Washington DC's NFL franchise to get a new name

mdmost

37 minutes ago, George said:

Need a ruling. This sign has been bugging the shit out of me. What exactly is a military commander? Why wouldn’t you list the branch if that’s your angle. /no cr 

0B4B522E-F689-4D1D-87F6-FD76DC99B81A.thumb.jpeg.d69ee702d6b4a176ec328eee7264a2f0.jpeg

best bet....

Chabot was a Coast Guard Commander.

but I agree,  why not just say USCG Commander Chabot?

On 2/1/2022 at 11:17 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

So Washington Commanders and Cleveland Guardians. Sound like teams from a crummy movie that couldn't secure NFL rights. (And yes, I know Guardians is beisbol.)

I'm sure I'll get used to it but... yuck.

Of course, we already have the Titans and Jaguars, which are goofy names with that same feel.

I'm still trying to get used to the Oklahoma City Thunder. Somehow team owners are offered decent alternatives and choose the cheesiest one. 

• Fuck You 1

Does Washington have the shittiest lineup of sports mascots in the country for a city with 3+ teams? I think maybe so, there isn’t a good one here:

Wizards- Stupid AF, 1990s rebrand you regret now

Nationals— This is non-offensive and also isn’t anything

Capitols— Washington is the capitol. This is also nothing. Best I can say is that it’s not terrible.

United— Fine, for soccer 

Commanders— Might this actually be one of the better ones in a terrible field?

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Does Washington have the shittiest lineup of sports mascots in the country for a city with 3+ teams? I think maybe so, there isn’t a good one here:

Capitols— Washington is the capitol. This is also nothing. Best I can say is that it’s not terrible.

United— Fine, for soccer 

They had an opportunity to call the Nationals the “Greys” after the Negro League team. Everyone, I mean, EVERYONE wanted it.  Of course not. It’s Banal as that shitty stadium.

The Wizards suffer from the Kornheiser curse: they won’t win a championship until they go back to the Bullets.

13 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

They had an opportunity to call the Nationals the “Greys” after the Negro League team. Everyone, I mean, EVERYONE wanted it.  Of course not. It’s Banal as that shitty stadium.

The Wizards suffer from the Kornheiser curse: they won’t win a championship until they go back to the Bullets.

“Les Boulez”

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Greys was the best choice, and it was an own goal not to pick it. 

Wizards is just awful. The fantasy and sports world overlap starts to shrink rapidly after kids turn 12. 

17 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Greys was the best choice, and it was an own goal not to pick it. 

Wizards is just awful. The fantasy and sports world overlap starts to shrink rapidly after kids turn 12. 

18 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

('Cause he didn't throw with his stomach.)

Who does?

Sometimes I forget that, like some of us, not everybody has been around forever.

"And Jurgensen, who played to 40? He was similarly flip when tweaked for having the sort of belly that suggested he might swill a few beers. "I throw with my arm, not my stomach," he scoffed."

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

United— Fine, for soccer 

I mean, Bullets, Redskins, and Senators were pretty lame too. Bears, Cubs, Bulls is kind of boring too, there's just some cool history there that makes them good now. BlackHawks are probably going to need to change soon too since nobody there has any connection to Chief BlackHawk or the Sauk people. Pretty hard to say you have respect for the indigenous history of your geography when you literally removed them by force.

I still think they should have gone with D.C. The D.C. Commanders has better alliteration and rolls off the tongue better. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Royale with cheese said:

Sometimes I forget that, like some of us, not everybody has been around forever.

"And Jurgensen, who played to 40? He was similarly flip when tweaked for having the sort of belly that suggested he might swill a few beers. "I throw with my arm, not my stomach," he scoffed."

Sonny was very well known in many area watering holes.  He was the personification of 60s NFL.  Live hard, play hard, and keep an eye open for the headhunters on Sunday afternoons.

On 2/3/2022 at 11:29 AM, 'stache said:

I mean, Bullets, Redskins, and Senators were pretty lame too. Bears, Cubs, Bulls is kind of boring too, there's just some cool history there that makes them good now. BlackHawks are probably going to need to change soon too since nobody there has any connection to Chief BlackHawk or the Sauk people. Pretty hard to say you have respect for the indigenous history of your geography when you literally removed them by force.

I still think they should have gone with D.C. The D.C. Commanders has better alliteration and rolls off the tongue better. 

Not sure this is true.  Just think of the Germans, Japanese and/or Viet Cong.  We killed the fuck out of those mofos by the bushel, but can still respect them for being the obstinate bastards they are.  😉

Washington Commanders defensive tackle Jonathan Allen apologized for a since-deleted tweet in which he said Adolf Hitler was one of three people living or dead with whom he'd like to have dinner.

Allen, Washington's nominee for the Walter Payton Man of the Year Award for the second consecutive year, had told his nearly 68,000 Twitter followers early Wednesday morning to "Ask me anything." One of them asked which three people, dead or alive, would he want to have at the dinner table. Allen responded by saying his "granddad, hitler and michael jackson."

When asked to explain Hitler, he said in a tweet also since deleted, "He's a military genius and I love military tactics but honestly I would want to pick his brain as to why he did what he did. I'm also assuming that the people I've chosen have to answer all my questions honestly."

Lulz. You have to be one dumb motherfucker to think that tweeting out to the world that the Hitdawg is one of 3 people you'd most like to have dinner with is going to be anything other than a disaster. Even Michael Jackson would think thats reprehensible and he diddled little boys. 

Edited by Blotto