Washington DC's NFL franchise to get a new name

mdmost

Athletic Club of the District of Columbia...or AC/DC when brevity is required.

Of those suggested, I like the Wingers.  I also like the Pigskins suggestion, as it allows the Hogettes to stay relevant. 

71770108.jpg.jpg

I'm sure it will end up being something with no creativity, Generals, Sentinels, Monuments, Senators, Congress, Statesmen, blah, blah, yawn.

• Like 1

From an article on ESPN concerning the name change:

Rivera told the Post it is important that a new nickname respects Native American culture and traditions, while also saluting the military. Rivera is the son of an Army officer.

Is all of that important for the nickname?   If so, why?

Edited by slorch

8 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

The Washington 

The Washington Not College Materials seems a bit wordy....

They're using that for the G-League team in the NBA.

Rivera told the Post it is important that a new nickname respects Native American culture and traditions, while also saluting the military. Rivera is the son of an Army officer.

Check all the boxes.

And why did Ron take the job if the name was so problematic?

39 minutes ago, slorch said:

So... Washington Windtalkers?

9 minutes ago, OrangEngr said:

So... Washington Windtalkers?

Respecting Native American Indigenous people AND the military?

There is only one answer...I introduce the Washington Code Talkers.

Oh wait...the Japanese might be offended. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
I’ll eventually think of something.

On 7/4/2020 at 1:34 PM, C-Man said:

Have a few Native American friends/acquaintances and they've been banging on this for years. It's time for a change.

I see the Cleveland Indians are likely to do the same. I think they should bring back the Cleveland Spiders.

Naps.

8 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Respecting Native American Indigenous people AND the military?

There is only one answer...I introduce the Washington Code Talkers.

Oh wait...the Japanese might be offended. 

Everyone is ok with offending Asians.

So Redskins have to change? I don't watch the news anymore but has anything been said about the Chiefs? What about the Cowboys? Seems like everything is getting cancelled by the mob so what about those racist Cowboys that roamed this land back in the 1800's? I saw the Indians stuff was curious about other team names? Texans? there has been a time Texans were racist so that represents a racist right? 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So Redskins have to change? I don't watch the news anymore but has anything been said about the Chiefs? What about the Cowboys? Seems like everything is getting cancelled by the mob so what about those racist Cowboys that roamed this land back in the 1800's? I saw the Indians stuff was curious about other team names? Texans? there has been a time Texans were racist so that represents a racist right? 

Star Wars: Han Solo Reflects. GIF | Gfycat

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Since you don't read or watch the news, you might be interested to know that no mob demanded the name be changed at this particular moment. FedEx and other corporate sponsors of the Washington franchise wanted the name changed. So if corporations are the mobs then maybe you'll have something else to whine about. If AT&T, Nike, and Pepsi want the Cowboys to change their name then maybe they'll ask for that. But they won't so stop fretting over hyperbolic scenarios that aren't in the cards. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 7

10 minutes ago, Scholz said:

I would assume this guy is on deck.

chief_wahoo.jpg

Chief Wahoo's already gone, unless you buy it at retail stores in Ohio (for some reason). But yeah, based on the statement the team put out, they're also mulling a change.

EDIT: There is a reason, thanks Wikipedia:

However, as to maintain their trademark on the logo, along with the words 'Tribe' and 'Wahoo', and prevent their dilution, the team continues to sell limited merchandise with Chief Wahoo, only in its physical team store.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1