Brothahorn's Conservative Thread

Brothahorn

15 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Coming back to what actually start this whole tangent, there are lots of parents, across the political spectrum and across various levels of ability, staring down the barrel of fall 2020  and actively exploring their options for what education for their children looks like in the near-term future.  It would be nice if we had a system in place that would support their ability to direct and provide safe and effective education. What we have instead is top down decision making driven by bureaucrats who whip everyone downstream with the money we send them to fund public education.  We already had to basically provide the education that the public system was suppose to provide last semester, and the same thing is about to happen again.    

Right, but you're wanting to accomplish this by asking that the government either return money to you from the public till or not take it to begin with due to incremental costs that are not being incurred due to choices you would like to make and not wanting the government to extend that same courtesy to me. 

6 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

Right, but you're wanting to accomplish this by asking that the government either return money to you from the public till or not take it to begin with due to incremental costs that are not being incurred due to choices you would like to make and not wanting the government to extend that same courtesy to me. 

If you saw the dysfunction in the system first hand last semester, you would be advocating to re-direct your contribution to things that might actually work as well. 

18 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I am certain there is little to no administrative redundancy (>$100k) that could be reallocated to the classroom if these were consolidated.

Just make it all federal.   That' be efficient...

5 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

100% real talk right here.  It's one of the biggest sources of division in our country that we won't recognize.  School as the building of community.  Once parents elect to take themselves out of the school, and out of the community, they are no longer building the community.  They are tearing it down.  Can public school be improved?  Absolutely.  But ripping it apart rips apart the foundations of the Republic.  

Is a school choice option “ripping apart” public schools? 

If so, giving poor kids and their parents more options for their education “rips apart the foundations of the Republic”?

That’s quite hysterical.  You need to calm down. 

• Fuck You 1

48 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

I don't drive and only take DART.  Can I get my taxes back that go to building roads?????

5 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

financially, absolutely. 

If so, giving poor kids and their parents more options for their education “rips apart the foundations of the Republic”?

LOLz like seriously, at the notions of "more options" for the poors.  Maybe if they run a sub 4.5 40 or have a strong outside J.

Answer in bold.

Diluting the financial base for publics will certainly erode public schools'  capacity to educate their students.

9 minutes ago, slorch said:

Answer in bold.

Diluting the financial base for publics will certainly erode public schools'  capacity to educate their students.

We need to maintain the financial base for public schools in certain shitty areas to do a poor job educating their kids. Sounds great. 

I’m almost sorry I brought up school choice. There’s few things people Stan for harder than teachers and public schools. Jesus. 

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

We need to maintain the financial base for public schools in certain shitty areas to do a poor job educating their kids. Sounds great. 

I’m almost sorry I brought up school choice. There’s few things people Stan for harder than teachers and public schools. Jesus. 

Fuck em...let em rot then. Did i get it right? That'll get us where we need to go...

let's fucking amplify the disparity in society by killing public education.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

That’s quite hysterical.  You need to calm down. 

Yes, so every student chooses the best school, and all the other schools sit empty, right?   HISD has 215,000 students.  Bellaire High School is going to need a few more temporary units to accomodate 50k students next year. 

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

I am certain there is little to no administrative redundancy (>$100k) that could be reallocated to the classroom if these were consolidated.

seems like every little town east of round rock has its own ISD.  hutto, taylor, thrall, thorndale, rockdale, etc.  is coupland, 3 miles down from taylor, really served by having its own ISD?

50 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

You never answered the question of why you're not required to kick in your full share to the public school system and I am.  

I actually did. We both kick in the same “amount” towards education of children in this state. Of course my proposal empowers parents of school aged children and is financially advantageous for the school district. Yours boils down to, if you don’t like what the government dictates to you, including running an experiment on your children with their lives and yours at stake, fuck off and homeschool or send them to private school. You want decision making concentrated  at levels two or three steps removed from children and their parents. I want it concentrated in parents. 

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I actually did. We both kick in the same “amount” towards education of children in this state. Of course my proposal empowers parents of school aged children and is financially advantageous for the school district. Yours boils down to, if you don’t like what the government dictates to you, including running an experiment on your children with their lives and yours at stake, fuck off and homeschool or send them to private school. You want decision making concentrated  at levels two or three steps removed from children and their parents. I want it concentrated in parents. 

