Live Musical Performance Reviews

stc

Just got back from Bob Seger.  Have to say it was way better than I expected. setlist was incredible.  glad I got to see him on the final tour.

the travelin' man/beautiful loser/turn the page "Live Bullet" homage was fantastic.  

very underated artist.  not one throw away song in the 24 song set.   even Like a Rock, which I thought would be cheesy, was excellent.

Erwin center was packed to the rafters.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mudhoney, Cherubs, and Xetas at Antones. Xetas kick ass. A good young local band. I’d never seen Cherubs in their heyday. Looks like I didn’t miss much. Mudhoney was solid. When Mark Arm put away the guitar for last half dozen songs and wasn’t anchored to the mic stand, the energy improved significantly.

bbe1c3bf289dc8c12d1761a9dcabe806.jpg

94e11cc3297bfc67c92bc1ace1f9be65.jpg

0461af02a32ca0763b58a3b58d284a02.jpg

spiritualized at emo's. first off the seat situation at emo's is complete horseshit...the entire front half of the venue is folding chairs, and standing room GA is located behind the soundboard in the back half of the venue. that is very un-emo's and fuck them if that's what they're going to be doing going forward. 

spiritualized was great. thought the first few songs of the set were actually the best songs of the night, they played 5-6 of their old songs then played the entire new album front to back. would have preferred if they mixed in a few more of the old songs but i'll take what i can get. was hoping for maybe some horns or a string section but it was just the standard band with 3 backup singers. regardless they sounded great and i'm glad i got to see them 1 more time. 

• 4 weeks later...

pink mexico at hotel vegas. there were about 20 people there, during a storm on a wednesday night at 11pm is not the ideal set time. they were very good...modern grunge is the best description i have. very angry and guitar heavy. 

Octopus Project did some trippy shit in a warehouse on East 5th last night. Ambient light and sound show. There were no drums, all 4 of them were playing keyboard/synth plus a saxophone and theremin. The stage was in the center with 360 degree sound surrounding the crowd. They played for an hour and it was all super chill and spacey. Really cool. 6305eb931e3a872894c4d62082f7367c.jpgf30bc7bc2c8e30c23c475c1bcbe76353.jpg

On 3/26/2019 at 9:30 AM, stc said:

spiritualized at emo's. first off the seat situation at emo's is complete horseshit...the entire front half of the venue is folding chairs, and standing room GA is located behind the soundboard in the back half of the venue. that is very un-emo's and fuck them if that's what they're going to be doing going forward. 

spiritualized was great. thought the first few songs of the set were actually the best songs of the night, they played 5-6 of their old songs then played the entire new album front to back. would have preferred if they mixed in a few more of the old songs but i'll take what i can get. was hoping for maybe some horns or a string section but it was just the standard band with 3 backup singers. regardless they sounded great and i'm glad i got to see them 1 more time. 

Was at Emo's 2 weeks ago and there were no folding chairs to speak of.  Everything was standing room GA

On 3/8/2019 at 1:00 AM, dcar00 said:

Just got back from Bob Seger.  Have to say it was way better than I expected. setlist was incredible.  glad I got to see him on the final tour.

the travelin' man/beautiful loser/turn the page "Live Bullet" homage was fantastic.  

very underated artist.  not one throw away song in the 24 song set.   even Like a Rock, which I thought would be cheesy, was excellent.

Erwin center was packed to the rafters.

One of my favorites that I’ll probably never get to see live. 

7 hours ago, Underdog said:

One of my favorites that I’ll probably never get to see live. 

I know I'm paying more now but I'm hitting all these guys when they come thru.  didn't have the funds to see them back in the day, just other priorities.  the good thing is they spin the hits and I don't really care they can't hit the notes or run around on stage like they used to.  its fun.

zz top/bad company/cheap trick is going to be great.  surprisingly I haven't seen any of them live.

Bob Mould at the Mohawk was outstanding. cool venue but you definitely need to be on the floor to get the best sound. I would like more copper blue songs but the setlist is great especially if you are into husker do as well.  "I fought" off the new album is excellent.  

Wax Trax Industrial Accident featuring Ministry and Cold Cave @ Fair Market.

