Washington DC's NFL franchise to get a new name

mdmost

The team is talking about reforming the office culture from within while simultaneously retaining the guy, who led the organization for 20 years and remains quiet about it. And we’re not talking about a 10,000 headcount company in which the CEO can’t be aware of what is happening. The office staff is 200 people.

i get that Snyder owns the team but the long term leader can’t run as the reform candidate. And they’re not making these changes because Snyder suddenly realized there was a problem. The problem is that the Washington post caught them.

Hard to believe the sincerity when you are forced to make a change. The sports press should be laughing at them.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

9 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I assumed that’s exactly what happened...

This makes more sense. Because that story was nowhere near a "bombshell". Curious to see what else comes out if we ever get to hear it.

If the lawyers were able to cut 2/3 of the story, are they able to stop someone from leaking it all on Twitter? 

15 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

This makes more sense. Because that story was nowhere near a "bombshell". Curious to see what else comes out if we ever get to hear it.

If the lawyers were able to cut 2/3 of the story, are they able to stop someone from leaking it all on Twitter? 

Yeah this must have occurred. Someone at the Post leaked enough of info so that something had to be published.  Lawyers must have agreed that sourced allegations of harassment were acceptable especially given that I believe the alleged harassers were all fired in the past few weeks.

The Washington Post isn't known for backing down to legal threats so I would assume their evidence or sources were effectively weak. For example, you can accuse Gruden of benching a player for some love triangle but that isn't easy to prove. Any benching for performance reasons is pretty subjective especially if the coach references practice performance.

Lawyers can't stop a leak from occurring which in some respect it's already happened. The reporters probably can't leak them officially. The result is a bunch of tweets that is difficult to tell fact from rumor.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I was wondering this as well. Can they get sued for defamation of character or whatever? There’s nothing worse than “i know something that will blow your mind...I’m just not allowed to tell you”

Edited by youdunnf'dup

The only thing I care about is don't name them after any political or military entity in any way.  Fortunately, the current climate in Washington team names is to avoid that idiocy.  "Nationals" isn't exactly a political name, nor is "Wizards".  "Capitals" is sort of but really it's pretty benign. And looky - 2 out of those 3 teams have won a title within the last 5 years!

What most people across the country don't get is that the D.C. area has almost 6 million people, 90% of whom were born, live, and make their homes in that area.  And they have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with politics.  They're just residents, like people in Milwaukee or Tooth Pull, Nebraska.  And most of them hate politics as much as the next guy.  They laugh when some douchebag politician from Western California comes in and says "my team".  Yeah, right.  We don't care if you've lived here 45 years, you're a Californian.  Anyway, the D.C. area is a good place to live and work (without a shred of politics in your life ever if you don't want it).  I know, I'm one of those D.C. natives.  Don't name it after anything to "pay tribute" to anything.  Just give them a simple name.  Not Senators.  Not Redtails.  Not Fighting Abraham Lincolns.  I'm sick of this "we need to unite people with our name."  No you don't.  You need to name it the Fighting Ballsack Squirrels and go out and win 15 games one year.   That'll unite people far more than some idiotic quixotic quest to heroin-inject politics into sports.

While we're at it, ditch the National Anthem and any of that stuff (okay, maybe on a national holiday).  Make it at least one place where people can go, get drunk and root for something together.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

You need to name it the Fighting Ballsack Squirrels and go out and win 15 games one year.  

While we're at it, ditch the National Anthem and any of that stuff (okay, maybe on a national holiday).  Make it at least one place where people can go, get drunk and root for something together.

Fighting Squirrel Ballsacks has a better ring to it. And would fit that organization well

and I agree on the anthem. Don’t need it before a sporting event. And it doesn’t make me any less patriotic to say that. 

• Like 2

I think they make a wholesale change by going with "D.C." instead of "Washington" like their MLS club.  I think they really want to move back into the District when their lease in Maryland is up. I remember growing up learning that the "Washington" teams were from D.C. and not the state (I was like 10 or something). Especially if D.C. eventually gets statehood (which I think is inevitable by now). They could go Euro with it like "D.C.F.B." or go with a name like 'D.C. Senators" or "D.C. Redwolves." There seems to be some unique pride in that area for people who live or work in the District.

40 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I think they make a wholesale change by going with "D.C." instead of "Washington" like their MLS club.  I think they really want to move back into the District when their lease in Maryland is up. I remember growing up learning that the "Washington" teams were from D.C. and not the state (I was like 10 or something). Especially if D.C. eventually gets statehood (which I think is inevitable by now). They could go Euro with it like "D.C.F.B." or go with a name like 'D.C. Senators" or "D.C. Redwolves." There seems to be some unique pride in that area for people who live or work in the District.