There's tons of shit the government dictates that I don't like and I'm not going to get a refund if I don't partake in it.  As special as you think your children are, their education is no different. 

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

has iceman been put on ice? 

affirmative.

had a couple of comments about just being slorch, my long time username on TOS before I ditched it and CR.  It resonated.

14 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

There's tons of shit the government dictates that I don't like and I'm not going to get a refund if I don't partake in it.  As special as you think your children are, their education is no different. 

i, for one, am appreciative of the trillions of dollars the US has spent keeping mounties from invading and giving us things like legal weed, healthcare and good governance. 

53 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

@slorch is a public school kid who pulled himself up by his bootstraps and has no sympathy for those looking for special favors. Have you not been paying attention?

still scared of bootstraps, eh? "Just stick to the script boy.   Life says you should be this..." 

FTR, much of what I experienced with my son going to a very middle class public school with affluent neighbors/ co-workers/ congregation at church acting all shocked that he did so well while not attending the CISD school typically more associated with such achievement deeply affects my opinion.   It's also funny once his college started, nobody gave a fuck where they went to high school.  It was meaningless.  What mattered was "now."   I couldn't agree more.

My opposition to private school is based on three things, and fire away at any of them:

1) Not all, but a good portion of the mindset of private schools is based in racism/ classism.  Fuck that on both fronts. Racism is self explanatory. the classism is bullshit too,   If you think your little Johnny needs more, then go buy it, but pay your taxes beforehand.  Otherwise, why don't jump right in and PARTICIPATE in your schools as a parent and make it a better place for students to go.  Nah...  I'll just write a check to this private school to ease my conscience, while telling myself I did everything I could for my kid's future.

2) People have this notion that  a fucking high school makes the individual. "Six supreme court justices have attended our prestigious campus," as if it magically turned them into something great. A fucking high school...LOLz.  The talent is pre-existing.  If it was a magic ticket, it would cost a hellova lot more.

3) We as a society have deemed public education  needs to be available to all.  We tax folks regardless of direct attendance/ involvement with the school.  If you opt for private school, that doesn't negate the obligation we all have decided to make in investing in our society's future. 

Edited by slorch

33 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

The silver lining in this exchange is apparently you have not procreated yet. 

Do we or do we not realize that the argument for funding schools in middle or lower economic parts of town, if true, is the reason that defunding police is a bad idea that will only accelerate the race to the bottom by encouraging the people of means to flee a la white flight?

I'm not saying anyone on this thread is doing it, but I've seen it done where someone will literally argue for the funding of ghetto schools in the ghetto because we need more people to want to go there and encourage people of means to stick around to feed the ecosystem until it's healthy (e.g. reduction in crime, jobs in the area, healthy tax base/sales tax/consuming) and also advocate for the defunding of police in the same breath, which would only drive out the folks of means who value a safe and comfortable place for their family over a culturally immersive or diverse experience.

6 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Buncha white guys hijackin a black man’s thread

what I've been discussing is pretty damned relevant to the topic, no?

I hope the thread heats back up on Monday when people get back to work so they can post...Lolz.

Edited by slorch

7 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

“Ghetto schools”????

No conversation with you needed.

Okay, sorry if I offended, I can see where it's insensitive now. I was using the word like how we used it in the 90's informally, if it has a more problematic/racist meaning now I apologize seriously.

Replace that slang/slur with "poor and undesirable, but not that there is anything wrong with that and it doesn't mean you are less than or deserve less dignity".

Thanks for holding me accountable! We are all in this together!

Edited by Rougarou

6 hours ago, JBJ said:

Texas, DFW, Elementary, 80% Title 1.  High-performing district and school for their demographics and funding.

I'm sure the national averages are a lie. Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

IIRC, the grades officially met once a week during lunch or after release.  The other duties cut in to office time, but they far from dominate it.

Confirmed with the wife.  Teachers in KISD get 1 conference period (45 minutes) and a 30 minute lunch.  I can only go on what I've seen between her, all her teaching/admin friends, my SIL, and daughter through 25 years across 3 different states.  The only teachers that I've seen that work 8 hours a day and have full weekends/holidays are the ones that get run off for not doing their jobs.  I've only seen her work around military base districts though.  Ask your spouse what the view was like from those gilded towers.  

