Bathtub Replacement - Drain Assembly Question

We currently have a right side draining bathtub.  We're wanting to replace it with a freestanding center draining tub.  Does anyone have experience with installing a bathtub where you've had to build a pvc drain line to an existing drain?  I'm wondering how important it is to center the new bathtub drain over the existing drain. TIA.

10 hours ago, Updawg said:

So you want to run a pipe underneath a freestanding claw type tub to the existing drain?

it's freestanding but not a claw.  the bathtub is draped on all sides so you won't see the pipe.

9 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

1st floor of the house & in concrete or 2nd floor & with wood to consider?

1st floor concrete.

11 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

We currently have a right side draining bathtub.  We're wanting to replace it with a freestanding center draining tub.  Does anyone have experience with installing a bathtub where you've had to build a pvc drain line to an existing drain?  I'm wondering how important it is to center the new bathtub drain over the existing drain. TIA.

That seems to be the trickier part - relocating the drain.  Those tubs look great by the way. Next is the wall toilet. It might a good investment of time to look at wet bathrooms. We appear to be headed that way. Scheduled warming of the floor so that it is warm when the first person needs it. 

I think Jacuzzi has a kit. Don't know if it appropriate for your setting. It incorporates a drainpipe that looks like a dryer vent. I guess that is the new normal.

First floor concrete requires a platform - no? 

Edited by washparkhorn

4 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

That seems to be the trickier part - relocating the drain.  Those tubs look great by the way. Next is the wall toilet. It might a good investment of time to look at wet bathrooms. We appear to be headed that way. Scheduled warming of the floor so that it is warm when the first person needs it. 

I think Jacuzzi has a kit. Don't know if it appropriate for your setting. It incorporates a drainpipe that looks like a dryer vent. I guess that is the new normal.

First floor concrete requires a platform - no? 

we'd like to avoid relocating the drain if we can and i think we might be able to.  right now we have your run of the mill builder grade tub so i'm thinking there's a cut out part of the slab housing a pipe running the wastewater from the bathtub drain to the actual horizontal sewage pipe in the wall.  i'm not sure though i think that's what most homes do from my short bit of research.  also i love the idea of a wet bathroom.  ours isn't big enough though unfortunately.

we're looking into floor warmers but i think we're going to pass.  haven't been able to find anything overly reliable and if something breaks you're out of luck. 

While we are on the tub drain topic:

Is there a p-trap type scenario on tub drains into the sewer pipes in general?  Or are you just supposed to keep the drain closing mechanism engaged when the tub is not in use to keep the swamp gas from emanating from the drain?

sewage-smell-2.jpg.ac4c8e09a91e0d8917a4c0b92a2c9327.jpg
fig.1.1.jpg.1a96494904cbc125b80b29eceaafca9c.jpg
First pic is ok, as the bathtub drain is vented, although the artist's depiction of how it hooks up to the tub is all fucked up. Second pic is completely fucked. That is now an "S" trap, since the trap arm (the pipe downstream of the trap but before the vent) goes up and then back down. Shit runs downhill, yada yada.
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

it's freestanding but not a claw.  the bathtub is draped on all sides so you won't see the pipe.

1st floor concrete.

1st floor concreek, huh?   Is the house slab on grade, structural slab or post tension?

If post tension and you have to cut into the concrete be very careful where you cut.  The cables in post tension slabs don’t dig getting cut on. 

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

1st floor concreek, huh?   Is the house slab on grade, structural slab or post tension?

If post tension and you have to cut into the concrete be very careful where you cut.  The cables in post tension slabs don’t dig getting cut on. 

i have no idea what our slab is.