Patrick Mahomes Signs 10 Year Extension with Kansas City

Vic Mackey

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

That's actually pretty well-crafted by the chiefs and team friendly enough. He's underpaid through 2022, then will be about at or slightly below his value for the next four years (through 2026). 2027 is sort of a poison pill year at $60mm where they could restructure, cut without much cap issue (should they so choose), or just pay him because that will probably be what top QBs make by then. And after that it drops back down into the 40s as he would be entering the tail-end of his career.

I don't see any year in there where he's going to be grossly overpaid as the cap goes up. Maybe 2027, but probably not even that. 

Edited by BradInATX

So if you don't read OvertheCap.com then you should, because it's excellent.

Here's the breakdown of Mahomes new contract from the site: https://overthecap.com/player/patrick-mahomes/5594/

And here's Jason Fitzgerald's thoughts on the contract: https://overthecap.com/thoughts-on-mahomes-450-million-contract/

I think Mahomes probably has an "out" in the middle of it because as Fitzgerald points out he's going to be a MASSIVE cap hit to the Chefs in the middle of it. Good chance this thing is renegotiated or Mahomes becomes a free agent before the contract is complete. 

12 hours ago, The Dog said:

So if you don't read OvertheCap.com then you should, because it's excellent.

Here's the breakdown of Mahomes new contract from the site: https://overthecap.com/player/patrick-mahomes/5594/

And here's Jason Fitzgerald's thoughts on the contract: https://overthecap.com/thoughts-on-mahomes-450-million-contract/

I think Mahomes probably has an "out" in the middle of it because as Fitzgerald points out he's going to be a MASSIVE cap hit to the Chefs in the middle of it. Good chance this thing is renegotiated or Mahomes becomes a free agent before the contract is complete. 

I'm still confused. The question was asked earlier. The "guaranteed" money, in my opinion, is how much does he get if he forgets how to throw a football next year. This site says $53 million, the tweet above says $53 million, or $103 M (by next March). So if he sucks immediately next year he gets $53 million if they want to cut him, and if he has a good year next year and sucks the next, it's $103 million to get rid of him? I understand that you aren't going to cut him after one or even two bad years, but I'm still trying to understand what "guaranteed" money means in this context. I also don't think he's going to not be good, but that has to be the assumption when thinking about "guaranteed" money.

Edited by 'stache

18 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I'm still confused. The question was asked earlier. The "guaranteed" money, in my opinion, is how much does he get if he forgets how to throw a football next year. This site says $53 million, the tweet above says $53 million, or $103 M (by next March). So if he sucks immediately next year he gets $53 million if they want to cut him, and if he has a good year next year and sucks the next, it's $103 million to get rid of him? I understand that you aren't going to cut him after one or even two bad years, but I'm still trying to understand what "guaranteed" money means in this context. I also don't think he's going to not be good, but that has to be the assumption when thinking about "guaranteed" money.

Yeah it's complicated. There's an explanation in the "Contract Notes" section.

The $53 million is fully guaranteed at contract signing, which includes the 2020-2022 seasons.

On the third "league day" of each season starting in 2021 the season 2 years afterwards becomes fully guaranteed (to try to simplify things). So in other words, if he's on the team in 2021 (highly likely) his guarantees increase for the amount of the 2023 season (including salary and roster bonus). This continues for several years before it only guarantees the roster bonuses or salary, but by then they will likely re-negotiate.

Edited by The Dog
dang complicated contract shit

16 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

So at the end of year 4 Mahomes will have earned over $40MM more than what the next highest paid QB, Russell Wilson, will get over the course of his 4 yr contract. 

his agent needs to be in a hall of fame, of just him 

5 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

So glad the Texans did not take him.  They would have ruined him.

Watson has been excellent.   If this season is played, it’s gonna be a huge statement for him, without DHop and with the genius BillOBrien still calling the shots.    

I agree that I was happy as hell the moment KC picked Mahomes.  Of course I never imagined THIS, but the potential for great things was certainly there.  Watson’s performance sans the same kind of leadership/ savvy from the sideline makes him all the more impressive to me, as well.

