative control.  If Covid 19 has taught us anything it is that most Americans can't (Americants?) cover their bills while out of work.

Edited by Pimphand

13 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

They don’t pay you sick or leave or straight time or something along those lines until you have bern confirmed negative ?

some companies are doing a standard "14 days and you're out with full pay"  for any testing or display of Cv-19 Symptoms.  The result of the testing doesn't determine the first 14 days.

Edited by Iceman