Little cabin "treehouse"

CleverNickname

2 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

Currently the plan is to put two (so 5x14) sets of scaffolding as a cheap/fast deck on the one side. And to hunt from.

I vote a cantilever deck. You have 8x8s to mount the supports to. Go big or go home! Looks great!

2 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Be sure to build in a little secret compartment for your kid to hide his weed and magazines.  

For when he's older of course. 

He wants a trapdoor. I'm not sure how I'll do that. I guess cut in a square and then nail up 2x to frame it from the bottom. Maybe a piano hinge? I dunno. He also wants a permanent nerf mega-dart emplacement for defense. 

The "main" cabin is only 20x30. So I'm kinda hoping the kids will want to "camp out" in the treehouse while we have a little privacy for adulting. Still a lot of work to do. Much caulking is necessary. Insulation. Inside paneling. Biggest hassle will probably be boxing the eaves. It's a pain. The walls are about 7.5, but are up off the ground and that makes it more like 13 ft high, on uneven ground. Kinda scary for chickens like me. Plus I'm usually drinking.  Oh, and I need to add a front door. I hate putting in doors. Doors suck. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, kmac30 said:

Why is that kid wearing a coat in July? What’s the general location? I need to go somewhere my kids need coats to go outside.

I think I dug the holes last fall. And pinched my sciatic nerve for the trouble. Progress is slow. This is in Mills County.

4 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

Yeah. Like a second entrance, a little ladder through the bottom. I think this stems from children's books depictions of tree houses.

Put a rolled up rope ladder By the trapdoor for added cool factor. And don’t forget an extinguisher for when the kids set the place on fire.

• Like 1

Put a rolled up rope ladder By the trapdoor for added cool factor. And don’t forget an extinguisher for when the kids set the place on fire.

Should be the only way to access to keep stinking girls out when they are young and to keep Dad from walking in on them and the girlfriend when they are older.
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

Last weekend...

20200704_100724.jpg

20200703_214638.jpg

My kids favorite thing to do is get the blacklight flashlights out and go hunting at the ranch. The youngest killed 30 last friday night. Then he went out the next night and killed another 25 or so. There were probably twice that which got away due to being in a wood pile or rock pile. Fuckers are everywhere.

One of those stupid field mice hitched back in my truck as well. 

Edited by HOOKEM4
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Somnio said:

That's nice and all until your nosy, neighborhood Karen takes notice.  Expect bureaucrats demanding to see your site plan and building permits soon.

In mills county? On 70 acres or so if I remember correctly? Anyone notices and they are gonna get shot for trespassing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

It'll show up on your appraisal next year.  

Yeah, tax offices are using drones nowadays.

My son’s ex-fil (an architect) built a nice 4,000 sq/ft house without permits on his secluded 15 acres out off Fitzhugh Road overlooking Barton Creek 25 years ago. He got busted by the county via airplane surveillance a couple of years later and was dunned for three years of property taxes, IIRC, or maybe five.

3 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

Little rain shed water collection

20200711_093628.jpg

I am doing two IBC totes under the roof to collect and use the water weight to keep the roof from blowing away. We are up on the top of a hill and it is solid bedrock after a few inches of soil. No way to bury posts. Love that setup you got.

FWIW they did hit me up the cabin in this years appraisal. .. from like 18k to 42k. We showed em pictures of the inside and got it down to 24k. I think I could buy a barndominium shell for like $7k so still seems a little much to me. But they are very cool on our wildlife ag exemption so I won't rock the boat.

I am sure they use google sat photos to check for improvements. Not sure how visible this will be once a new one gets taken. The trees cover it well, the roof is shiny new galvanized panels. 

They usually fly the county and take pictures of the more recently sold properties. Those pilots know the county well and it is like an egg hunt. They dinged us but it wasnt that bad since it was a few small buildings. Prob thought they were big sheds not small cabins.

Wouldn't take much effort to pull up google and fly a grid over a month. They will catch enough stuff to pay for the flight.

They didnt use google satellite in our case as we have had buildings in place for over 2 years but google hasn't been updated.

Edited by HOOKEM4

• 1 month later...

I love watching this project in the ac of my own house. I will be dying getting electric done next weekend on our latest addition. Grandmas kitchen. Need it done so i can fire up the ac. The trailers have proven too small so i have to finish out a 36x12 cook shack.

• 2 weeks later...