Washington DC's NFL franchise to get a new name

mdmost

22 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I probably know more full-blooded Native Americans than even most Oklahomans, and I’ve never had one say they find it offensive. Several I know own Redskins and Fighting Sioux (UND) fan gear. But this, like so many other things, is more about white people being offended on behalf of POC. 

I bet your pow-wows with these card-carrying Cherokee citizens are a hoot and steeped in Native tradition.

Governor Kevin Stitt (@GovStitt) | Twitter

Markwayne Mullin - Ballotpedia

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I represent Indian tribes, I teach Indian students in an Indian law class, and I have many friends in this area. Nearly all have been very vocal about changing the name. But if you're not offended, I guess that's the end of the story. It's just the whites who care, lol.

Yeah, having done rural rotations on reservations back in the day, they were not fans.  Of course, they had way more pressing concerns but as a Dallas fan back then, the team name came up and all of them were against it, but had a wtf can we do about it attitude.  Maybe the majority of the ‘my great grandma was an Indian princess’ set don’t care so much.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I represent Indian tribes, I teach Indian students in an Indian law class, and I have many friends in this area. Nearly all have been very vocal about changing the name. But if you're not offended, I guess that's the end of the story. It's just the whites who care, lol.

IDGAF either way. I rarely watch NFL beyond the 2nd half of the Super Bowl. I’m just relating my observations. The fact that you represent/teach students in a South Asian law class has nothing to do with this.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

IDGAF either way. I rarely watch NFL beyond the 2nd half of the Super Bowl. I’m just relating my observations. The fact that you represent/teach students in a South Asian law class has nothing to do with this.

Well your observation that " this, like so many other things, is more about white people being offended on behalf of POC" is objectively wrong. But sick burn at the end there, bro.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Well your observation that " this, like so many other things, is more about white people being offended on behalf of POC" is objectively wrong. But sick burn at the end there, bro.

It was a joke poking fun at the offended white professors and politicians who decided that Indians needed to be called Native Americans. Again, the NAs I know were fine with being called American Indians. Again, I don’t really give a damn. I bought several items of UND Fighting Sioux fan gear when that great moral offense was corrected. Maybe I’ll snatch up some Redskins gear while it lasts. 

4 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

It was a joke poking fun at the offended white professors and politicians who decided that Indians needed to be called Native Americans. Again, the NAs I know were fine with being called American Indians. Again, I don’t really give a damn. I bought several items of UND Fighting Sioux fan gear when that great moral offense was corrected. Maybe I’ll snatch up some Redskins gear while it lasts. 

Well, that will really show those offended white professors and politicians. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

You're still wrong that it was a debate among "white professors and politicians." The fact that you choose to ignore Native voices is a big part of the problem. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

That's... kinda weird, dude.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

They are probably going to end up with something XFL'ish like Renegades.

The only one I think will survive is Warriors, because that word has meanings beyond Native American, and they did away with NA imagery more than 50 years ago.

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The only one I think will survive is Warriors, because that word has meanings beyond Native American, and they did away with NA imagery more than 50 years ago.

What say you on the "Chiefs" moniker .   Wouldn't it be a rank, similar to "Generals" or "Colonels?

1 minute ago, Iceman said:

What say you on the "Chiefs" moniker .   Wouldn't it be a rank, similar to "Generals" or "Colonels?

They've used the arrowhead and tomahawk chop for far too long to pretend that its referring to something else at this point. I'd feel the same about "Warriors" if they still or even up to recently used the headdress in their logo. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Of all the things people have been arguing about changing due to inherent racism, this is probably the most obviously racist.  I think making UND change away from the Fighting Sioux is an overreaction.  It's an obvious homage.  Same with the Illinois Illini.  No offense intended clearly.

The Redskins are on par with having teams called the Atlanta N*ggers, Seattle Chinks, or Miami Spics.  It's completely beyond the pale (no pun intended) and has been for years.

