Time to Peace Out (Relocate Overseas)?

Ghost of LL

30 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

this thread went as expected.

I would love the opportunity to live in another country. I'm absolutely looking forward to it when I retire. People do it all the time for all sorts of reasons, jobs, bitches, cost of live, better quality of life, etc. Why is moving because of the rona any different?

I want to see if the America Fuck Yea people have ever really traveled abroad. Going to Cancun/Cabo is not traveling abroad. Neither is traveling to a foreign country and bitching the whole time because it's not America. America is great place to live, but so are many other countries.

I think like anything else, it's for some and not for others.  I've had extended stays ( half a year here, year and half there) in some really shitty places, and some desirable places.  I never really enjoyed it.  I think it was usually tied to the food.  IMO, if you can find good food, you can be pretty damn happy.  At least that's my .02.  I know, username checks out.   

And whoever mentioned the Bahamas up thread, no.  It gets old to very old after a month or so, and after a year, you won't care if you ever see the islands again.  

Good luck in your search LL.  The school issue has my family pondering our next move, but I need to be local for work.  I wouldn't mind shacking up down in Rockport and social distancing myself on the back porch or the flats every evening.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'm not moving but I've never been more disillusioned and disappointed with this country than I am today. The politics (on both sides of the aisle) are disgusting enough, but the general populace and its extraordinary level of ignorance, selfishness and irresponsibility is just shocking. I mean, this isn't that fucking difficult. Wear a mask, stay the fuck away from people outside of your household as much as possible, and this shit will subside into something manageable in just a few weeks. Instead, we are going to keep repeatedly shooting ourselves in the dick for the foreseeable future, prolonging the pain and agony while compounding the damage to the economy, the overall mental health of the citizenry, the healthcare system and our educational system/kids.

It's fucking embarrassing how poorly our country has failed at addressing this virus. Literally every industrialized nation in the world has handled this better than we have. We should be the leaders in this. We should have heeded the warnings from China, then Italy, then Spain... and for sure in our own backyard in New York. We had a headstart on all those assholes and instead, we drove the car right into the ditch while ignoring science and basic common sense. It's really hard for me to fathom how badly we, as a country, have fucked this thing up.

i'm in the same boat in terms of being disillusioned, but what has transpired has been entirely predictable to me. the fact that we have reacted so atrociously as a country isn't an anomaly...it's a very clear indicator of who we are, as a society and as the institutions tasked with safeguarding that society.

44 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Why the fuck haven't you done this already? If this were an option, there is no reason to not be there. 

Grandparents (my parents and wife's parents) aren't great health wise.  Now that this is behind them, I'm in the process of making it happen.

40 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

counterpoint: heb

This too.  I love my HEB when it's open.

1 minute ago, pearlandhorn said:

Grandparents (my parents and wife's parents) aren't great health wise.  Now that this is behind them, I'm in the process of making it happen.

32 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i'm in the same boat in terms of being disillusioned, but what has transpired has been entirely predictable to me. the fact that we have reacted so atrociously as a country isn't an anomaly...it's a very clear indicator of who we are, as a society and as the institutions tasked with safeguarding that society.

I guess I was in denial and that's probably why I am so angry right now. I expect(ed) so much more. I thought that when faced with a crisis, that this country would stop acting so selfishly and respond appropriately. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I've been everywhere man. Loved every place I've been (except Russia, but that's because I spent most of my time in the shitty part of the Kuznetsk Basin). 

Just off the top of my head:

England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, Germany, France, Hungary, Slovakia, Austria, Poland, Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands, Norway, China, Australia, Mongolia, Indonesia, South Korea, Australia, Canada, Mexico, South Africa, Botswana, Swaziland, Mozambique, Senegal, Brazil, Peru, Chile, Bahamas.

America. Fuck yeah. It's home.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I guess I was in denial and that's probably why I am so angry right now. I expect(ed) so much more. I thought that when faced with a crisis, that this country would stop acting so selfishly and respond appropriately. 

It's like that everywhere. I talk to friends all over the world and they say the same about their citizenry. It's just that the media (mostly social media) turns everything to 11. 

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So, if you go to the food and travel page you can see that I am doing this throughout America in an RV for many of the am we reasons you are talking about. You are doing it classier than I am,  it conceptually similar. 
do it. It’s awesome. There’s no real downside- it will be an adventure (moving abroad) for your family. 

Not everyone wants a fuck tent.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

It's like that everywhere. I talk to friends all over the world and they say the same about their citizenry. It's just that the media (mostly social media) turns everything to 11. 

I know you really don't want to admit that America screwed something up, but it's a fool's errand to try to say that that everywhere else is just like us re:Covid. They absolutely are not, and you know that. We are one of the worst countries on Earth in terms of our Covid situation right now while Europe and most of the first world has it under control.

Edited by BradInATX

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

timely thread.   Wife and I started talking about moving down to either my aunt’s place in Costa Rica (she’s A Tica but splits her time between Chicago and Florida) or leasing our house in Austin and moving to a condo in Canada.  From November thru February.  

I tried to get my wife to rent out our house and move to CR a few months ago.  She said no, sadly.  I would love to spend half the year there and the other half in the mountains.  I'm not done working on her for that. 

3 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i'm considering moving overseas because i'm realizing i live in failed state at this point and when i weigh the benefits of living here versus the benefits of living elsewhere, it's becoming more and more difficult to convince myself that the best move is staying here. 

