Time to Peace Out (Relocate Overseas)?

Ghost of LL

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I was playing off the originally quoted post above. I know fuck all about the Denver suburbs. I'd imagine the ones close to the mountains are cool and somewhere like Aurora sucks?

I'd think it's all relative.  Being 2 hours from world class skiing makes a lot of issues fall by the wayside in my opinion..... that, and legal weed of course...

Edited by Onboard 2.0

So millions of people claimed they were gonna move out of the country if Bush was elected President.  Then millions of other people claimed they were gonna move out of the country if Obama was President.  Now millions are claiming they will move out of the country if Trump is re-elected?  No CR, but how the fuck is there not an app yet where we can just swap visa positions with one another for cash after tectonic elections?  

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF Jr. has a big opportunity in Cozumel. On our last diving trip, the dive shop owner found out he is Mercruiser and Yamaha certified, in fact he has about $4k worth of Yamaha software loaded on his phone. Apparently, there are only two or three marine mechanics on the whole island, they work when they want, charge what they want, and their only tools are hammers, screwdrivers, crescent wrenches, and a cutting torch. The dive shop owner said he had access to a couple of million to build anything CHIEF Jr. wants, buy and ship tools, and put in a marina complete with drydock. I have been encouraging him to go do it for a few years, Mrs. CHIEF and my Mother get pretty livid about it. But, you are only young once, this would be a great opportunity. I don't think I could ever get my Mother to move down there, but Mrs. CHIEF would probably move down in about six months of him being gone.

CHIEF

Awesome, do it. Let me know if I can help, I know a lot of people on Cozumel, especially people in the dive business.

I'll be back down there in 2 days!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

What are some easy country’s to get a visa? I know Portugal has a cheap golden visa. France real estate is really cheap but my initial search shows getting a visa might be difficult. 

In Italy there are towns that will sell you a house for a $1.00 but you have to sign a contact that you''ll renovate within a certain period of time.  I have to imagine a long term visa is tied to that in some fashion.

CHIEF Jr. has a big opportunity in Cozumel. On our last diving trip, the dive shop owner found out he is Mercruiser and Yamaha certified, in fact he has about $4k worth of Yamaha software loaded on his phone. Apparently, there are only two or three marine mechanics on the whole island, they work when they want, charge what they want, and their only tools are hammers, screwdrivers, crescent wrenches, and a cutting torch. The dive shop owner said he had access to a couple of million to build anything CHIEF Jr. wants, buy and ship tools, and put in a marina complete with drydock. I have been encouraging him to go do it for a few years, Mrs. CHIEF and my Mother get pretty livid about it. But, you are only young once, this would be a great opportunity. I don't think I could ever get my Mother to move down there, but Mrs. CHIEF would probably move down in about six months of him being gone.
CHIEF

He needs to have a stake in that business if he really wants to go down there and work. Otherwise it’s just a job.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Awesome, do it. Let me know if I can help, I know a lot of people on Cozumel, especially people in the dive business.

I'll be back down there in 2 days!

Yep, I remember figuring out we were both Surly guys on one of the Cozumel boards right before we left. Apparently a diesel marine mechanic would be one of the richest people on the island after 3 months. To get your diesel fixed, you have to tow it to Playa or all the way to Cancun. 

CHIEF

11 minutes ago, troph said:

He needs to have a stake in that business if he really wants to go down there and work. Otherwise it’s just a job.

He wouldn't get controlling interest but would own a third. His current "job" would be low six figures, it would also include a free 2020 Ski Centurion wake boat if he quit entirely and worked full time. But he is a senior mechanical engineering student, and his Mom would be heartbroken if he dropped out. I told my Mom the numbers and she backed off with going through with the degree. That was never an option with me, but I didn't have the opportunities he has. If he worked full time right now, he would probably make more than I do. Me with a degree, and him without, at 22.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

He wouldn't get controlling interest but would own a third. His current "job" would be low six figures, it would also include a free 2020 Ski Centurion wake boat if he quit entirely and worked full time. But he is a senior mechanical engineering student, and his Mom would be heartbroken if he dropped out. I told my Mom the numbers and she backed off with going through with the degree. That was never an option with me, but I didn't have the opportunities he has. If he worked full time right now, he would probably make more than I do. Me with a degree, and him without, at 22.
CHIEF

That’s because he has leverage. He should use it. 1/3 probably makes sense. If this is his break he needs to make sure it’s papered right. Doesn’t have to be long and complicated though it can, but there are a lot of what ifs and scenarios to work through. In Mexico too, so that adds complexity - I’m not super familiar with US citizen ownership of Mexican companies. Sounds like a great opportunity I hope he runs with it and rakes it.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Yep, I remember figuring out we were both Surly guys on one of the Cozumel boards right before we left. Apparently a diesel marine mechanic would be one of the richest people on the island after 3 months. To get your diesel fixed, you have to tow it to Playa or all the way to Cancun. 