3 hours ago, slorch said:

Watson has been excellent.   If this season is played, it’s gonna be a huge statement for him, without DHop and with the genius BillOBrien still calling the shots.    

I agree that I was happy as hell the moment KC picked Mahomes.  Of course I never imagined THIS, but the potential for great things was certainly there.  Watson’s performance sans the same kind of leadership/ savvy from the sideline makes him all the more impressive to me, as well.

I agree Watson is great, he deserves better than the Texans.  It is BoB that would have ruined Mahomes.  

• Like 1

The other thing the football fan in me wants to see down the road is what Eric Bienemy has absorbed from Big Red and how he will execute an offense on his own, without Mahomes.  I think he deserves more credit for what the KC RBs have done and how that has affected the offense overall.

He's going to be a HC some day.  I look forward to seeing how he does.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
7 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Mahomes opens first Whataburger with the Kansas City limits….

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/patrick-mahomes-opens-1st-whataburger-in-kansas-city/

i would have killed for that.  spent 97-09 in KC and the CLOSEST freaking WB was in Stillwater, like 5 hours away.   

Myself and a few other UT Grads living in KC sometime in spring/summer around 03-04, had made plans, got up early on a Sat morn, made a roadtrip to Stillwater, pigged out on WB, and drove back to KC, having accomplished nothing other than burn gas, take 14 hours and have a much needed WB fix satisfied.

having one in the damn city limits was my dream..... not fulfilled for another 13 years after I left

but then again, nothing tops whichever Shagsters in 07/08 bought fresh WB, stuffed it into a 3 day USPS priority mail box and sent it to @Macanudo  stuck in bumfuck Alaska as a surprise box gift, knowing that when he opened it, it would just piss him off.

once opened, He got all the smells of WB, but couldnt eat the 3 day old food.... was an epic shagster prank played on him

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

i would have killed for that.  spent 97-09 in KC and the CLOSEST freaking WB was in Stillwater, like 5 hours away.   

Myself and a few other UT Grads living in KC sometime in spring/summer around 03-04, had made plans, got up early on a Sat morn, made a roadtrip to Stillwater, pigged out on WB, and drove back to KC, having accomplished nothing other than burn gas, take 14 hours and have a much needed WB fix satisfied.

having one in the damn city limits was my dream..... not fulfilled for another 13 years after I left

but then again, nothing tops whichever Shagsters in 07/08 bought fresh WB, stuffed it into a 3 day USPS priority mail box and sent it to @Macanudo  stuck in bumfuck Alaska as a surprise box gift, knowing that when he opened it, it would just piss him off.

once opened, He got all the smells of WB, but couldnt eat the 3 day old food.... was an epic shagster prank played on him

It was Ctl+Alt+Del. And while it did piss me of it was also funny as shit.  Dang, that was over 15 years ago.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Macanudo said:

It was Ctl+Alt+Del. And while it did piss me of it was also funny as shit.  Dang, that was over 15 years ago.

AHH..

its been so long...  All I really remember is your ranting post on the Football board

saying something like "OK WHICH OF YOU ASSHOLES DID THIS!!!!!!!"

and the thread is just pics of 3 day old WB and the box they came in and you screaming who the hell sent me 3 day old WB!!!!!!!

Mahomes opens first Whataburger with the Kansas City limits….
https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/patrick-mahomes-opens-1st-whataburger-in-kansas-city/

All Texas Tech fans, and in fact all decent Texans, should make an effort and flood Mahomes with tweets, emails, letters, urging him to use his platform and brand to compel Whataburger corporate to quit fucking around and return the missing menu items.

I bet he makes his goofball dipshit brother work at one of his stores.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

All Texas Tech fans, and in fact all decent Texans, should make an effort and flood Mahomes with tweets, emails, letters, urging him to use his platform and brand to compel Whataburger corporate to quit fucking around and return the missing menu items.

I bet he makes his goofball dipshit brother work at one of his stores.

Yes. He will report to shreddy Betty.