I can't imagine being butt hurt about this, but welcome to America 2020, where the Confederate flag has become fetishized by northern Conservatives, and the god damn President is using blatant Nazi imagery in his reelection campaign.  Christ.

UND tried but could not get all of the recognized Sioux bands to agree to their use of the name. I don't know about Illinois. The Illini are not a tribe, it's a term used to describe several tribes indigenous to the region. I'm not sure if they will continue.

The name should be changed from Redskins to the Presidents.  Just put a decal of Mt. Rushmore on the helmets or just George on the helmet.  They could also do a Euro soccer thing akin to Red Star Belgrade, Rapid Vienna, and Dinamo Kiev and just go with the mascot name first as “President Washington.”  

Nevermind, just change the name to Wildcats or Tigers.

Of all the things people have been arguing about changing due to inherent racism, this is probably the most obviously racist.  I think making UND change away from the Fighting Sioux is an overreaction.  It's an obvious homage.  Same with the Illinois Illini.  No offense intended clearly.
The Redskins are on par with having teams called the Atlanta N*ggers, Seattle Chinks, or Miami Spics.  It's completely beyond the pale (no pun intended) and has been for years.
I can't imagine being butt hurt about this, but welcome to America 2020, where the Confederate flag has become fetishized by northern Conservatives, and the god damn President is using blatant Nazi imagery in his reelection campaign.  Christ.
Generally agree but I would say that if the Sioux or any other tribal group say they don't want to be used as a mascot then the intent doesn't matter. I have no idea what the details are on UND or Illinois, so I'm not saying that's the case, but intent isn't the end all-be all.

Generally agree but I would say that if the Sioux or any other tribal group say they don't want to be used as a mascot then the intent doesn't matter. I have no idea what the details are on UND or Illinois, so I'm not saying that's the case, but intent isn't the end all-be all.

IIRC, there was not consensus amongst the Sioux either way

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

I drank some homemade wine with some Choctaws once. Learned how to say the wine was very good, in Choctaw. It's either "achokma lawa" or "lawa achokma", I can't remember because I was gettin buzzed.

Anyway, all these arguments about what the new name should be are silly because, Anglo-Colonialists that y'all all are, y'all think you're gonna just breeze in and come up with something new in English, or even worse, in Spanishx. That merely continues the extinction. Why not get matching Robert E. Lee tattoos on your man-titties?

No. First of all, everyone who is not Nacotchtank needs to be driven (maybe Uber'd) out of what WE call DC until the Nacotchtank themselves decide who should live there. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nacotchtank

If the Nacotchtank decide they want an NFL team, I would not be surprised if they choose to name it in the Piscataway language, which is (for now) not exactly widely spoken. But maybe they can puzzle out something. But then again, who gives a fuck. It's Washington.

Edited by RDCanecutter
harrumph, rather, what.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Ironically, their original name, when they were playing in Boston was the Boston Braves.  Not too bad.  Then they changed it to the Boston Prairie N$#%^%$, which was horrifying, even in the 1930s (but it's Boston, so not surprising, fucking alcoholic bog jumpers), and then they compromised with the Redskins when they moved to D.C.

Should have stayed with the Braves moniker.

Ironically, their original name, when they were playing in Boston was the Boston Braves.  Not too bad.  Then they changed it to the Boston Prairie N$#%^%$, which was horrifying, even in the 1930s (but it's Boston, so not surprising, fucking alcoholic bog jumpers), and then they compromised with the Redskins when they moved to D.C.
Should have stayed with the Braves moniker.

Are you serious about the Prairie N label?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackhawks have the best colors/logo in sports imo and they seem to have MUCH less backlash than Redskins but if it has to go, then we’ll all survive.  It’s funny to see people care so much about shit they claim to not care about at all.  

It’s a reference to a singular chief.

And as a Blackhawk fan with multiple jerseys , I could care less if they change the logo.