CHIEF

It's great for him, but there are a variety of immediate issues. He can't just move down there and start working, unless he is getting illegal cash under the table. He needs to apply for temp residency, then get permanent residency. If his sponsor has enough political grease, that can get done fast, but don't count on it. I Have a good attorney in Cozumel if you want a reference.

Also, if he starts working for under the table cash, his employer can fuck with him and make life miserable. I know plenty of DMs in Cozumel/Playa/Tulum this has happened to. Most of them moved on being owed lots of cash.

Edited by rage-a-holic
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

He signed a contract with his current employer in exchange for his certifications. He has three years left on the clock. There are four mechanics, including the owner, they bill about $27k per week, CHIEF Jr. bills at least half of it. They are still in the summer crunch and will be into winterizations starting in about 60 days and your top biller is going from 50-60 hours per week down to 20. They just expanded their shop for extra business, so naturally the owner is a a tad bit anxious, and has made some pretty outlandish offers. The owner and CHIEF Jr. are as close as brothers and CJ would not do anything to take advantage of that. However, Cozumel may not materialize as I'm sure there will be another round of outlandish offers when that opportunity presents itself. So, he has a few years to get his ducks in a row, if that is what he truly wants to do. Rage, thanks for the opportunity to use some of your connections should the opportunity happen.

CHIEF

7 hours ago, troph said:

What he said.

He said it's great for him, but there are a variety of immediate issues. He can't just move down there and start working, unless he is getting illegal cash under the table. He needs to apply for temp residency, then get permanent residency. If his sponsor has enough political grease, that can get done fast, but don't count on it. I Have a good attorney in Cozumel if you want a reference.

Also, if he starts working for under the table cash, his employer can fuck with him and make life miserable. I know plenty of DMs in Cozumel/Playa/Tulum this has happened to. Most of them moved on being owed lots of cash.

Sort of related (especially if your dreams of overseas escape have been temporarily crushed by countries' China Flu restrictions on US residents), moving inside the US has seen big changes in the last year, according to U-Haul rates:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/eric-feltens-downtime-escape-from-new-york-the-drinking-game

...To maintain inventory in New York these days, U-Haul is charging people roughly twice as much to take a truck out of the Big Apple as it is to bring one in. For example, if you need a big 26-foot box-truck to move your stuff from Manhattan to West Palm Beach, Florida, it will cost you (as of this writing) $3,892. Go from West Palm to the city that never sleeps, and it will only cost you $2,115.

And that overstates the current appeal of Gotham. Brooklyn to Chapel Hill, North Carolina, (all figures are for the big 26-foot rig) will set you back $2,603. Chapel Hill to Brooklyn, by contrast, is $492. It is an unambiguous measure of the current attractiveness of living in Brooklyn that moving there costs less than one-fifth of what you’re charged just to get the hell out.

Which brings us to the game: Each player picks two scraps of paper, each of which has the name of a city. Players guess which direction between their two cities is cheaper and what fraction (in eighths) of the more expensive destination that cost is.

Let’s say I put my hand in the hat and picked Philadelphia and San Diego. I guess Philly is the cheaper endpoint and surmise that it costs about half the freight of going the other way. A quick check of pricing on U-Haul’s website would show I won the round. Make it a drinking game (unless you have any driving to do), or make it a betting game.

Before you start betting, it’s worth becoming familiar with the magnitude of the current desperation migration. Here are a couple of examples that illustrate, in U-Haul dollars, the panicked flight from certain cities. If you want to move from Los Angeles to Phoenix, U-Haul charges $1,978. Go from Phoenix to LA, by contrast, and all you’ll need is $186.

Or take poor, hapless Portland, Oregon. A truck to take you away from there to the calmer precincts of Boise will set you back $1,242.

Boise to Portland? $91. Anyone? Anyone?

