Happy Independence Day.

Bateshorn

Here’s to celebrating another year of the American Experience. We’ve got a nice little online community here in CR.  Feel free to post a freedom pic, food, or something you blew up.

I hope all of you degenerates over consume, over eat, and over celebrate. Just remember to wear a mask, do it from 6 feet away, and keep an eye on your doggos. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

In all seriousness, I’m pretty dejected today. It’s supposed to be a celebration of this country, and pretty much everyone I know and associate with is feeling embarrassed and angry about who we apparently are. 

Oh what a relief. I thought it was just me getting old.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

In all seriousness, I’m pretty dejected today. It’s supposed to be a celebration of this country, and pretty much everyone I know and associate with is feeling embarrassed and angry about who we apparently are. 

To me, the idea of America is that we are not perfect, we are flawed, but we are allowed to strive to be better.  We are allowed to bring about change on our own terms as a society, but we have to work at it. We shouldn’t find easy comfort in the past but use these days of celebration to recommit to a better future, just as the founders did in their day. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 3

Happy Interdependence Day! Whether some of us realize it or not, we became the most powerful nation because of our diversity. Yes, it creates a lot of tension that we haven't addressed fully or properly but we are stronger because of all our heritage. I raise a glass to all the peoples that helped make the United States 244 years old today! 

Edited by burntorangebongos
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I feel it too.  Just a general malaise about coming up short.

However.  You know what today is?   The first day to make things different.  we can focus on getting pissy or moping around or we can do our best to live up to our credo.

"With liberty and justice for all" should be the starting point for what we want going forward.  Our country isn't perfect by a damned sight.  The opportunity to get it corrected absolutely exists.  That is why today shouldn't be a day of mourning or being dejected.   It's gonna take a shit-ton of effort and desire, but there is still cause for optimism.

I stopped celebrating today well before this year. It rings hollow to me to do so, especially right now with the racist assclown we have in the White House attempting to incite racists into doing terrible things to our fellow citizens. I have nothing against anyone else enjoying the 4th. I will still take advantage of some beautiful weather today and tomorrow though. Hope all of y’all enjoy some good food and time with family and friends.

• Like 1

Found a good timeline of when different Americans gained their “Independence” and right to vote. It’s been a constant struggle but there has always been a constant force in this country fighting to improve and move the country forward against status quo. Might help cheer some up who are feeling down

https://interactive.aljazeera.com/aje/2016/us-elections-2016-who-can-vote/index.html

34 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Yes, celebrate. 

Celebrate the 3rd world polarized shit hole that can't even handle a virus without completely quitting.

Celebrate. Because your corporate masters expect it. 

I do like beer, and I will drink more than usual, before I shoot guns.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Yes, celebrate. 

Celebrate the 3rd world polarized shit hole that can't even handle a virus without completely quitting.

lulz what a bitchmade post

We celebrate because the United States is better than what came before it. It represents a step on the road to perfection. (Hint: perfection will never be attained) 

United States independence from England was a victory for good and that's why it should be celebrated. You don't have to think America is perfect to realize being controlled by a monarch across the ocean was worse. 

Much work remains, but if you don't celebrate the small victories along the way then you'll end up being a quitter like the ones you're whining about. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 5

45 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Yes, celebrate. 

Still bitter about Yorktown I see

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

lulz what a bitchmade post

We celebrate because the United States is better than what came before it. It represents a step on the road to perfection. (Hint: perfection will never be attained) 

United States independence from England was a victory for good and that's why it should be celebrated. You don't have to think America is perfect to realize being controlled by a monarch across the ocean was worse. 

Much work remains, but if you don't celebrate the small victories along the way then you'll end up being a quitter like the ones you're whining about. 

So you think wiping out an entire indigenous people in pure genocide just because they didn't like the way the ol' King was treating them is "better than what came before it"? I bet the native Americans don't think so. 

The world has improved because of technological advances and America had a big part in that. But now it's regressing into the dark ages of stupidity, and pardon those of us that do not wish to celebrate this incredibly dangerous and destructive transformation. 

Again, go celebrate because your corporate and political masters expect you to. Be a good pawn. 

Edited by Wanker Bob
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

So you think wiping out an entire indigenous people in pure genocide just because they didn't like the way the ol' King was treating them is "better than what came before it"? I bet the native Americans don't think so. 

The world has improved because of technological advances and America had a big part in that. But now it's regressing into the dark ages of stupidity, and pardon those of us that do not wish to celebrate this incredibly dangerous and destructive transformation. 

Again, go celebrate because your corporate and political masters expect you to. Be a good pawn. 

You sound like you hate the country, and can't think of anything to celebrate. That's sad, but hey, you can be sad all by your lonesome if you want.

You are both right and wrong. We are all in this and we have the power to make the US what we will. I choose to believe that we can finally deal with how some people were run rough-shod over and deal them a fair hand. I know it can happen and I know I can help to will it so. If you don't believe this, that is okay because you are an American with the right to raise your voice about what your "woke" eyes see to make certain that we are doing things right and for the betterment of all. It is a hard fight to make that so and takes all kinds to keep the ship afloat. I'll keep pulling the oars for us if you keep steering in the direction that we should go. We are never going to achieve a perfect union but we can get closer to that far shore by acknowledging everyone's role as vital. Even the fucking meatheads that act as ballast. They are part of the ship. God Bless the SS USA. 

• Like 3

I don’t know about you chucklefucks, but I’m going to celebrate the diversity of this great nation by grilling some carne asada, homemade salsa and borracho beans.  And drinking as much ice cold beer as I can. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

If you think the English wouldn’t have committed that same genocide, well I don’t know what to tell you.

This is the worst shape our country has been in since the Civil War.  But it’s still almost certainly better off than if it were a British Colony, especially in the long run.

39 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

As noted above, the implication that the English wouldn't have done the same thing is absurd. You're being a moron. 

Do you genuinely not realize that British rulers participated in genocide for basically a full millennium? 

Edited by Huckleberry

33 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I don’t know about you chucklefucks, but I’m going to celebrate the diversity of this great nation by grilling some carne asada, homemade salsa and borracho beans.  And drinking as much ice cold beer as I can. 

L5BV1t.gif

24 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

As noted above, the implication that the English wouldn't have done the same thing is absurd. You're being a moron. 

Do you genuinely not realize that British rulers participated in genocide for basically a full millennium? 

Hell, they invented the concentration camp.

3 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Don't blame Donald Trump. Blame the people who voted for him.

5 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I just got an email from my Representative (Roger Williams) entitled Let Freedom Ring.  Here was my response to this email, which I'm sure is a do not reply address, but it felt good anyway.

damn, and with both barrels too.  you go girl.  too bad the paidless intern will read it and your rep will never hear of it.

1 minute ago, thrillhammer said:

damn, and with both barrels too.  you go girl.  too bad the paidless intern will read it and your rep will never hear of it.

kind of makes a mockery of the word "rep", eh?

1 hour ago, Wanker Bob said:

I’m really sorry you are despairing. The truth is none of us would be here if not for the totality of good and evil in the people who preceded us. I have a remote ancestor who was a slave. Which means necessarily I have another ancestor who was a rapist. One of my grandmothers was half Native American. Which means she grew up with pretty much all of her relatives despising her for the half that wasn’t like them. I don’t know how that history contributes to who I am metaphorically, but  it literally is the reason my unique combination of DNA came to exist. Similarly the good our country has accomplished would not have occurred without the bad.

There are a lot of good people doing good works in the US right now. It is why the evil ones are lashing out so vigorously. They are like a fighter who knows he’s way behind on points and is going for the one punch knockout. Sure he might land it but I don’t think it’s going to happen. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

build the wall!  you will have rump roast and mashed potatoes and like it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

Yes, celebrate. 

take a break dude.  its a holiday.

5 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I just got an email from my Representative (Roger Williams) entitled Let Freedom Ring.  Here was my response to this email, which I'm sure is a do not reply address, but it felt good anyway.

ahh, the ole 25th! let me guess... you live in Austin?

No wait. San Marcos?

Killeen?

Stephenville? Cleburne?

South Fort Worth?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

As someone who was an unpaid intern who did that exact work for a still in power incumbent state Senator from Houston, your message will get tracked in an internal CMS system ( it at least it did in 2010). In support/Against/ on the issue of were the options. Those percentages get taken by the staff for meetings with the guy/gal Senator. And comments we wrote were always an option to be read

Edited by StassneyHorn

3 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

Yes, celebrate. 

Celebrate, because you can. 

Celebrate, because tomorrow isn’t promised to you.

Celebrate because despite its flaws, you live in one of the best countries in the world where just about anything is possible. 

Celebrate because your American wife that you’ve mentioned here is having a hard time with all things Corona, would probably like to. She grew up doing it. It’s part of summer here. 

Lighten up. Have some fun. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

So for the past couple of weeks some old man has been selling trump flags and shit from a pop up in front of the bowling alley. Flags with ar15 silhouettes, flags with trump 2020, confederate battle flags, American flags with the battle flag in lieu of the stars, just shit. 

today my wife stops by to buy some regular old glory American flags.  The motherfucker doesn’t sell those. She asks why not?  Good question he says. 

so patriotic. 

• Haha 2