Washington DC's NFL franchise to get a new name

mdmost

On 7/7/2020 at 8:34 AM, Scholz said:

What if they went full on high school and were the Bulldogs or Wildcats.  That would be terrible and funny.

I was thinking Wildcats would be perfect.  the ultimate generic team name.  

I'm betting it will be warriors which is also pretty generic but the french americans will be up in arms.

My front runner is the Washington Guerrillas and let the hilarity ensue.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I was thinking Wildcats would be perfect.  the ultimate generic team name.  

I'm betting it will be warriors which is also pretty generic but the french americans will be up in arms.

My front runner is the Washington Guerrillas and let the hilarity ensue.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Thet should just pick a new name every year so they can sell the morons who buy jerseys a new one  every year.

What if you game the system by getting a cheap Chinese knock off?  And STILL have cash left over after you custom tailor that MF.  Winning.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Minor league baseball does team names right, and wish other sports would follow. A team name should be creative, memorable, unique, and why not funny. I think fans identify more with those names too. No team in the history of Earth has ever gone, “oh shit we’re playing the Tigers today! Tigers are scary animals I but this team is scary”. People put too much stock in having a “strong” team name. 

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

Minor league baseball does team names right, and wish other sports would follow. A team name should be creative, memorable, unique, and why not funny. I think fans identify more with those names too. No team in the history of Earth has ever gone, “oh shit we’re playing the Tigers today! Tigers are scary animals I but this team is scary”. People put too much stock in having a “strong” team name. 

Washington Corruption

That'll make everyone reach for their wallets.

and to support your point, I give you the Amarillo Sodpoodles.  Texas League Champions in their only year of existence.

Edited by slorch

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

Agreed. The most successful recent big league name choice has been the Pelicans - it's fun and has local roots and character.

Way better than all the colleges that changed to RedHawks/Warhawks/Fighting Hawks.

Edited by texifornia

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

College athletics have generally done a good job of this, too.  There are plenty of Bears and Tigers, but you gotta love shit like Texas Longhorns, Oklahoma Sooners, Iowa State Cyclones, Arkansas Razorbacks, Nebraska Cornhuskers, Wisconsin Badgers, Minnesota Gophers, West Virginia Mountaineers, etc.  Lots of goofy, locally relevant, historical anecdote type of team names.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 3

Washington Delta Chis (DC's for short) 

Otter at QB, D-Day at FB, Boone at TB, Bluto at Tackle, Pinto and Hoover at Safeties, and the Stork is obviously the Placekicker.  Flounder on the bench.

I am constantly in awe of how much deeply-opinionated attention this is getting from all over the country.  They've been in existence since 1937, that's it.  This is not the same as changing the name of a military base, or removing a Civil War statue, or rewriting the history of our nation.  It's an 83-year old private business that plays a game on the weekends.  I've got older relatives that literally remember when they moved the Redskins from Boston to Washington.  That's how recent this team is.  This is not embedded in the heritage of our nation or anything like that.  Christ, people act like we're redoing history textbooks or something.  It's a shitty name, they're changing it.  I think the nation will somehow manage to endure.  

Edited by Lobo

3 minutes ago, slorch said:

Washington Americans.

since they already have the Nationals.  It also would be just as lazy as the Houston Texans.

I'm hoping when McNair's widow dies and the family has to sell the team that the new owner buys the rights to the Oilers name. If we are going to lose, let's lose in baby blue.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

NSIAP- They should be the Senators. It’s got city history as an homage to the old baseball team, locally relevant, etc. 

I would say that would be associating the club with perennial losers...but the club has already achieved that association so we might as well roll with it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The Texans should just change their name to the Earlers and go back to the columbia blue

With a hot-link on the helmet.

tenor.gif?itemid=9554038

I spent a few years as a yute up in DC back when they were actually good (the late 80s Gibbs era). Part of what made the fan experience so great was the seats at the old RFK swaying back and forth while Hail to the Redskins thundered throughout the stands. I don’t disagree the name should go, but so far I like the Warriors idea the best. I’m just hoping that whatever happens the associated traditions don’t die. It’s a special thing.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Washington Americans.

since they already have the Nationals.  It also would be just as lazy as the Houston Texans.

I'm not sure the same complainers would think "Americans" is any less racist.

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I thought the red tails was corny at first, but then when someone posted the logo in this thread i saw myself thinking it was more natural. It would’ve been an easier transition IMO. The logo was similar. But whatever. 

I think Snyder is a man with a lot of pride and extremely limited imagination. He can change it to Warriors and just be like "look, I wasn't wrong, it's pretty much exactly the same." Redtails would imply, in his mind I bet, some kind of giving in.