Last year's results, released in May:

https://www.uhaul.com/Articles/About/21556/Top-Us-Destination-Cities-Houston-Is-U-Haul-No-1-Destination-City-for-2019/

2019 U-HAUL DESTINATION CITIES

(Previous year ranking in parentheses)

1. HOUSTON, TX (1)

2. LAS VEGAS, NV (3)

3. SAN ANTONIO, TX (4)

4. CHICAGO, IL (2)

5. ORLANDO, FL (5)

6. AUSTIN, TX (7)

7. CHARLOTTE, NC (10)

8. PHILADELPHIA, PA (8)

9. BROOKLYN, NY (6)

10. PHOENIX, AZ (9)

11. COLUMBUS, OH (12)

12. TAMPA, FL (11)

13. SAN DIEGO, CA (14)

14. JACKSONVILLE, FL (13)

15. LOS ANGELES, CA (15)

16. INDIANAPOLIS, IN (17)

17. SACRAMENTO, CA (18)

18. DALLAS, TX (16)

19. TUCSON, AZ (19)

20. NASHVILLE, TN (22)

21. ATLANTA, GA (20)

22. MIAMI, FL (21)

23. PORTLAND, OR (29)

24. ST. LOUIS, MO (28)

25. FORT WORTH, TX (25)

26. COLORADO SPRINGS, CO (26)

27. PLANO, TX (34)

28. RALEIGH, NC (31)

29. BRONX, NY (23)

30. DENVER, CO (32)

31. CINCINNATI, OH (33)

32. RICHMOND, VA (27)

33. WASHINGTON, DC (30)

34. SAN FRANCISCO, CA (24)

35. KANSAS CITY, MO (35)

36. OVERLAND PARK, KS (37)

37. KNOXVILLE, TN (36)

38. OKLAHOMA CITY, OK (38)

39. LOUISVILLE, KY (43)

40. COLUMBIA, SC (40)

41. DURHAM, NC (NR)

42. BAKERSFIELD, CA (46)

43. SEATTLE, WA (48)

44. RENO, NV (47)

45. PITTSBURGH, PA (39)

46. MEMPHIS, TN (49)

47. SAN JOSE, CA (42)

48. TULSA, OK (45)

49. FRESNO, CA (50)

50. VANCOUVER, WA (NR)

Spoiler

la.Downtime.jpg

Edited by clapclapclap

5 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Sort of related (especially if your dreams of overseas escape have been temporarily crushed by countries' China Flu restrictions on US residents), moving inside the US has seen big changes in the last year, according to U-Haul rates:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/eric-feltens-downtime-escape-from-new-york-the-drinking-game

...To maintain inventory in New York these days, U-Haul is charging people roughly twice as much to take a truck out of the Big Apple as it is to bring one in. For example, if you need a big 26-foot box-truck to move your stuff from Manhattan to West Palm Beach, Florida, it will cost you (as of this writing) $3,892. Go from West Palm to the city that never sleeps, and it will only cost you $2,115.

And that overstates the current appeal of Gotham. Brooklyn to Chapel Hill, North Carolina, (all figures are for the big 26-foot rig) will set you back $2,603. Chapel Hill to Brooklyn, by contrast, is $492. It is an unambiguous measure of the current attractiveness of living in Brooklyn that moving there costs less than one-fifth of what you’re charged just to get the hell out.

Which brings us to the game: Each player picks two scraps of paper, each of which has the name of a city. Players guess which direction between their two cities is cheaper and what fraction (in eighths) of the more expensive destination that cost is.

Let’s say I put my hand in the hat and picked Philadelphia and San Diego. I guess Philly is the cheaper endpoint and surmise that it costs about half the freight of going the other way. A quick check of pricing on U-Haul’s website would show I won the round. Make it a drinking game (unless you have any driving to do), or make it a betting game.

Before you start betting, it’s worth becoming familiar with the magnitude of the current desperation migration. Here are a couple of examples that illustrate, in U-Haul dollars, the panicked flight from certain cities. If you want to move from Los Angeles to Phoenix, U-Haul charges $1,978. Go from Phoenix to LA, by contrast, and all you’ll need is $186.

Or take poor, hapless Portland, Oregon. A truck to take you away from there to the calmer precincts of Boise will set you back $1,242.

Boise to Portland? $91. Anyone? Anyone?

