Charlie Daniels has died

Longboard Horn

19 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

I feel like this is the perfect time to celebrate both the life of Charlie Daniels and the 1983 Cinematic Classic: Stroker Ace.

Charlie made some damn fine music, but the Devil's solo was obviously the better of the two.

Stroker Ace was obviously an Oscar caliber film in 1983, but lost out due to the political Academy going with Ghandi instead to show how woke they are.

Thank you, O&W. This is the kind of thing I need to get me through these times.

Do you mind if I periodically come back and play it again, son?

I only found out a couple of years ago that he was kind of more in Allman Bros groove before he switched to straight country.

I met him one time and he couldn't have been a nicer or more down to earth guy. We certainly didn't agree on politics but I never let that interfere with my love for his music or the knowledge that he was a really good dude. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

RIP CHARLIE D.....  🙏 

What is it about a cuss word that gets a crowd all worked up? Like the "secret verse" of Friends in Low Places. RIP Charlie.

18 minutes ago, 4th_and_18 said:

So we’re all clear on the difference between Charlie Daniels and Hank Williams Jr right? One is Bocephus. The other one just died.

Oh, I fucked up the nickname.  Shit.   Well, it was meant to be a quick tribute to throw out on twitter or Facebook to show people you cared, not rehash his Wikipedia entry. 

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Oh, I fucked up the nickname.  Shit.   Well, it was meant to be a quick tribute to throw out on twitter or Facebook to show people you cared, not rehash his Wikipedia entry. 

The rest of it is perfect...ly inaccurate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rip76 said:

The tightness of the drums and bass starting at :29 gets me every time.  RIP CD

Circa 1995, pre-kids, my ex-wife and I would roll out of bed around nine or ten on Saturday mornings hungover and head for this Nashville dive called Springwater. It's now hipsterfied, but back then it was straight redneck dive. No matter how early we got there it was always already jumpin'...$3 Busch pitchers, 25 cent pool, and $5 bought you the jukebox for hours. This was the anthem of that little era for us -- I can see the sun streaming through the cigarette smoke when the door would open, smell the beer, and hear the crack of the cueball off the rack still to this day. Yeah, the lyrics are embarrassing and retro but Charlie was surprisingly progressive back in the day. Classic case of the public redneck who had a heart of gold in private...Most people don't know now that he was one of the few brave hillbillies to actually protest Vietnam in 1969.  It's hard to overstate how much balls that took at that time. He also later was very active in the Jimmy Carter campaign and supported him through his presidency.

I think there are a lot of rednecks out there like him who lost their youthful idealism and just let their minds rot into "simple solutions" to hard problems...I don't know...It's hard to explain. He always kinda felt like family to me in that no matter how much I disagreed with his opinions, I knew he meant well and was a good dude deep down. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Yeah, the lyrics are embarrassing and retro but Charlie was surprisingly progressive back in the day. Classic case of the public redneck who had a heart of gold in private...Most people don't know now that he was one of the few brave hillbillies to actually protest Vietnam in 1969.  It's hard to overstate how much balls that took at that time. He also later was very active in the Jimmy Carter campaign and supported him through his presidency.

Charlie was a session musician on 3 or 4 of Bob Dylan's albums, was a session musician for Ringo Starr, and toured with Leonard Cohen.

Not your stereotypical hillbilly/redneck musician.   

• Like 2