This is a free tour paid for by Vans. I wasn’t able to get a pair of VIP tickets in the soundtrack vinyl that was sold on Record Store Day, so I signed up for the free will call first come first serve general admission. Showed up early in case the line was long and they let me in as a VIP, so I got to see the documentary and the Q&A panel before the concert. If you’re into vinyl and an industrial fan, there’s quite a bit of rare and out of print albums and test pressings available. There’s a display of early gig posters that’s really cool. It included a Ministry poster from an ‘87 show at the Cave Club on Red River.

Cold Cave was really good. Post Punk Post New Wave.

Ministry played a fucking amazing Wax Trax era set with nothing newer than Psalm 69. A lot of stuff that hasn’t been played in years. Al was totally into it and it was the best they’ve been in over a decade and a half dozen shows. There’s only a handful of dates for this so grab a free general admission ticket and show up early.

Setlist:
1d13739d5080c0351dc2489cae63fa8d.jpg

• Like 1

lots of 4/20 parties on saturday:

kyle shutt, the sword guitarist, at independence brewing. the sound was terrible but it was a decent set. he's got a solo album coming out in a couple weeks, based on the set there should be some good songs on there. 

wurve record release at getaway motor club. they've got a good psych/pop sound, have always liked their live show. picked up a record but haven't had a chance to listen yet. curious to see how the record sounds, especially the vocals which seem to always be buried in a live setting. 

tia carrera record release at lost well. still rocking the power trio stoner jams. haven't listened to the new record yet but i know exactly what it sounds like. lost well was the perfect venue for them. 

Saw White Denim last night at the Doug Fir Lounge in Portland.
They sounded amazing. It was exhausting just watching them. They played for 90 minutes and only stopped between songs 4 times.

If any of y'all come up to Portland for a trip I highly recommend going to a show at Doug Fir or Mississippi Studios. Great venues 4351e6a7c922660808ae919a4b74715e.jpg

• Like 1

the well and monolord at barracuda:

somehow i've never seen the well, even though i've seen their name around town for years. they were good, sabbath style riffs and good bass grooves. it was their album release, picked up a copy and looking forward to giving it a listen. 

monolord was amazing. crushingly heavy riffs...just fucking fuzz soaked menacing dark massive sound. everything about it was good. reminded me a lot sleep. dude next to me was vaping something that smelled like waffles the whole time, it was like seeing a concert at a waffle house. 

christian bland & the revelators, cosmonauts, night beats at empire control room.

cb & the revelators: the best set i've seen from them. the other guitarist from the black angels was playing with them and that helped fill out the sound a lot. their covers of interstellar overdrive and lucifer sam were really good as always. 

cosmonauts: had never heard of them but they were pretty good. garage punk/psych similar to thee oh sees. would see them again. 

night beats: first time seeing them with the new band lineup. second guitar and keys were a great addition and really opened up their sound. was expecting a bunch of material from the latest record but i think they only played 2 songs from it, and their set was really short...barely an hour. sounded great though. 

Edited by stc
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, stc said:

christian bland & the revelators, cosmonauts, night beats at empire control room.

cb & the revelators: the best set i've seen from them. the other guitarist from the black angels was playing with them and that helped fill out the sound a lot. their covers of interstellar overdrive and lucifer sam were really good as always. 

cosmonauts: had never heard of them but they were pretty good. garage punk/psych similar to thee oh sees. would see them again. 

night beats: first time seeing them with the new band lineup. second guitar and keys were a great addition and really opened up their sound. was expecting a bunch of material from the latest record but i think they only played 2 songs from it, and their set was really short...barely an hour. sounded great though. 

STC, you and I go to a lot of the same shows. Imma hit you up the next time I go out. Let's grab a beer.

deerhunter at mohawk. have seen them several times and this wasn't my favorite setlist, that said it was still very good. bradford was a little too chatty between songs and had a couple long rants. britt daniel sat in for a song which was cool i guess but ultimately didn't add much. desire lines though is always awesome. 

the murlocs at barracuda. australian bluesy garage rock, the  lead guitarist and harmonica player from king gizzard are in the band. good energy and they sounded great. all of their songs sound fairly similar, the ones where the lead singer was on harmonica instead of guitar tended to sound a little better. played for a little over an hour.  

acid dad and wurve at cheer up charlies. first time seeing anything on the indoor stage, it was loud as fuck in there but sounded good. i really like acid dad and i don't know how they aren't more popular. there wasn't even a cover...it was a suggested $5 donation at the door. hopefully they made some money, i made sure to buy an album from them. love their guitar work. 