8 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Yes I can.  And in the past, I leaned toward the possibility that eventually knowledge would overwhelm ignorance throughout the nation.   But instead, red state voters have disproportionate voting power to the point where they are able to fuck up education, infrastructure, and other things outside their state borders.  We can put far more economic pressure on them if they were separate countries that needed to meet certain economic, civil rights, and social goals in order to join a trade partnership, and where sanctions could be applied when needed.  It would not take them long to come around.  Most of them anyway.

Louisiana chose to lose federal funding for roads from 1986 to 1995 just to let kids buy alcohol at 18 while having the legal drinking age at 21.  You really think they are going to be more pliable about Jesus? 

11 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Louisiana chose to lose federal funding for roads from 1986 to 1995 just to let kids buy alcohol at 18 while having the legal drinking age at 21.  You really think they are going to be more pliable about Jesus? 

Yeah, cuz that was the opposite of a pro baptist Jesus move.  Jesus may have turned water into wine, but baptists won't drink it.  If they gave north Louisiana to Arkansas, South Louisiana would probably be the most actually libertarian place in America.  New Orleans is really the only place in the South that isn't necessarily the "South," and also one of only a few cities in the US that is truly unique and beats to its own drum. Most of America, sadly, is generic as fuck, including Texas' two biggest cities. 

On 7/9/2020 at 2:37 PM, Brothahorn said:

I'm not a victim because I choose not to be a victim. If I spent all my time looking for racial shit to be upset about and then using that as an excuse, that would make me a victim. When I used to mentor, the biggest obstacle was the circle of influence that wouldn't allow a kid to dream. Those are victims. I wasn't raised like that. And you nor anyone else can tell me that I'm a victim simply because I'm black. 

My niece was dealt a somewhat shitty hand in life. When she was about 15 or 16 she started to rebel against her (single) mom and make some decisions regarding drugs and guys that were counter productive to her succeeding in life. I told my wife she needed to have a sit down with her and tell her she needed to knock that shit off because her mom wasn’t going to wear her bad decisions in life, she was going to have to deal with them herself. 
My wife said “that’s not fair- she’s too young- that’s a lot to ask”. I agreed with her it wasn’t fair, but my point to her was that doesn’t make it any less how life works. 
She got her life cleaned up in a hurry. She’s a great young woman and doing so well at 24. I’m so proud of her and we’ve helped her some along the way. I got to walk her half way down the aisle even though I’ve only been in her life since she was 14. 

I’m not black, and though I’m not a trust fund kid or anything like that I recognize my life has been way easier than what many people have gotten in their lives. All that said, my successes (and almost everyone I know) have not come from being white but rather have come from making good decisions and following good plans in life. I know if I do rich person things I will get rich person results. I know if I do fat person things (which I do all too often) I will get fat person results. 

There is zero chance I’d tell a disadvantaged black person to get ahead by doing smart decisions and not making bad decisions, but I do believe that to be true in the deepest recesses of my heart (not for blacks specifically but for anyone), but there’s no way I’m going to tell someone I don’t know, and can’t relate to, that their key to living a happy and productive life is to ignore any rotten cards they got dealt and make a life full of good decisions bc anything else is counter productive and only does self harm. 

I think my wife is actually out on being a democrat (she will vote for Biden against Trump because she hates Trump though)  bc she’s just heard too much talk about “live in the struggle” as it was put on CNN. She said- can’t those fools see that to focus on that is to ensure yourself misery as life will never be fair or perfect or exactly how you want it?  Someone is always going to be getting screwed somewhere along the line and if that’s what you focus on you will be miserable and unsuccessful at all times?”  I shook my head and said “I don’t know”. 

it’s personal for her. She had a shitty childhood and a borderline abusive mother and it’s something she overcame and grew stronger bc of, while her sister was victimized by it and lived a shitty life. I don’t think I can make that argument to anyone unless I am really in their life, because nobody is gonna relate to a boring ass white Christian conservative father of three, fat ass old guy dad like me and think- that dude is definitely relatable. So, it has to be someone I’ve really put in the time with. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 2

On 7/9/2020 at 7:08 PM, naija said:

The problem with this thread is that BrothaHorn states that he is going to post Black Conservative (and Libertarian) views and then basically does that entire side a disservice by posting what can only be described as caricatures and Black versions of some of the nutty Trump crowd that invites easy ridicule and a one off dismiss of the idea of a Black Conservative.

