Washington DC's NFL franchise to get a new name

mdmost

None of these names people are getting upset about are as offensive as the Houston Texans.

Fuck Bud Adams in his strangely preserved corpse.  It's like "did the funeral home dye his hair and replace his eyes with fakes or something?  How the fuck does somebody who has been in the ground for 5 years have eyes that look like he died yesterday?  And how did his fingernails and toenails continue to grow?"

spacer.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

Yeah the Houston Texans name & color scheme just screams “we’re not even gonna try let’s just go bland everything”. Would love to see that changed too.

They could solve a shit ton of wrong by restoring the Oilers' colors, logos, and records to Houston where they belong.

Different thread, regardless of how offensive the Texans bullshit is.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Are you serious about the Prairie N label?

No, well, I mean that's a slur that has been used against Native Americans, but saw it in a somewhat satirical article discussing some early professional sports teams having fucking minstrel shows with white guys in blackface, having offensive promotions, team names etc..  

It was basically a "it wouldn't be too much more racist (at the time) to call the Redskins the Prairie N%$#%$#" thing.

It was tied into an ad campaign ran by an National Congress of American Indians around 20 years ago or so.  They ran this image in the ads:

spacer.png

Kind of ironic that here we are 20 years later, and things might be changing.  Hell, they changed the Cleveland logo.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, LTbear said:

I honestly didn't know there was such disdain for the Texans' name and colors. I thought they were fine. 

They aren't the Oilers.  They aren't Columbia Blue.

But like Iceman said, that's for another thread.  A thread of angst and bitterness and despair.

• Like 5

Seriously, if mascot names offend, how do people even put up with the names of cities and states?

And I mean, fuck the Redskins franchise, sure.

But the state or city names are all either names of invading people/cultures, or else native names yanked up and used without so much as a by-your-leave.

(Maybe not California. I think that was from a popular fantasy novel of the time. As if we named a place "Narnia" now.)

Somebody earlier pointed out that "Washington" is the real problem in the name. Doesn't bother me, because I am an uncaring conqueror. But they're flipping Washington statues, so it's gonna come up.

Don't shake your head just because I'm out there doing recon, General Custer.

• Like 1

My great great grandmother was 1/16th Sioux. I have a dream catcher hanging from my rearview to symbolize and honor my heritage. And as a Native American I can definitively speak for all of us when I say that the name Redskins is not offensive.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

My great great grandmother was 1/16th Sioux. I have a dream catcher hanging from my rearview to symbolize and honor my heritage. And as a Native American I can definitively speak for all of us when I say that the name Redskins is not offensive.

SorrowfulThunderousHyrax-small.gif

• Like 2

Just now, Valmy77 said:

Should have just quietly done this decades ago, you know, before twitter.

Hope they come up with something that isn't too lame.

Oh it will be terrible. Too hard to brand these days.   

And F the redskins.   The NFL too.   Loss of brand will accelerate the demise of both.  

34 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Should have just quietly done this decades ago, you know, before twitter.

Hope they come up with something that isn't too lame.

It will be difficult to come up with something more lame than that franchise. 

5 hours ago, 'stache said:

I represent Indian tribes, I teach Indian students in an Indian law class, and I have many friends in this area. Nearly all have been very vocal about changing the name. But if you're not offended, I guess that's the end of the story. It's just the whites who care, lol.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/new-poll-finds-9-in-10-native-americans-arent-offended-by-redskins-name/2016/05/18/3ea11cfa-161a-11e6-924d-838753295f9a_story.html

9 out of 10 say you are wrong.  So please apologize for your race bating....we will wait.

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The Redskins are on par with having teams called the Atlanta N*ggers, Seattle Chinks, or Miami Spics.  It's completely beyond the pale (no pun intended) and has been for years.

When do you use the * and when do you not? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LTbear said:

I honestly didn't know there was such disdain for the Texans' name and colors. I thought they were fine. 

I think that it’s because real Texans - Austin, Houston, Zavala, Rusk, eta al, kicked ass while the fake “Texans” will perpetually suck ass

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

They are probably going to end up with something XFL'ish like Renegades.

(On a serious note) - The Washington "Freedman".?!

FREEDMEN'S BUREAU DEMOCRATIC HATRED TO ABOLITION OF SLAVERY ...

(On a not so serious note) - The Washington "Sentinels".?!

EcBLPZKXgAEvMD0?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Seriously, if mascot names offend, how do people even put up with the names of cities and states?

And I mean, fuck the Redskins franchise, sure.

But the state or city names are all either names of invading people/cultures, or else native names yanked up and used without so much as a by-your-leave.

(Maybe not California. I think that was from a popular fantasy novel of the time. As if we named a place "Narnia" now.)

Somebody earlier pointed out that "Washington" is the real problem in the name. Doesn't bother me, because I am an uncaring conqueror. But they're flipping Washington statues, so it's gonna come up.

Don't shake your head just because I'm out there doing recon, General Custer.

The best is Idaho. It's not even a real Native name. Some random dude from Philadelphia called it Idaho after a girl named Ida and got it through Congress by saying it was Shoshone for "gem of the mountains"

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Idaho#:~:text=States highlighting Idaho-,Etymology,made up the name himself.

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

The best is Idaho. It's not even a real Native name. Some random dude from Philadelphia called it Idaho after a girl named Ida and got it through Congress by saying it was Shoshone for "gem of the mountains"

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Idaho#:~:text=States highlighting Idaho-,Etymology,made up the name himself.

I've done some things to get laid before, but hot damn, naming a state after a girl.  That's some Grade A Long Game right there.

• Like 1

Washington Post poll again and again finds that 90% of Native Americans are not offended by Redskins team name.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/a-survey-explores-how-native-americans-feel-about-the-name-washington-redskins-no-its-not-that-survey-this-one-is-new/2019/08/09/e38553bc-b581-11e9-8949-5f36ff92706e_story.html

Yet whites are still offended on behalf of Native Americans.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor