TBT Basketball Tournament

F250

I put it on a few times mainly to see how they set up the court and distanced people. Zero people on the table between benches. A handful of workers and TV personnel on the opposite sideline, spread out. No cameramen on the baselines.

They use the "Elam ending" which is pretty solid, though I can't see it taking hold for NCAA or NBA. You play a normal game until the final four minutes. After the next whistle under 4:00, the game clock is turned off and the teams play to a certain score which is determined by adding eight points to the total of the team in the lead. Example: Score is 71-67 and there's a stoppage at 3:53, the clock is shut off and the first team to 78 points wins.

It allows the game to finish the same way it is normally played. The team with the lead has no incentive to bleed the clock out. The trailing team has no incentive to foul on purpose. And some potentially frantic swings if it's a close game when the target number is within reach.

10 hours ago, Bartles said:

They use the "Elam ending" which is pretty solid, though I can't see it taking hold for NCAA or NBA. You play a normal game until the final four minutes. After the next whistle under 4:00, the game clock is turned off and the teams play to a certain score which is determined by adding eight points to the total of the team in the lead. Example: Score is 71-67 and there's a stoppage at 3:53, the clock is shut off and the first team to 78 points wins.

math GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Bartles said:

I put it on a few times mainly to see how they set up the court and distanced people. Zero people on the table between benches. A handful of workers and TV personnel on the opposite sideline, spread out. No cameramen on the baselines.

It allows the game to finish the same way it is normally played. The team with the lead has no incentive to bleed the clock out. The trailing team has no incentive to foul on purpose. And some potentially frantic swings if it's a close game when the target number is within reach.

I was confused the first time it happened in a game I was watching. Once I figured out the rule it made a lot of sense and does seem to make the end of the game a lot more interesting. I always hate the way the last couple of minutes of a basketball game gets dragged with constant fouls and free throws.

Welp, a team was eliminated from the round of 16 due to a player's asymptomatic positive test. That team goes home, and obviously their previous opponents are already gone...but makes you wonder if the virus is loose inside their bubble.

On 7/7/2020 at 6:05 AM, Bartles said:

Welp, a team was eliminated from the round of 16 due to a player's asymptomatic positive test. That team goes home, and obviously their previous opponents are already gone...but makes you wonder if the virus is loose inside their bubble.

I believe there have been no additional positive tests for the rest of this week. It seems their aggressive stance of removing entire teams from the tournament has worked in maintaining the bubble.

I do not see things going so well with the NBA bubble who will not be as aggressive with infections.

Edited by F250

NBA isn't removing whole teams, that would never have been agreed upon. But they do have plans to isolate and replace positive players. Since they are testing daily, any infection shouldn't get very far.

The nightmare scenario is an infected guy gets into a game, like if he tests negative but then the virus becomes contagious that same day. We'll see soon enough

I agree, but it would be too much of a system shock for everyone who's made their careers the old way. Bleeding out the clock with a big lead, and the chance for "teachable moments" anytime your NCAA team is down 10 with 1:30 left and a couple timeouts.

20 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Can we just make the Elam ending universal across basketball? These endings are so much better than the typical foul-shot contest in most games.

This X1000.

It makes a huge difference in the quality of the game. I can't imagine anyone preferring a situation where basketball is plaid in slow motion for the last few minutes.