NFL plans to play Black national anthem before Week 1 games

Beau Vine

"Lift Ev'ry Voice And Sing," traditionally known as the Black national anthem, is expected to be performed live or played before every Week 1 NFL game, and the league is considering a variety of other measures during the upcoming season to recognize victims of police brutality, a source familiar with the league's discussions told The Undefeated on Thursday.

The song would be performed before "The Star-Spangled Banner," the source said. The NFL's season opener is scheduled for Sept. 10, with the Kansas City Chiefs hosting the Houston Texans.

Having recently displayed increased awareness about the problems of systemic racism, the NFL, in collaboration with the NFL Players Association, is also considering listing the names of victims on uniforms through decals on helmets or patches on jerseys. The NFL also may produce educational programs about victims, among other plans.

Early last month, commissioner Roger Goodell in a video admitted that the league had erred in how it handled peaceful NFL player protests of police brutality and systemic oppression. Goodell condemned racism and affirmed that Black lives matter, pledging his allegiance to the players in the battle for equal justice under the law.

Also in June, the league revealed plans to increase its social justice footprint by pledging to donate $250 million over a 10-year period.

The league hopes its efforts demonstrate "a genuine commitment to the public, players and coaches and that player voices continue to be heard," the source wrote in a text message. "This is key to educating fans, and becoming a prominent voice in the fight to end racism."

Guest Lobo

i would have gone with Sam cooke's "A Change is Gonna Come", but this is a solid gesture by the NFL.  I'm sure some unmasked white fans will fuck up the nice moment by kneeling during the song, but I'd tune in to hear it before a game.  

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

i would have gone with Sam cooke's "A Change is Gonna Come", but this is a solid gesture by the NFL.  I'm sure some unmasked white fans will fuck up the nice moment by kneeling during the song, but I'd tune in to hear it before a game.  

wait... kneeling is wrong if it's the wrong people?   LMAO!!!!

Sooooooooo fucking consistent.  ( FTR, i wouldn't kneel for any song, regardless.)

Guest Lobo

I didn't make a judgement on the concept of kneeling during any special anthem by people of any color.  I just indicated that I'm guessing, given the climate we're in, there will be some white guy that wants to be internet famous that will take a knee at one of the games across the country during this song.  This is a thread about a Black Anthem that will be played specifically because the NFL wants to foster a more healing role and speak up for police violence against black citizens, including some of its players.  It says so in the original post and news story.  Roughly 1,000,000 of the 1.3mm fans in attendance on NFL's opening weekend will be white.  One of them is gonna take a knee during this song.  Not good, bad, or indifferent.  Just a statistical fact.  The internet will have plenty of judgement for whoever these people end up being.  I just pointed out something that I think is going to happen that is relevant to the OP, as usual your brain had to go a different route.  

LOLz.  So yeah, you think they're wrong to kneel.

and the 2nd anthem has shit to do with unifying anyone.  Stop there.  Separate but equal is such a noble concept.

Edited by Iceman

What if someone kneels during the national anthem but stands during the Black national anthem? What if someone kneels during the Black national anthem but stands during the national anthem? What if someone removes their mask for the Black national anthem but not for the national anthem? What if someone stands for both but doesn’t remove their mask for either? Is anyone else worried about this?

6 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

What if someone kneels during the national anthem but stands during the Black national anthem? What if someone kneels during the Black national anthem but stands during the national anthem? What if someone removes their mask for the Black national anthem but not for the national anthem? What if someone stands for both but doesn’t remove their mask for either? Is anyone else worried about this?

Zach Galifianakis Reaction GIF

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Guest Lobo
8 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

I'm not worried about it.  This will be Season 35 of me not watching a single game of NFL football (I tuned out after the Bears won the Super Bowl and I don't know that I've watched 10 minutes of NFL since then, complete waste of time).  

However, you raise a sarcastically good point.  We're cracking wise about this person stands and that person kneels, but this will absolutely 100% become an issue in September when these songs are sung and these games are played.  The media will be watching not just the players but what the fans do.  Sponsorships will be changed over it.  I was just pontificating bullshit as I am wont to do up in the thread, but people are out of their fucking minds if they don't think that some fan is going to try to politicize this Anthem.  We've made basic physics in this country into a political thing, the Black National Anthem is certainly going to be ripe for bullshit attempts at disruption.  I have to listen to fat white women protest about getting to the beauty salon, so yeah---we're probably gonna have be adult and listen to the protests of black people who are sorta frustrated with being murdered for no reason.  

giphy.gif

How come Andrew gets to get up? If he gets up, we’ll all get up, IT’LL BE ANARCHY
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Something just doesn't seem right playing a "national" anthem for a single race.

