Patrick Mahomes Signs 10 Year Extension with Kansas City

Vic Mackey

Assuming the number automatically adjusts as a % of the cap whenever the cap goes up, this is a really smart way to do it from both sides' perspectives. KC gets their superstar locked down and spreads out the massive guaranteed payment as long as they can and Mahomes gets essentially a baseball contract.

13 minutes ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

Damn, I bet all TT NFL contracts combined didn't reach $400,000,000 before this.

Or Texas quarterbacks...

Thing is, if he stays healthy, he's likely to be underpaid overall.

Edited by slorch

9 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

I mean... I think that's true of literally every college. I think only other one is NC State if you allow them credit for Russell Wilson

indeed, I only took the shot because..well... 

Crabtree $62mm

Zach $43mm

Welker $41mm

Amendola $35mm

Yeah, not even close.

4 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Michigan maybe.  Brady never got paid huge but he's been playing forever.

It's probably close. Brady is only 285 with the TB contract. Henne + Grbac + Harbaugh + Griese + scraps probably gets you close. Don't care enough to check

And there it is. The contract is actually for 140 million. 

If it's not guaranteed then it's not really a part of a "record contract" in my opinion. Mahomes can feel free to hold out if the market for QBs goes way up before a non-guaranteed season and I'd support that 100%. And the Chiefs can cut him instantly if he blows out his plant knee and throwing arm.

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

If it's not guaranteed then it's not really a part of a "record contract" in my opinion. Mahomes can feel free to hold out if the market for QBs goes way up before a non-guaranteed season and I'd support that 100%. And the Chiefs can cut him instantly if he blows out his plant knee and throwing arm.

All things considered, seems like a pretty good contract for both sides.

also... you're thinking he might hold out on a $40M+ year??

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

17 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

It's certainly a record for the NFL. Here's other QB contracts for comparison (keeping in mind we still don't know all of the details):

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

His guarantee is considerably higher than the next highest. 

14 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

also... you're thinking he might hold out on a $40M+ year??

What if Baker Mayfield is making $45M that year?

Don't laugh, it's just a hypothetical used due to historical situations. I'm just saying if the market for average QBs explodes to where $40M is average, then yeah, he might hold out. If he's still possibly the best QB in the game then he should hold out in that situation.

19 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Did Jurrah shit a brick this afternoon?

why?  You think Dak has leverage to go higher than that?

LOLz.  Maybe if they don't play this season...

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Don't laugh, it's just a hypothetical used due to historical situations. I'm just saying if the market for average QBs explodes to where $40M is average, then yeah, he might hold out. If he's still possibly the best QB in the game then he should hold out in that situation.

Then Cleveland or whoever is paying him should get a blanket party from the rest of the league for paying  that shitass impostor.

why?  You think Dak has leverage to go higher than that?

LOLz.  Maybe if they don't play this season...
No opinion, just that Cowboyz had a chance to get it over with before the most recent round of "record" signings.

Good for KC though.

26 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Holding out won't be the same in the future due to provisions in the new CBA to prevent it.

13 minutes ago, woohorn said:

No opinion, just that Cowboyz had a chance to get it over with before the most recent round of "record" signings.

Good for KC though.

fair enough.  IMHO, it makes it more defined for what Dak can ask for  in negotiations...and also more defined for the Cowboys to call bullshit, not that they would.

2 hours ago, slorch said:

...Thing is, if he stays healthy, he's likely to be underpaid overall.

The Hunts are very fiscally conservative. Always have been. (FC Dallas as well.)

Clark Hunt could have gone to any college in the country, but went to SMU because it was the family university.

Fiscally Conservative + Smart = This is going to be a great deal for the Chiefs if this contract goes any longer than 3 years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

The Hunts are very fiscally conservative. Always have been. (FC Dallas as well.)

Clark Hunt could have gone to any college in the country, but went to SMU because it was the family university.

Fiscally Conservative + Smart = This is going to be a great deal for the Chiefs if this contract goes any longer than 3 years.

It's a great deal all around if Mahomes wants any fucking teammates worth a damn after 2021.

Edited by slorch

6 minutes ago, slorch said:

It's a great deal all around if Mahomes wants any fucking teammates worth a damn after 2021.

I totally agree.

A winning QB makes up the salary gap with endorsements... because he's winning... so I don't understand why more QBs don't give up some money so that they have a better chance of winning. PLUS, the cost of living in the greater Kansas City area is so much lower than most NFL markets. And obviously, if you're a Texas Tech guy who already has the girl you want to raise a family with, the flashy living isn't #1 on your priority list. (That girlfriend he lives with couldn't compete with big city ladies on the prowl.)

4 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I don’t think you looked at the final deal. See 3 posts up. 

and my mistake in assuming continued growth of the cap.

We'll see...

Steinberg Sports said Mahomes has $477 million in guaranteed money and the contract includes opt-outs if those guarantees aren't triggered. The contract also includes a no-trade clause.

So in other words, the $477 million is not guaranteed. I see reference to $140 million injury guarantee, but no description of what a guarantee mechanism is. The injury guarantee I'm sure they can insure against, but how money is he actually guaranteed if he forgets how to throw a football next year? 

Edited by Blotto

1 minute ago, TonyTexas said:

You haven’t seen the contract and don’t have a clue what is and isn’t guaranteed 

You are correct, I have not seen the contract. But according to his own agent, he can opt out of the contract if the guarantee mechanisms aren't triggered. I'm guessing that they are using a pretty liberal interpretation of the word guarantee. How much money will Mahomes get regardless of what happens the second after he signs the contract? 

Who knows if this is accurate, but it also mirrors the thoughts in this discussion of mahomes deal.... https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/06/patrick-mahomes-deal-has-477-million-in-guarantee-mechanisms/

That last part amounts to new terminology as far as NFL contracts are concerned. It sounds like rolling guarantees that apply to each and every season, forcing the Chiefs to commit to Mahomes early in a given offseason, presumably in March. If they don’t want to make the commitment for the next season in any given offseason, they’d have to cut him and he’d become a free agent.

Not what I consider a guarantee, but if that's what everybody wants to call it, OK sure. 

3 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

This was worth a solid two minutes of laughter ... and I'm not even a Bears fan. Thanks.

Bears most likely would have ruined Mahomes or at the least, he would be nowhere what he is now. Going to Andy Reid was the best thing for him. He gets the best out of any QB he has and is an offensive genius.

I remember when the Bears fans were extremely high on Trubisky after the 2018 season, even after losing to the Eagles in the playoffs. And then he took a huge step back last year and looked terribly. Well except when he looked like Joe Montana against the Cowboys defense.