Washington DC's NFL franchise to get a new name

mdmost

I mean I am all for having a reasoned debate about whether or not the Rangers have a checkered past or the Cowboys represent imperialism or some other connection one may want to make. But there is no connection with the term "Redskins" it is just blatantly a slur. This has been a change that should have happened a long time ago and I am just relieved that finally we can move on from this, I don't even care how lame or corporate committee-esque the new name is.

But no matter what the mascot of the team is, we are still going to suck so you Cowboys fans can take heart.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 2

Yeah for the 1970 season somebody thought it would be awesome to just have an R on the helmet.

It was lame.

s-l400.jpg

I guess if we just dropped the feathers and had a new name that started with an R we could use this lame as shit helmet again. 

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah for the 1970 season somebody thought it would be awesome to just have an R on the helmet.

It was lame.

s-l400.jpg

I guess if we just dropped the feathers and had a new name that started with an R we could use this lame as shit helmet again. 

If they do decide to go with the Warriors and just put an W in the circle, it'll probably end up being the pro version of the Utah helmet:

71GYYp-QB6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

29 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

It was lame.

s-l400.jpg

I like it, just remove the feather and it's a nice clean logo. Might change up the R a little if they can avoid some stupid font. Redtails makes sense too.

So Redskins have to change? I don't watch the news anymore but has anything been said about the Chiefs? What about the Cowboys? Seems like everything is getting cancelled by the mob so what about those racist Cowboys that roamed this land back in the 1800's? I saw the Indians stuff was curious about other team names? Texans? there has been a time Texans were racist so that represents a racist right? 

Rockets were in large part of Nazi ingenuity.

Just saying.
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Scholz said:

So since there's already the Golden State Warrriors, people would have to say the Washington (football) Warriors like the NY (football) Giants?

New York Football Giants was because there were two teams with the same name in the same city.  We are pretty stupid but I think we are capable of differentiating the two when the cities names do that for us.

4 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Cowboys could be fixed by just not being a white dude as their mascot or whatever. Cowboys in general had a high minority % of their population. The real history just got the ole White Jesus treatment.  

I'm for anything that gets rid of Rowdy. Worst mascot in pro sports. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Cowboys could be fixed by just not being a white dude as their mascot or whatever. Cowboys in general had a high minority % of their population. The real history just got the ole White Jesus treatment.  

30 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I'm for anything that gets rid of Rowdy. Worst mascot in pro sports. 

RIP Crazy Ray. It would have been nice if they named him the official mascot and named a successor when he passed away. I agree that Rowdy sucks balls.

Crazy Ray (Dallas Cowboys) | SportsMascots Wikia | Fandom

• Like 4

Guest Lobo

Personally, I like teams who don’t lose, don’t get captured.  The “Redskins” and the “Indians” certainly lost a tremendous amount of their own property.  Probably due to bad real estate lawyers.  They couldn’t make good deals.  Dan Snyder makes the best deals.  It’s weakness to change names.  That’s why whenever I buy something, I immediately change its name and announce in giant gold lettering so everybody knows we stand for excellence.  

Edited by Lobo

On 7/4/2020 at 10:00 AM, mdmost said:

The Red Tails idea is actually a really good one. It would be a good way to keep the uniform colors and you'd really only need to rework the logo. 

I would wager the gallant men of the 332nd Fighter Group and the 477th Bombardment Group of the United States Army Air Force would take umbrage with the name.  Also know as the Tuskegee Airmen

ObCTVBzMEMtVjTgpbfvwndVAmbfS5pZyA8DQiTux

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I would wager the gallant men of the 332nd Fighter Group and the 477th Bombardment Group of the United States Army Air Force would take umbrage with the name.  Also know as the Tuskegee Airmen

ObCTVBzMEMtVjTgpbfvwndVAmbfS5pZyA8DQiTux

It being named after the Tuskegee Airmen is the entire point of the name...

• Like 1

Guest Lobo

Teams should be named from strength, not weakness.  
look at the NBA...Celtics.  Very strong little leprechaun with a smoking problem and bad lungs.  Denver Nuggets.  Very tiny, some would say a ‘nugget’.  But solid.  ‘Pacers’?   Sounds strong to me.  The Heat is strong.  So strong, they can wipe out COVID like a miracle.  Magic and Wizards?   Could be fake, but they sound strong.  ‘jazz’ ?  Not as strong as Kid Rock, but still...

white Sox and Red Sox?  Not as strong as the Indians.  But you know who is?   The Twins!  Despite Minneapolis’ bullshit, the Twins are twice as strong as any team.  

and when they come for the Redskins and their strong name and heritage, they may as well come for the Browns too!  Because that’s a strong name!   And we all know what it means!  

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

RIP Crazy Ray. It would have been nice if they named him the official mascot and named a successor when he passed away. I agree that Rowdy sucks balls.

Crazy Ray (Dallas Cowboys) | SportsMascots Wikia | Fandom

Freaking THIS. RIP Crazy Ray. 
and FUJJ.

I got to meet Crazy Ray back in the 90s when he made an appearance at a facility for delinquent youth that my dad ran. Super nice guy. He gave me a whistle like the one that he used at games. It was a little piece of gray vinyl with a piece of clear plastic on one edge. You put it on your tongue and when you blew out air, it made the whistling noise just like Crazy Ray. I wore that thing out.

Hits close to home...

Target, Nike, FedEx and others have withdrawn their merch.  Now several minority owners are looking to sell their shares.  Yeesh.  Congrats Snyder, you dumb sack of crap.  And f'k the buckeyes--that name isn't happening either.  Additionally, I don't think there's an uglier stadium than FedEx field.  

Guest Lobo

Some of y'all do realize that dozens of franchises over the last century+ have changed their names for myriad reasons.  Would it help if they weren't changing their franchise name due to political pressure, or even sponsorship pressure, but simply because their name sucks?  My great-grandfather didn't bitch and moan when the Chicago Orphans became the Chicago Cubs.  Philadelphia changed from the Quakers to the Phillies out of respect for the Quaker faith.  Nobody got all jammed up about it.  I haven't seen this many vaginas chose to die on a hill since Lilith Fair had that one ill-advised festival Mt. McKinley.  

It’s almost as if continuing to stubbornly use a blatantly racist mascot has made the team’s continued use of the name unprofitable. So basically, we can blame (or celebrate) good old fashioned American capitalism. Those goddamn social justice warriors and their love of capitalism!

• Like 2