Last time a dual anthem situation like this occurred was Germany in the '30s, no???

I mean, "traditionally known as the Black national anthem" is a whole lot different than having an actual official other national anthem. It's just the usual flaccid NFL pregame stuff, just targetted at black people versus the usual "idk have a bunch of soldiers" pageantry. 

Something just doesn't seem right playing a "national" anthem for a single race.
Last time a dual anthem situation like this occurred was Germany in the '30s, no???

Wait until they play the brown national anthem “la cucaracha”, all hell is going to break loose...
  • Like 5

In my ignorance, I decided to listen to the song, before I decided.  And I'm on board.  It's a nice song, uplifting.  The version I heard was 4½ minutes, so they may have to cut a verse or two.  But I'm OK with this.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Saint Austin said:

Lol at my facebook friends swearing off the NFL because of this news. Who to hell cares?

It's like "Really?  A single song is what's going to do it for you?" Bud Adams taking a giant shit on the faces of Oilers fans everywhere and then taking their team to another city and renaming the team, and preventing Houston from using the Oilers name or colors, that wasn't quite enough for you, so you've got to make a stand over a song that will be played for a single week?  Bud Adams digging up and defiling your grandmother's corpse wasn't quite enough, but a song that you probably won't even hear is going to make you stop posting play-by-play analysis on Facebook for a week or two?"

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Yeah you’re really missing the point here.

If you or anyone else doesn’t know about the Negro National Anthem, I encourage you to listen to it and educate yourself. The history is really fascinating. I believe it’s still the Alma mater of PVAMU.

With that said, there are about 2,795 things the NFL could be doing to help with systemic racism, and playing the Negro National Anthem before every game in Week 1 is number 2,795 on the list.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Yeah you’re really missing the point here.

If you or anyone else doesn’t know about the Negro National Anthem, I encourage you to listen to it and educate yourself. The history is really fascinating. I believe it’s still the Alma mater of PVAMU.

With that said, there are about 2,795 things the NFL could be doing to help with systemic racism, and playing the Negro National Anthem before every game in Week 1 is number 2,795 on the list.

Oh, I totally get it and have known about it.

What I don't think is that the NFL doing this will "improve" race relations, just the opposite.

I will never get tired of the cycle of well-meaning but clueless white corporate buffoons inadvertently insulting angry black grievance pimps with pointless symbolism. 

I like a lot of things about this, but best of all is probably the fact that it's not making anyone happy. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

People watching on TV won't notice/care.  People in attendance won't hear the national anthem and will think they still have more time to take a piss or stand in line for shitty food.

Lulz. Like people will be attending games. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Iceman said:

Sooooooooo fucking consistent.  ( FTR, i wouldn't kneel for any song, regardless.)

My understanding of kneeling, as it has been attempted to be explained by kneelers, is that it doesn't disrespect the song or whatever it represents. So it would seem that kneelers would approve unanimously.

12 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

All the standing and kneeling will be good exercise.  Kind of like mass.   Might help with the obesity problem.   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Iceman said:

Kneeling in protest of.....black America’s systemic racism and oppression against whites people and the indiscriminate murder of white people by black police and all the black NFL owners basically treating the white players like slaves?

Think before you speak, you fucking half wit 

• Like 1

Multiple anthems, BLM jerseys and all the other trivial feel good events won't be what keeps folks from watching the NFL. If the game is supposed to start at 12, I normally don't start paying attention until 12:10. Just have the TV on in the background. 

What will drive people away is the thought of listening to Joe and Troy tell us their thoughts on BLM and what they have learned. Or trying to power through Erin Andrews hard hitting interview with Drew Brees, where he breaks a record for most apologies by an athlete without committing a crime. You know the talking heads will not be allowed to ignore the 'Summer of Love'

Edited by Brothahorn
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Think before you speak, you fucking half wit 

Hypocrite.

only the right protests count.   Liberty, gotdammit!!! but  through separate but equal songs.

we disagree on something.  Don't be a shithead.  If that is possible...

Edited by Iceman