Yet, there are examples that don't look, sound or write like they came out of central casting for a Trump 2020 series. Why not post those?

The easiest to digest and that comes to mind is Glenn Loury's show on Bloggingheads.tv. I do not agree with a lot of what is said there, but at least it's a legit attempt at making a counter argument. John McWhorter is also a frequent guest and when the two of them are on, you get to listen to a discussion about viewpoints that are decidedly not Leftist coming from 2 Black men.

if you want the up and coming, then read some of Coleman Hughes' work. Very young, but quite the writer.

You can start with  The Case for Black Optimism and  Black American Culture and The Racial Wealth Gap . Of course, Hughes will tell you he isn't a conservative.

Others abound. Not hard to find. This is a college board. Getting into things that can't just be summarized as tweets should not be difficult.

Basically all the black people Sam Harris has on his show and there entire black roster for Quillette. 

2 hours ago, slorch said:

still scared of bootstraps, eh? "Just stick to the script boy.   Life says you should be this..." 

FTR, much of what I experienced with my son going to a very middle class public school with affluent neighbors/ co-workers/ congregation at church acting all shocked that he did so well while not attending the CISD school typically more associated with such achievement deeply affects my opinion.   It's also funny once his college started, nobody gave a fuck where they went to high school.  It was meaningless.  What mattered was "now."   I couldn't agree more.

My opposition to private school is based on three things, and fire away at any of them:

1) Not all, but a good portion of the mindset of private schools is based in racism/ classism.  Fuck that on both fronts. Racism is self explanatory. the classism is bullshit too,   If you think your little Johnny needs more, then go buy it, but pay your taxes beforehand.  Otherwise, why don't jump right in and PARTICIPATE in your schools as a parent and make it a better place for students to go.  Nah...  I'll just write a check to this private school to ease my conscience, while telling myself I did everything I could for my kid's future.

2) People have this notion that  a fucking high school makes the individual. "Six supreme court justices have attended our prestigious campus," as if it magically turned them into something great. A fucking high school...LOLz.  The talent is pre-existing.  If it was a magic ticket, it would cost a hellova lot more.

3) We as a society have deemed public education  needs to be available to all.  We tax folks regardless of direct attendance/ involvement with the school.  If you opt for private school, that doesn't negate the obligation we all have decided to make in investing in our society's future. 

Completely agree and I wasn’t being sarcastic earlier.

11 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

The fantasy of the American Loner Ethos has never proven to be more bullshit than right now during Covid.  We asked American's to stay home for 2-3 months so we could lower the infection levels to a point where we could contact trace and snuff out isolated hot spots.

The individualistic American, prepared for the apocalypse? Armed to the teeth, provisioned well, and only asking to be left alone to carry out their life?  Made it 5 fucking weeks before they insisted the body politic allow them to go to a bar.

It's especially insidious in Texas....My Texas roots run deep as shit. I am seventh generation on one side of the family, and I bought into that myth for the longest time, but the truth is, we we would never have made it past I-35 without US Army support. The proof is in what happened during the Civil War years. When it was just up to the Rangers etc, the Comanches moved the line of settlement backwards a few dozen miles. They were well on their way to pushing us back to the Brazos, even with our Colt revolvers and other such advantages.

Turns out that chain of forts was kind of nice to have, after all. 

Yeah, yeah, argue all you want about how most of our tough Texans were back east fighting the Yankees, but what about "One Riot, One Ranger?"

15 hours ago, slorch said:

slight correction made to post.

If I am hard core conservative, at least fiscally;  I guess this is one topic where I am steadfastly in the liberal/ left/ insert label  corner.  If you want your kid in something other than public education, you pay the balance. That does not absolve you of the normal tax responsibility we all pay for our public schools.  No exceptions or 'choices' made in the name of religious freedom.  I got a good dose of this when we lived in Louisiana with the private schools basically being a haven from "those black kids."  I fucking hated that environment and it was a huge reason we left.

Pretty much every southern state east of Texas follows this model.  The segregation academies errrrr.... I mean private schools were the primary catalysts for the religious right's entrance into modern politics. 

Slorch is...still making good posts. Ok, what the fuck gives?