Last year's results, released in May:

https://www.uhaul.com/Articles/About/21556/Top-Us-Destination-Cities-Houston-Is-U-Haul-No-1-Destination-City-for-2019/

2019 U-HAUL DESTINATION CITIES

(Previous year ranking in parentheses)

1. HOUSTON, TX (1)

2. LAS VEGAS, NV (3)

3. SAN ANTONIO, TX (4)

4. CHICAGO, IL (2)

5. ORLANDO, FL (5)

6. AUSTIN, TX (7)

7. CHARLOTTE, NC (10)

8. PHILADELPHIA, PA (8)

9. BROOKLYN, NY (6)

10. PHOENIX, AZ (9)

11. COLUMBUS, OH (12)

12. TAMPA, FL (11)

13. SAN DIEGO, CA (14)

14. JACKSONVILLE, FL (13)

15. LOS ANGELES, CA (15)

16. INDIANAPOLIS, IN (17)

17. SACRAMENTO, CA (18)

18. DALLAS, TX (16)

19. TUCSON, AZ (19)

20. NASHVILLE, TN (22)

21. ATLANTA, GA (20)

22. MIAMI, FL (21)

23. PORTLAND, OR (29)

24. ST. LOUIS, MO (28)

25. FORT WORTH, TX (25)

26. COLORADO SPRINGS, CO (26)

27. PLANO, TX (34)

28. RALEIGH, NC (31)

29. BRONX, NY (23)

30. DENVER, CO (32)

31. CINCINNATI, OH (33)

32. RICHMOND, VA (27)

33. WASHINGTON, DC (30)

34. SAN FRANCISCO, CA (24)

35. KANSAS CITY, MO (35)

36. OVERLAND PARK, KS (37)

37. KNOXVILLE, TN (36)

38. OKLAHOMA CITY, OK (38)

39. LOUISVILLE, KY (43)

40. COLUMBIA, SC (40)

41. DURHAM, NC (NR)

42. BAKERSFIELD, CA (46)

43. SEATTLE, WA (48)

44. RENO, NV (47)

45. PITTSBURGH, PA (39)

46. MEMPHIS, TN (49)

47. SAN JOSE, CA (42)

48. TULSA, OK (45)

49. FRESNO, CA (50)

50. VANCOUVER, WA (NR)

Hide contents

la.Downtime.jpg

For the last 20 years, or since when I lived in Austin, it has always cost about ten times as much to rent a U-Haul to move from LA to Austin, then to move from Austin to LA. Back then (late 90s-early 2000s)from what I can remember, it was less than $100 to go West, but almost $2k to make the run East. Everyone wants out of Shitsville despite the good weather.

CHIEF

CHIEF

• Like 1

On 8/19/2020 at 7:20 PM, Lobo said:

So millions of people claimed they were gonna move out of the country if Bush was elected President.  Then millions of other people claimed they were gonna move out of the country if Obama was President.  Now millions are claiming they will move out of the country if Trump is re-elected?  No CR, but how the fuck is there not an app yet where we can just swap visa positions with one another for cash after tectonic elections?  

I was overseas throughout most of Clinton's administration and pretty much all of George W. I did on rare occasions meet Americans who claimed they would not go back to the States as long as Clinton/Bush was in office. I always thought that was kind of ridiculous. I can't imaging leaving a country because of the Prez. 

So I move back to the States just prior to the 2016 election. I'm no Trump fan in the slightest but I wouldn't leave the States over his term. Having said that, I would certainly leave because of the clowns that worship him. It's weird. Look at all the people here that seriously believe a) Michelle Obama used to be/is a man, b) Bill Gates plans to inject everyone with a microchip and c) Tom Hanks escaped to Greece due to the fact he's a pedo. Guess who 100% of those people will vote for in November. I'm shocked with the number of people who seriously believe this stuff.....and it's enough to say 'I'm out'. 

I'm convinced your average Canadian/Briton/Japanese is smarter than your average American. Or maybe I've just been in Oklahoma too long. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

^

Well put, I would never permanently leave the United States just because of who was President.  99% of the people that say they would, never do---they just want to sound bold at cocktail parties.  We continue on as a nation and try to improve, that's why I like it here.  But this "We're the Greatest Country in the World, Man!"  Who gives a shit?  Who are the voters in that poll anyway?  Are there computer rankings baked into the equation?  Who were we seeded against in the early rounds?  Are we vulnerable to an upset due to shitty coaching?  

