Washington DC's NFL franchise to get a new name

mdmost

Guest Lobo

How about the Washington Marylanders?  I'm told by someone who used to play for them that the tax situation created not just by the NFL 8-away game bullshit, but by playing for a team franchised in D.C. but physically housed in Maryland was an absolute shitshow for tax purposes.  Maybe now they can change their license plates?  I dunno.  

The only people that benefit from this are ESPN because they have something new to talk about for the next three weeks.  

Props to Fed Ex, Nike and others, without their willingness of pulling money, this would never happen.  So don't think for a second anyone in that organization woke to how offensive that name is to Native Americans,  in fact they could still careless. 

23 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I'm told by someone who used to play for them that the tax situation created not just by the NFL 8-away game bullshit, but by playing for a team franchised in D.C. but physically housed in Maryland was an absolute shitshow for tax purposes.  Maybe now they can change their license plates?  I dunno.  

Wouldn't this be a similar situation for the Jets and Giants if the players lived in NYC?  The Redskins have played in Landover, MD since 1997.

Edited by Iceman

Guest Lobo
1 minute ago, Iceman said:

Wouldn't this be a similar situation for the Jets and Giants if the players lived in NYC?  The Redskins have played in Landover, MD since 1997.

Yes, it would.  But as we all know...D.C. residents have an extraordinarily higher cost of living than even New York.  But because it's not really a state income tax, it was just a tax return headache on steroids.  They "resided" in Texas and Virginia, had their corporate HQ in D.C., and then paid Maryland state taxes because of the physical location of their work site.  He's off to New York now to deal with the very situation you posted.  I don't envy him for that reason.  But I'm sure he'll be okay money-wise.  

I saw someone (not a Redskins fan) on Facebook that said that because of this they were boycotting Nike and the NFL. Imagine being so shitty that this is what causes you not to  support Nike. Child factories? Nah we're good, but being a tiny bit less racist? FUUUUUUCCCCKKK YOU!!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Props to Fed Ex, Nike and others, without their willingness of pulling money, this would never happen.  So don't think for a second anyone in that organization woke to how offensive that name is to Native Americans,  in fact they could still careless. 
I thought what did it was the DC government telling then they had to change it to acquire the RFK site?

They should do the Bullets since the Wizards are too goddamn stupid to fix that.
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

I thought what did it was the DC government telling then they had to change it to acquire the RFK site?

They should do the Bullets since the Wizards are too goddamn stupid to fix that.

Yes. Changing from the Bullets to the Wizards was extremely unfortunate. Makes for good throwback jerseys though. Bernard King holla!

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

You're not a nerd....you're just an idiot Yankees fan.

I don’t even know what team you like, that’s how little I care about you or anything you have to say. I’m assuming Astros given how dumb you seem. But thanks for the input.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Cue the white people "I'm part Indian and it doesn't offend me, why they care so much?"

I probably know more full-blooded Native Americans than even most Oklahomans, and I’ve never had one say they find it offensive. Several I know own Redskins and Fighting Sioux (UND) fan gear. But this, like so many other things, is more about white people being offended on behalf of POC. 

• Like 6
  • Fuck You 1

25 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Cue the white people "I'm part Indian and it doesn't offend me, why they care so much?"

Except for the real pondscum of Twitter, I think this should be pretty popular. Snyder was really trying to put back the tide with a shovel on this one.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Too soon, you insensitive piece of shit

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I probably know more full-blooded Native Americans than even most Oklahomans, and I’ve never had one say they find it offensive. Several I know own Redskins and Fighting Sioux (UND) fan gear. But this, like so many other things, is more about white people being offended on behalf of POC. 

I represent Indian tribes, I teach Indian students in an Indian law class, and I have many friends in this area. Nearly all have been very vocal about changing the name. But if you're not offended, I guess that's the end of the story. It's just the whites who care, lol.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 6