Time to Peace Out (Relocate Overseas)?

Ghost of LL

So as we are about to enter our fourth month of lockdown with no end in sight, and as we look around at the rest of the world that has the virus more or less under control, I'm thinking of biting the bullet, doing the 14-day quarantine, and relocating elsewhere.

A few considerations on this:

1) I can really do my job from anywhere in the world at this point.  All court hearings are remote.  All client meetings are remote.  I can ship my workstation anywhere and get my shit done, whether I'm in Austin or Australia (though the hours in Australia might be a challenge).

2) If the TEA says that all kids need to go back to school in person--fuck that noise.  At the same time they're saying that, the state doesn't provide any funding for a safe return to in-class school.  We'll do remote private school before we do that.  And that's going to cost a metric fuckton.

So at this point, isn't it a viable alternative to relocate to Canada or Europe, get a residency visa for a year, enroll the kids in school (either public school or the American school wherever we are), and work from Toronto/Paris/Berlin?

What's the downside of this plan?

So this is mainly motivated by the concern for being forced to send your kids back to school in person? I thought there was an online option if you didn't want them in the classroom. If I wanted to go north, I'd try Vancouver.

Do the Bahamas have WIFI? Go there to one of the little islands and stay away from people.  Get your kids into marine biology.

1 minute ago, bolverk said:

@Ghost of LLHave you considered the time it would require to obtain a Visa might be longer than the time necessary for us to tackle it? Or are you thinking something more long-term than just riding this out offshore?

That what I was thinking, it takes a while to get that type of visa. 

Npr was actually talking about the issues with working remotely out of country the other day.  not only with visas, but tax headaches. Why not just pick some place in the USA that this has already spread through. Like New York? 

7 minutes ago, bolverk said:

@Ghost of LLHave you considered the time it would require to obtain a Visa might be longer than the time necessary for us to tackle it? Or are you thinking something more long-term than just riding this out offshore?

No--it'd just be for the duration of the 'Rona.  But that looks like it may be another year.

7 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

So this is mainly motivated by the concern for being forced to send your kids back to school in person? I thought there was an online option if you didn't want them in the classroom. If I wanted to go north, I'd try Vancouver.

Do the Bahamas have WIFI? Go there to one of the little islands and stay away from people.  Get your kids into marine biology.

I don't think they have any feel for what the options are right now.  The last I heard, there was going to be an online option.  But yesterday, Morath laid down an edict that schools had to be in-person.  But I think it's unclear whether that forecloses some students being remote.

2 minutes ago, Xian said:

That what I was thinking, it takes a while to get that type of visa. 

Npr was actually talking about the issues with working remotely out of country the other day.  not only with visas, but tax headaches. Why not just pick some place in the USA that this has already spread through. Like New York? 

New York would be an interesting option.  Mrs.LL would love it--being back amongst her people.

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

No--it'd just be for the duration of the 'Rona.  But that looks like it may be another year.

I don't think they have any feel for what the options are right now.  The last I heard, there was going to be an online option.  But yesterday, Morath laid down an edict that schools had to be in-person.  But I think it's unclear whether that forecloses some students being remote.

New York would be an interesting option.  Mrs.LL would love it--being back amongst her people.

According to Worldometers, Vermont only has 159 active cases right now.

53 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

So as we are about to enter our fourth month of lockdown with no end in sight, and as we look around at the rest of the world that has the virus more or less under control, I'm thinking of biting the bullet, doing the 14-day quarantine, and relocating elsewhere.

A few considerations on this:

1) I can really do my job from anywhere in the world at this point.  All court hearings are remote.  All client meetings are remote.  I can ship my workstation anywhere and get my shit done, whether I'm in Austin or Australia (though the hours in Australia might be a challenge).

2) If the TEA says that all kids need to go back to school in person--fuck that noise.  At the same time they're saying that, the state doesn't provide any funding for a safe return to in-class school.  We'll do remote private school before we do that.  And that's going to cost a metric fuckton.

So at this point, isn't it a viable alternative to relocate to Canada or Europe, get a residency visa for a year, enroll the kids in school (either public school or the American school wherever we are), and work from Toronto/Paris/Berlin?

What's the downside of this plan?

Both Europe and Canada have a travel ban against us right now.  How are you going to gain entry?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Does St. Petersburg (FL not Rus) count?

71fCQIvF36L._AC_SL1500___63778.158101477

Seriously, I would look for options that you can move on quickly. Go to New Zealand but be prepared to get out of their as needed. Remote learning for your kids would be key. 

Much depends on you can afford to spend. If you're doing this because of health concerns perhaps you might be willing to dip into savings for the short term.

Hawaii would seem to be ideal right now. Low infection rate. Outdoor culture. Language won't be a problem. Not cheap though. Depending on your kids' ages, they might get their ass kicked from time to time by locals. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

We have jokingly but somewhat seriously are considering our options to move abroad. SO is a founder and her team is fully remote. My job is mostly int'l, and I can switch jobs fairly easily so have looked into the Nordic countries. I think most countries only require $250k -$500k investment locally for special visa....Obviously, not viable for all people....

• Like 1

So, if you go to the food and travel page you can see that I am doing this throughout America in an RV for many of the am we reasons you are talking about. You are doing it classier than I am,  it conceptually similar. 
do it. It’s awesome. There’s no real downside- it will be an adventure (moving abroad) for your family. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So, if you go to the food and travel page you can see that I am doing this throughout America in an RV for many of the am we reasons you are talking about. You are doing it classier than I am,  it conceptually similar. 
do it. It’s awesome. There’s no real downside- it will be an adventure (moving abroad) for your family. 

I think roving the countryside and visiting WalMarts weekly is the EXACT opposite of what he is trying to accomplish.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Guest Lobo

timely thread.   Wife and I started talking about moving down to either my aunt’s place in Costa Rica (she’s A Tica but splits her time between Chicago and Florida) or leasing our house in Austin and moving to a condo in Canada.  From November thru February.  

Edited by Lobo

36 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Both Europe and Canada have a travel ban against us right now.  How are you going to gain entry?

Don't discourage Don Quixote with such trivial details....

Edited by clapclapclap
Hey OP, might be some good deals in Hong Kong now....

31 minutes ago, LABEVO said:

We have jokingly but somewhat seriously are considering our options to move abroad. SO is a founder and her team is fully remote. My job is mostly int'l, and I can switch jobs fairly easily so have looked into the Nordic countries. I think most countries only require $250k -$500k investment locally for special visa....Obviously, not viable for all people....

Almost all of the "investment" visas require investment in something where you will lose your ass.  Like arts or local infrastructure in undeveloped areas, etc.