Austin area Golf Membership costs?

Not financially viable at that number unless it’s a very exclusive and very expensive club like Lochinvar.  In Houston, Lakeside and HCC have 800+ members with membership cost at $100K+ 

This. And weekend tee times have been very hard to get especially during the covid era with people traveling less and college and high school kids staying home.

But do those clubs have more than one course? 

I knew ACC had a big golf membership base (which is weird because everybody I know that belongs there acts like its the rarest membership in the continental United States, it's like watching "Mean Girls" listening to these guys jockey for a permanent locker), and I know they only have the one course---but I just assumed that was normal.  I didn't realize until the comments on here that well under 500:1 was far more the norm.  I would think it'd be tough to make work at 200:1 as well, in terms of finances.  As Al Czervik once said, biggest wastes of prime real estate.  Though I do enjoy visiting them on other people's dimes.  

Edited by Lobo

31 minutes ago, Lobo said:

But do those clubs have more than one course? 

I knew ACC had a big golf membership base (which is weird because everybody I know that belongs there acts like its the rarest membership in the continental United States, it's like watching "Mean Girls" listening to these guys jockey for a permanent locker), and I know they only have the one course---but I just assumed that was normal.  I didn't realize until the comments on here that well under 500:1 was far more the norm.  I would think it'd be tough to make work at 200:1 as well, in terms of finances.  As Al Czervik once said, biggest wastes of prime real estate.  Though I do enjoy visiting them on other people's dimes.  

Those clubs (Lakeside, HCC, and ROCC for that matter) have only 18 holes.  ROCC does have a small par 3 course.  Most people do not join those clubs strictly for the golf.  It's to be with their friends and family.

I know whey people join golf clubs, but thank you for the insight.  was merely inquiring about how many holes and how many memberships start to make sense (obviously the rates differ from club to club based on location and amenities).  Like some others, I was surprised to hear 800:1 down to 200:1.  

I wish I could take more advantage of my golfing privileges.  It gets on to a bunch of really nice courses around the state and the country, but I play one round a year at best.  I know the prices at most clubs, but didn't realize what a clusterfuck it must be at many of them to get a decent tee-time.  Y'all must really love golf.  I'll be at the bar.

Not financially viable at that number unless it’s a very exclusive and very expensive club like Lochinvar.  In Houston, Lakeside and HCC have 800+ members with membership cost at $100K+ 

Not true. The key is to get more $ from the margin (dinners etc.) and not have insane overhead that those places do. But it’s an arms race in a lot of places so that happens anyway.

I know whey people join golf clubs, but thank you for the insight.  was merely inquiring about how many holes and how many memberships start to make sense (obviously the rates differ from club to club based on location and amenities).  Like some others, I was surprised to hear 800:1 down to 200:1.  
I wish I could take more advantage of my golfing privileges.  It gets on to a bunch of really nice courses around the state and the country, but I play one round a year at best.  I know the prices at most clubs, but didn't realize what a clusterfuck it must be at many of them to get a decent tee-time.  Y'all must really love golf.  I'll be at the bar.

Where are you a member?

I am not a member of a golf club, hence my lack of knowledge about how many members to how many courses makes financial sense/sense for access for the members.  A board seat I have, that operates in the industry, affords us some access here and there.  

Edited by Lobo

14 hours ago, HouTex said:

^^^ the why people join these clubs part was in response to Crash Davis’s post. I’ve never figured out how to respond to multiple posts in one post.

i was joking in my question. it's been well argued that joining clubs strictly for golf doesn't make financial sense, strictly speaking.

• 3 months later...
Does anybody have current info on the initiation and membership costs on any of the following:
  • Forest Creek
  • Georgetown Country Club
  • Berry Creek
  • Cowan Creek
  • White Wing
  • Twin Creeks

No, but Forest Creek is a nice course and a pretty fantastic value as a casual public player, IMO. I’d be surprised if paying for a membership there was worth it.