Saw the Old 97's last Thursday at Jones Assembly in OKC and boy did they put on an amazing show. I've probably seen Old 97's more than any other band over the years... I've literally been seeing them live for 20 years, and I don't think I've ever been disappointed by one of their shows.  They just bring it every single time.

They actually played several songs the other night that I haven't heard them play in a while, including Jagged, Won't Be Home, Crush on the Barrelhead (Murray!), Nineteen, and Salome.  Awesome show, as always. 

I'm seeing them again in Tulsa on June 1. :)

imgur>

Saw Kevin Morby and the OMG band on Tuesday at the Showbox at the Market. I only stumbled upon Morby about a month ago so pretty fortunate timing. Was a great show. Played most of his latest album and other assorted hits. As a bonus, I got to see Danger Mouse playing bass for the opener, Sam Cohen, which was a pleasant surprise.

fb77bc53919619b604b86bd742cd837a.jpg

Also saw Weyes Blood last night at the Tractor Tavern. Her voice is even more incredible live which I didn’t think was possible given the heavy production on Titanic Rising. She’s a pretty talented frontwoman with a presence about her. Kind of reminded me of Jenny Lewis.

On the downside, her guitarist was pretty meh. Being a guitarist, I’m probably overly-critical of live guitar work. Even still, poor/no tone, and I was expecting a lot more on the slide guitar for Andromeda. Was barely even audible. She needs to replace her guitarist.

13f80754cd1412859218eaf328ec75da.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cheap trick, bad company, zz top at cota. 

cheap trick is one of my least favorite bands of all time. i tried to miss their set but ended up hearing the last 4 songs which were awful. seriously, fuck them. 

bad company. never been a big fan but they sounded surprisingly good, paul rodgers can still sing really well for being almost 70 years old. one of those bands that i recognized every song but probably couldn't have named more than 3 songs going into it. 

zz top is a fucking treasure. billy gibbons can't quite sing how he used to but he can still lay down all the blues licks and his tone, my god his tone. just got paid with the extended guitar intro was the shit. something about an outdoor show in the spring with the smell of marlboros and dope wafting over the crowd and zz top blasting is just perfect. 

On 5/15/2019 at 2:17 PM, oSuJeff97 said:

Saw The Avett Brothers at BOK Center in Tulsa last night.  Man these guys can put on a show.... I'm seeing them again at Red Rocks in July.  Can't wait for that.

Mrs. Laz and I have lost count but I think Houston back in March, and the two white water sets bring us up to sixteen TAB shows.  They always bring it.  Saw them at Red Rocks in '15 and it was about as close to a religious experience as I've had.  You will have a blast.  

• Like 2

went to Glorious Sons at HoB bronze peacock room last night.  it was such a great show.  love that band.  one major concern I would have as I was watching the lead singer reminded me of brent smith (lead singer of shine down) circa 2008 in that it appears he's go serious drug issues.  I once watched the shinedown "somewhere in the stratosphere" live performance on palladium, and smith was pretty bloated, sweaty, and clearly using.  He later admitted his struggle with heroin during that whole tour.  Glorious singer's appearance and mannerisms and lack of balance reminded me very much of smith at that time.  Maybe it was just part of his act, but if an act he's going to win an academy.  that said, great show, lots of energy and I love almost every tune they play.  it was neat to see them in such a small venue, and I am pretty surprised they're not playing much bigger venues by now.  

I had the good fortune to see George Strait front row at the Palmer Events Center in January. Holy s***, he slayed. He maybe played 3 songs off his new album, and then it was nothing but the hits. He played at least 25 on his top 50. I had to drive back to Houston the next day, so I had to cut out at midnight. Best $125 I've ever spent in my entire life. 

I saw him again at the Houston Rodeo in March. We had good seats, but certainly not front row. He was terrific, but played most of the new album. It's a terrific album, but not as good as classic George Strait. The tickets were a gift, I'm glad I didn't have to shell out $1k for two seats. His new video for Honky Tonky Bar features some shots from the rodeo performance. 

saturday night at barracuda:

nolan potter's nightmare band: progressive jazz rock. lots of weird time signatures and complex song structure. sometimes they're too out there for me but i liked this set. 

future punx: sounded like new wave mixed with devo. i liked some of it, particularly at the beginning of their set. by the end of the set i was ready for it to be over. 

mystery lights: old school garage rock. lead singer has tons of energy and a unique voice, and they write great songs. too bad there weren't many people there. the new album "too much tension" is one of my favorites of 2019.