Stanford/PAC12 losing a lot of Nattys

maninblack

‘97 & ‘10 NCs in men’s volleyball. 

This is odd, found it on Wiki looking that up. 

The 2003 NCAA Men's Volleyball Tournament was the 34th annual tournament to determine the national champion of NCAA men's collegiate indoor volleyball. The single elimination tournament was played at The Pyramid in Long Beach, California during May 2003.

Lewis defeated BYU in the final match, 3–2 (42–44, 30–27, 30–21, 23–30, 15–12), to win their first national title. However, the NCAA Committee on Infractions ultimately vacated the Flyers' tournament appearance, wins, and championship. The championship was not reawarded to BYU. Lewis (29–6), coached by Dave Deuser, would have become the first non-Division I program to win the NCAA men's volleyball tournament. This was also the first final in the tournament’s history where both finalists were from a state other than California. All other finals before had at least one California school participating.

Lewis' Gustavo Meyer was originally named the tournament's Most Outstanding Player. However, this award was revoked when Lewis' title was vacated by the NCAA. Additionally, Meyer and teammates Fabiano Barreto and Ryan Stuntz were all removed from the six-man All Tournament Team. 

____

The Lewis Flyers are the athletic teams that represent Lewis University, located in Romeoville (a suburb of Chicago), Illinois, United States, in NCAA Division II intercollegiate sports. The Flyers compete as members of the East Division of the Great Lakes Valley Conference for all sports except men's volleyball, which is a member of the Division I Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association. Since it is not a sponsored sport at the Division II level, the men's volleyball team is the only program that plays in Division I. Lewis joined the GLVC in 1980.

Prior to joining the NCAA, Lewis was a member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA).

8 hours ago, maninblack said:

So much for that fabled endowment

Wow, I know a girl on the squash team.  

Brown dropped their varsity squash team to club level a couple of months ago.  For an Ivy League school to do that is shocking.  But, yeah, what's the deal with all those billions in the endowment?  

Edited by Bullneck

Remember our old assistant Women's VB Coach Glen Lietzke (under Mick Haley)? He runs Austin Junior Volleyball now, where my oldest boy plays. His kid just got a Men's VB schollie at Stanford last year. I wonder if the guys lose those scholarships as well. 

• 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Shitty bump. 

Katie Meyer, the goalkeeper and captain of the Stanford women's soccer team, has died, the university announced. Meyer was 22 years old.

Her death occurred in an on-campus residence, according to the university, but a cause of death was not provided.

A senior studying international relations and history, Meyer made two key saves in a penalty shootout to help Stanford win the national championship in 2019.

"Her friends describe her as a larger-than-life team player in all her pursuits, from choosing an academic discipline she said 'changed my perspective on the world and the very important challenges that we need to work together to overcome' to the passion she brought to the Cardinal women's soccer program and to women's sports in general," Stanford said in a statement.

The university has resources available for those affected by Meyer's death and encouraged people to check in on those around them.

"There are no words to express the deep sadness we feel about Katie Meyer's passing," Stanford athletic director Bernard Muir said in a statement. "Katie was an outstanding student-athlete and a beloved, passionate leader here at Stanford. Our entire athletics community is heartbroken and Katie will be deeply missed."

Meyer attended high school in Newbury Park, California.

Suicide is the likely culprit, hope I’m wrong. 

8 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Shitty bump. 

Suicide is the likely culprit, hope I’m wrong. 

1 hour ago, MirrOlure said:

Or fentanyl…..equally hope about being wrong.

It’s suicide or drugs. 

Not an accident with a firearm that was believed to be unloaded. Not domestic violence. 

Officials on Thursday released the manner of death of a star Stanford University goalkeeper who was found unresponsive in her campus residence earlier this week.

Katie Meyer's death was determined to be self-inflicted and there is no indication of foul play, the County of Santa Clara said in a statement obtained by NBC Bay Area.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/stanford-goalkeepers-manner-death-released-020247123.html