I remember growing up thinking the Redskins were from the state of Washington. Then I saw something about them being in Maryland and told my dad "Did you see the Redskins moved?!". He was like wtf and then I told him where and he just laughed and told me that is where they always have been. I felt dumb haha. I was probably 10 or so when I made this fascinating discovery. 

10 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I remember growing up thinking the Redskins were from the state of Washington. Then I saw something about them being in Maryland and told my dad "Did you see the Redskins moved?!". He was like wtf and then I told him where and he just laughed and told me that is where they always have been. I felt dumb haha. I was probably 10 or so when I made this fascinating discovery. 

Cowboys fan didn't know Washington Redskins were in DC (MD)?

2 minutes ago, EastTexan said:

At 10 years old, no I did not. That might even be how it came up, when I started following standings and asked my dad why Washington plays in the East Division when they are on the west coast.

7 minutes ago, EastTexan said:

A 10yr fan who watched in passing? Sure didn't. I didn't study the game or players back then. I only saw Washington Redksins.

Edited by Vic Mackey

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

A 10yr fan who watched in passing? Sure didn't. I didn't study the game or players back then. I only saw Washington Redksins.

Ok, understand. Was 13 when NFL gave Dallas a franchise. Greatest thing to happen in my sports head.

• Like 1

When I started following the Redskins, they actually were in DC, so maybe that's the difference. But practically every broadcast had shots of the Jefferson Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument and Capitol Building.

6 minutes ago, EastTexan said:

Sheltered childhood.

What a bizarre comment. I turned 10 in 1992, the first year I remember caring about the Dallas Cowboys because they were really good. Before then I only causally watched sports and my extended family was split between the Oilers and Cowboys (we lived in Corpus). I remember being a Warren Moon fan first because they were good and my cousins in Houston gave me some Oilers stuff. But the Cowboys were badass in 1992 and I became a fan at that formative age when a bunch of other people around me hopped on that bandwagon. It was that year I started reading the sports page and I bought some football books at the book fair. My dad told me that if I was a Cowboys fan I should really dislike the Washington team. I'm pretty sure that is when I had the Washington state vs. D.C. enlightenment. There were lots of other things I didn't know at 10, in case that surprises you. 

4 minutes ago, G650 said:

When I started following the Redskins, they actually were in DC, so maybe that's the difference. But practically every broadcast had shots of the Jefferson Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument and Capitol Building.

Maybe it is mostly because the move to Maryland coincided with the franchise being total shit, but I will never not hate that move. I hope they return to DC some day.

Edited by Valmy77

5 minutes ago, G650 said:

I'm pretty sure they still show those things on the broadcasts. Like how they show the Dallas skyline during Cowboys games and the SF skyline for 49ers games even though they don't actually play in the city they represent.

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Maybe it is mostly because the move to Maryland coincided with the franchise being total shit, but I will never not hate that move. I hope they return to DC some day.

Join the club my friend.

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

What a bizarre comment. I turned 10 in 1992, the first year I remember caring about the Dallas Cowboys because they were really good. Before then I only causally watched sports and my extended family was split between the Oilers and Cowboys (we lived in Corpus). I remember being a Warren Moon fan first because they were good and my cousins in Houston gave me some Oilers stuff. But the Cowboys were badass in 1992 and I became a fan at that formative age when a bunch of other people around me hopped on that bandwagon. It was that year I started reading the sports page and I bought some football books at the book fair. My dad told me that if I was a Cowboys fan I should really dislike the Washington team. I'm pretty sure that is when I had the Washington state vs. D.C. enlightenment. There were lots of other things I didn't know at 10, in case that surprises you. 

Just hassling you.

• Like 1

Just now, 'stache said:

I'm pretty sure they still show those things on the broadcasts. Like how they show the Dallas skyline during Cowboys games and the SF skyline for 49ers games even though they don't actually play in the city they represent.

Yes, they do, and always have. My point was how on earth did y'all watch that and see the Washington Monument and think "Hey when did that get to Seattle?"

54 minutes ago, G650 said:

Yes, they do, and always have. My point was how on earth did y'all watch that and see the Washington Monument and think "Hey when did that get to Seattle?"

Again, I was 10. At the end of the commercial breaks I was probably too busy trying to hide my boner from the bikini girl beer ads that just played to be noticing the D.C. landmarks.

Edited by 'stache

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

I think they should show the beautiful downtown Arlington honestly. Maybe the skyline of all the rollercoasters across the street?

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 12:14 PM, Vic Mackey said:

I get it.  For years I thought the Patriots actually played in a city called "New England."  I only found out a couple years ago that's not the case.