Having said that, I think (I don't know for sure) there will be another massive flareup of the virus in November-January and I think there will be massive violence in this nation in November-January.  I know statistically neither will likely directly effect me or my family, but to Sweetsourpoke's point...I don't know that I want to be around people who are ignorant about both of those flareups occurring, or that they could be largely prevented.  We may very well choose to temporarily leave the United States while the Idiot Battle Royale plays itself out for 90 days.  Problem is half the places we picked won't let us in because we are coming from the arena that is hosting...the Idiot Battle Royale.  

59 minutes ago, Hate said:

Those people have always been around. You just didn’t realize it. Social media has made you aware of their existence and of the stupid things they believe.

I don't think that's true.  This country has always been full of stupid people, but most of them didn't know they believed all of this stupid shit until social media told them they did

I know plenty of gays with means that are or have been fed up that have or are in the process of leaving. When you’re on the downhill side of where the shit can roll it’s a lot more attractive to consider leaving. I expect a number of them are out if trump wins again. I would consider it when my kids are out of the house if we still have to deal with the kinda BS that’s been going down the last 4 years.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/20/style/golden-visa-second-passport-dual-citizenship.html

The New American Status Symbol? A Second Passport

Many U.S. citizens whose families immigrated from Europe are eligible, and the pandemic has caused an uptick in applications.

That’s how a friend just moved to Portugal. His parents immigrated to the US and he had claimed his Portuguese passport years ago.

This has to be a curious dilemma for some folks.  Fellow U.S. citizens who are now claiming another country in which to reside in Socialist Europe.  But yet those first folks also can't shut up about being of European heritage themselves despite not wanting the U.S. to "be like Europe."  And people whose parents are immigrants can be a threat to the American Way, unless those parents immigrated from European nations which is good.  Unless they're also bringing their socialist values with them.  And anyone turning their back in times like these on the U.S. and moving to foreign countries aren't being very patriotic.  But then again it's patriotic to embrace your European heritage, which is sorta what these second passport folks are doing.  

This is a lot to process, let's look to Surly for guidance. 

19 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

That’s how a friend just moved to Portugal. His parents immigrated to the US and he had claimed his Portuguese passport years ago.

Well I can get for fucked for being a direct descendant of a person who signed the Declaration of Independence I guess (Gov. William Paca, crab cakes and kicking redcoat ass, it’s what Maryland did!)

• Like 2

Well I can get for fucked for being a direct descendant of a person who signed the Declaration of Independence I guess (Gov. William Paca, crab cakes and kicking redcoat ass, it’s what Maryland did!)

Yeah, me too. My nearest immigrant ancestor is my great-great grandfather.

My wife could claim an Iranian passport since her father is from Tehran but who the fuck would want that.

19 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Yeah, me too. My nearest immigrant ancestor is my great-great grandfather.

My wife could claim an Iranian passport since her father is from Tehran but who the fuck would want that.

declaring for an Iranian passport at this point in 2020 makes complete sense.  I'm following the Costanza/Do-The-Opposite philosophy these days . 

Wanted to, but it was the great grandfather who immigrated.  They only grant back to the grandparents I think.

Yep. Needs to be grandparents. At least it was that way around 15 years ago. Luckily I did it before my daughter was born so I was able to get her it as welll

11 minutes ago, Updawg said:

Yep. Needs to be grandparents. At least it was that way around 15 years ago. Luckily I did it before my daughter was born so I was able to get her it as welll

Yep still is. The only possible exception is if your parents had started paper work for their dual citizenship before you were born.  And you've done it that way kudos.

On 8/22/2020 at 7:05 AM, Redpuma said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/20/style/golden-visa-second-passport-dual-citizenship.html

The New American Status Symbol? A Second Passport

Many U.S. citizens whose families immigrated from Europe are eligible, and the pandemic has caused an uptick in applications.

I always figured, to hell with a second passport, I'd just stroll into Mexico, get a new FMT, and keep a hundred dollar bill in my wallet to "renew it here, in Brainerd" whenever I got pulled over years after it expired.

3 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

I just found out I may be a Canadian citizen. So I’ve got that going for me. Which is nice.

How did you "just find out" you may be a Canadian citizen?  Hypnotic Therapy help you remember some repressed memories in Alberta or something?

Show me on the doll where Tim Horton touched you. 

How did you "just find out" you may be a Canadian citizen?  Hypnotic Therapy help you remember some repressed memories in Alberta or something?
Show me on the doll where Tim Horton touched you. 

Nah I just did a google search. Mom was born in Falkland Islands to Canadian parents stationed there in the 1930s.