Oh wait, I can shit on his brief bootstraps comment though, since pulling oneself up by your bootstraps is a physical impossibility and the phrase originated to convey how absurd it is. Only in America could something like that evolve to describe something not just possible but expected of certain people.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Slorch is...still making good posts. Ok, what the fuck gives?

Oh wait, I can shit on his brief bootstraps comment though, since pulling oneself up by your bootstraps is a physical impossibility and the phrase originated to convey how absurd it is. Only in America could something like that evolve to describe something not just possible but expected of certain people.

It was a response to someone else's comment towards me, later to be told it was sarcasm, and mine was a one-liner at that.  Didn't mean to throw shade on the "American Dream is dead" crowd.  Wait, yes i did.

Education is an absolute fundamental building block of that premise of achievement, though; and that has been the focus of my responses.  The other fundamental building block is employment.  Both of these are the way people achieve social mobility.  Without them, not only is the individual fucked, but also society.

Edited by slorch

9 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Pretty much every southern state east of Texas follows this model.  The segregation academies errrrr.... I mean private schools were the primary catalysts for the religious right's entrance into modern politics. 

You have a source for this statement?

2 hours ago, Poolflood said:

You have a source for this statement?

I remember the private schools popping up, and they were a response to bussing more than anything in my opinion.  Not sure that had anything to to with the religious rights move into politics. It had more to do with just good old fashioned racism, and parents not wanting their kids sent to inner city schools with poor academic track records.

Had a couple cousins I grew up wIth who had this experience. They were going to public schools, mostly white (90% at least) good academics, and then they were bussed to inner city schools that were mostly black, and had horrible academics.  They moved out to the country shortly after that.  Bussing made my childhood much more fun spending my days in the country fishing, hunting, roaming the woods with my cousins.

Bussing (suburban/ rural private school creation)  caused white flight to accelerate in the 70's, not cause a huge jump in the religious right into politics.  That happened mainly in the Reagan years for the most part, as abortion, and the DNC's perceived moved away from traditional family values increased.  Only my opinion of course.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I remember the private schools popping pop, and they were a response to bussing more than anything in my opinion.  Not sure that had anything to to with the religious rights move into politics. It had more to do with just good old fashioned racism, and parents not wanting their kids sent to inner city schools with poor academic track records.

Had a couple cousins I grew up wIth who had this experience. They were going to public schools, mostly white (90% at least) good academics, and then they were bussed to inner city schools that were mostly black ,and had horrible academics.

Bussing (suburban/ rural private school creation)  caused white flight to accelerate in the 70's, not cause a huge jump in the religious right into politics.  That happened mainly in the Reagan years for the most part, as abortion, and the DNC's perceived moved away from traditional family values increased.  Only my opinion of course.

Agree.  Cat made a very specific claim I was questioning.

2 hours ago, slorch said:

It was a response to someone else's comment towards me, later to be told it was sarcasm, and mine was a one-liner at that.  Didn't mean to throw shade on the "American Dream is dead" crowd.  Wait, yes i did.

Again, I was being serious. I was saying that your point of view on this topic is consistent with everything you’ve ever said about your background and your point of view on how success is achieved and who has that opportunity.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

4 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

Numerous states/counties/cities have enacted school choice programs over the last couple of decades. They have fairly consistently shown that students who participate in them see their test scores go down, especially in math.

Louisiana

Indiana

Ohio

Washington, DC

BS, sounds like a study meant to have a preconceived outcome.  We have a school choice program here in our county, and it puts kids in every top school in the nation.

• Like 1

BS, sounds like a study meant to have a preconceived outcome.  We have a school choice program here in our county, and it puts kids in every top school in the nation.

Shit, I didn’t know you had an anecdote! Never mind, disregard those four large scale studies!
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

Shit, I didn’t know you had an anecdote! Never mind, disregard those four large scale studies!

Shit, I know that magnet programs increase kids overall test scores. I've seen (and heard several NPR based reports) those studies as well.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

7 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Shit, I know that magnet programs increase kids overall test scores. I've seen (and heard several NPR based reports) those studies as well.

Magnet programs are usually used to prop up an underperforming school, and in my experience attending a public magnet school, it was a great experience. It got me out of my bubble and let me make friends with people from other socio-econimic groups my parents wouldn't have put me around otherwise.

Magnet schools are not charter schools.

Edited by Captainant