New Zealand would be paradise for you, I think.  They have some damn big trout down there.

• Like 1

Just now, Chewbacca said:

I tried to get my wife to rent out our house and move to CR a few months ago.  She said no, sadly.  I would love to spend half the year there and the other half in the mountains.  I'm not done working on her for that. 

This. I want to live in Southeast Asia for awhile, the closer to some pristine beach, the better. I want to live in some beautiful mountain range for awhile: Spain, France, Italy, Switzerland, even Colorado, Canadian Rockies, don't matter. I want to live in Sydney for awhile. I want to do CR. I want to do Buenos Aires, Provence in France. Shit even some pristine place in Mexico.

There are so many amazing places to live. Covid would be a nice excuse to make it happen for awhile. If I could've, I already would've. 

I have dual citizenship but the other country is worse off with the rona than the US.  Seriously, I’ve been all over the world and still believe the US to be the best but I share some of the pessimism about the general stupidity of people here.  We’ll get through this eventually  but it’s really going to suck for a while.  Like another year at least.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I wish we could all live in the mountains at high altitude. That's where I see myself in five years.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I wish we could all live in the mountains at high altitude. That's where I see myself in five years.

Fuck that.  Would be way too many people up there!

That's where I see myself tonight.  Getting a new stove delivered tomorrow morning, so we're going up for the weekend early.

8 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

This. I want to live in Southeast Asia for awhile, the closer to some pristine beach, the better. I want to live in some beautiful mountain range for awhile: Spain, France, Italy, Switzerland, even Colorado, Canadian Rockies, don't matter. I want to live in Sydney for awhile. I want to do CR. I want to do Buenos Aires, Provence in France. Shit even some pristine place in Mexico.

There are so many amazing places to live. Covid would be a nice excuse to make it happen for awhile. If I could've, I already would've. 

Once my kids are out of the house (youngest is 13), I think I'm going to make this happen.  Maybe 3-6 months in CR first to see how we like it.  I still need to work but I can do it anywhere I have a printer and the internet.

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Don't sell your homes in Texas until you experience a winter in the high Rockies.

I've lived in Texas for over 45 years. We have no high ground when bitching about weather in other places. The only way to survive Texas summers is to be in water. If not, you cannot do anything outside for 3 months out of the year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I've lived in Texas for over 45 years. We have no high ground when bitching about weather in other places. The only way to survive Texas summers is to be in water. If not, you cannot do anything outside for 3 months out of the year.

Shut your whore mouth.

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

Shut your whore mouth.

I have a co-worker who last October moved to Ft Worth from Pittsburgh. She absolutely loved the mild winter. I laughed and told her to save her joy until she experienced a Texas summer. Yea, it's only July and she already hates Texas summers.

21 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I like Texas summer. But I'm in water a lot. And I have no problem playing golf in 100+ degrees. Only sucks if there's zero wind. 

A client of mine has been trying to convince me that moving to New Zealand would be in my best interest for the last 4 years. I started looking into it a month ago. I could continue working in the US, and eventually do the same thing there. My wife would never go for it. She’s too close with her family and I couldn’t drag them away.

23 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Houston summer is way the fuck different than Amarillo summer...   just sayin.

as far as up-thread, folks saying other countries are inviting too versus the USA.   I'm sure there are, but I'm not going to like em all.   I don't even like all of the states...  There's about 5 I wouldn't mind living in if i had to.  There's about 40 that I'd straight up say, "Fuck no."

Getting ready to sell the house, and starting construction on a smaller, cash on the barrel head new home.  Thinking seriously about renting an apt. in Europe somewhere this Fall for 30-60 days or do 2 different countries/cities (travel ban needs to end first) as construction begins. Working on a couple  Euro heavy flavored traditional homes, and a little first hand investigation could be a nice IRS friendly business expense.

A client of mine has been trying to convince me that moving to New Zealand would be in my best interest for the last 4 years. I started looking into it a month ago. I could continue working in the US, and eventually do the same thing there. My wife would never go for it. She’s too close with her family and I couldn’t drag them away.

Sounds like a good excuse to ditch her

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

New Zealand would be paradise for you, I think.  They have some damn big trout down there.

Unbelievably big trout.

Good luck getting to live there. Had a friend marry a Kiwi last year and they denied him citizenship, because he's retired and there was concern he would end up going on the government dole. Said he wouldn't have married her if he'd known that. Lulz. 

Edited by Deej

42 minutes ago, Deej said:

Unbelievably big trout.

Good luck getting to live there. Had a friend marry a Kiwi last year and they denied him citizenship, because he's retired and there was concern he would end up going on the government dole. Said he wouldn't have married her if he'd known that. Lulz. 

Wow that seems like a restrictive immigration policy.  Definitely a backwards place that LL and DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt should eliminate from their lists. 

• Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Wow that seems like a restrictive immigration policy.  Definitely a backwards place that LL and DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt should eliminate from their lists. 

And he's not even brown. 

I'm moving to London in mid-September.  House in Houston closes late August, movers pack up a few days later, then driving to Terlingua for one final hurrah before flying out.  The move isn't Covid related as it's been in the plans with me and the wife for around 5 years. We have passports from our previous 6 years over there so getting in is easy. It's just taken that long with career, money, etc. to get it done.  Wish I wasn't moving in the middle of a global pandemic but it's now or never for my work opportunities in London and E. Europe. And if it doesn't work out or we find it's not what we want (or remember), there is always a path back. 

• Like 2