Live Musical Performance Reviews

stc

sebadoh at the parish. mostly went because i love the parish and hadn't been there in a few years because their booking sucks. took a chance, knowing very little about sebadoh. they started off with lou barlow on guitar and lead vocals...his songs were not good. once they switched instruments and the other guy was on guitar and vocals it was much better. still love the parish, the sound there is excellent.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mastodon last night at cota. It was the perfect July evening for an outdoor concert. They were the opener (wtf) and started at 7:40. It was 83 degrees with a nice cool breeze. Played all of crack the skye plus a few more. Sounded fantastic. The place was not very full, lawn was completely closed...I was the only one on my row in section 203. Left after mastodon and was home before 10pm. On the way back to the car had a few people ask me if the show was already over, they were not happy when they learned mastodon had already played.

the well friday night at barracuda. don't know how i hadn't seen these guys until recently, they are exactly the type of stoner blues rock that i like. love their new album and they were fantastic. 

• Like 1

the well friday night at barracuda. don't know how i hadn't seen these guys until recently, they are exactly the type of stoner blues rock that i like. love their new album and they were fantastic. 

Discovered them at Levitation last year or the year before. Immediately bought their first two albums and the new one is great also. They kick ass.

McCartney at Dodger Stadium last night.  Perfect weather for an outdoor concert.  The man played for nearly 2.5 hours in the main set and didn't leave the stage the entire time.  Then after a 5-minute break, he comes back for a 20-minute encore.  The dude is 77 years old and he's playing for nearly 3 hours, almost 30 songs.  He's certainly not running around the stage like Springsteen, but that's still an amazing feat of endurance at his age.    

This was the last show of the tour, and his voice kinda showed it -- vocals were a little ragged in places.  The first half of the show was up and down, as he mixed classics with new stuff, so the show's momentum was kind of stop/start.  But he killed it over the last 8-9 songs of the main set plus the encore.  Live and Let Die was tremendous with a horns section, pyrotechnics, and fireworks.  He brought out Ringo to drum on two of the songs in the encore (Sgt. Pepper Reprise and Helter Skelter), and the crowd went nuts.  Joe Walsh came out for the last couple numbers -- the mashup of Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End.

All in all, a great show and I'm really thankful I got to see the two surviving Beatles playing onstage.  

• Like 2

saw the growlers in denver at the ogden theater last weekend. good venue...austin needs more mid size indoor venues like that. they sounded good just wish they would have played more pre chinese fountain material. they still have the weirdest fan base...teenage girls and 30's men. 

Anyone go to the Alice In Chains/Korn show last night? Going to see the Houston show tomorrow. I know Korn closed the show but are they alternating headliners each night? (hoping AIC gets longer set). 

Went to the Houston show. AIC absolutely killed it. The atmosphere was great, and the set list was amazing!

I also had the privilege of seeing Blues Traveler at Red Rocks on July 4. Not a huge BT fan, but I was completely blown away by the concert. Red Rocks on the 4th complete with fire works, lightening, rain and hail was quite the spectacle.

friday night- buzz electro and rickshaw billies burger patrol at the lost well. that was a fucking rock show. buzz electro is bluesy psych rock. rickshaw billies is heavier and really catchy. recommended. then i went over to empire control room and saw think no think. the drummer from the sword is playing with them now, he's good. i liked their set but feel like i need to hear their new album and be more familiar with the songs to really get into it. 

saturday night- the well at empire control room. they are a lot of fun, head banging sabbath riffs that dont' get old. 

• 2 weeks later...

the growlers in san antonio at paper tiger on friday night. i like that venue a lot, reminds me of old emo's. 

the growlers in dallas at granada theater on saturday night. this was the best of the 3 shows i saw on this tour. crowd was super into it and the band had great energy. they sounded very good. played a couple new tracks off their album that will apparently be coming out soon. looking forward to that, and hoping they stop in austin on the subsequent tour. 

On 8/13/2019 at 5:00 PM, pepper brooks said:

catching that one the 25th in Houston.  really looking forward to Noel more than Pumpkins.  Anxious to hear your review.  

Could have had better seats we were center stage about 3 rows back. Noel was good but played mostly his new stuff so if you like his new songs you’ll really like him. The smashing pumpkins were awesome as well. Billy sounds great and they’re drummer good lord can he drum! Can’t think of his name off the top of my head but he does it so effortlessly too

• Like 1

Jimmy Chamberlain. He is really amazing if you watch him.  I saw them on the first part of the comeback tour last year in Austin.  took my son 18.  he was floored. 32 songs the setlist was insane if you are a pumpkins fan.  the new album has a couple of decent songs on it too.   

Saw Chris Stapleton in Bossier last night. Had pit tickets and got there early enough to get at the stage. He put on a hell of a show, and just killed it all around. If your a guitar fan, I highly recommend this show. The openers were solid as well. Markus King really stood out on the guitar too.7bfd0aa37507b5b3595fae4039f0333a.jpg

mogwai friday night at emo's. as always, loud as fuck. been a couple years since they came through austin, glad i got to see them. they are masters at building up an atmospheric mood then just punishing the fuck out of you with guitar noise. 

So.....smashing pumpkins last night with Noel Gallagher’s high flying birds as the opener. I was there mostly for Noel. I’m a pretty casual pumpkins fan.  I loved noel’s performance. Guy had maybe a 12 song set and left it all on the stage. Half the show is birds and the back half oasis tunes. Loved them all. 

Pumpkins....my buddy was there for them and said they were great. Like I said, casual fan of theirs so I didn’t know that many of the songs. The ones I did know sounded really good to me. I thought billy sounded about as good as he can sound and I didn’t realize how talented a guitar player he is. He was awesome to watch. Guy was wearing a freaking dr no style tunic and kept bitching about Houston heat in August. Uh...., c’mon man, you gotta know your locale. 

On 8/24/2019 at 12:20 AM, CooterBrown said:

Black Pumas at Mohawk. Their album is fantastic. Live, they’re 10x better. Such a fantastic stage presence. they have 2 more sold out shows at Mohawk. Do what you can to see them live. If you remotely enjoy their album, you will be blown away in person.

c27bc0afaace36f50b79f8a4f38a4c22.jpg696ef4fdc409589d895618fb6ab48d98.jpg

Ha, I was a few people over to your right. And yeah, they blew me away. I'd been wanting to see them for a year and glad I finally got it done.

spacer.png

the nude party at antone's. every once in a while you get lucky enough to see a band turn the corner and really come into their own. the last time i saw these guys it was at the electric church playing for about 12 people. last night they sold out antone's and played an exceptional set. they've added a pedal steel player, which fits their sound really well. crowd was super into it and the band sounded great. 

the opening band, boa, was also worth checking out. 

band of skulls last night at mohawk. 10 year anniversary of their first album, played a lot of stuff from it...which was great. did a couple acoustic numbers as well, which were halfway drowned out by the band that was playing on the inside stage. not a whole lot of people there but it was a very comfortable night for an outdoor concert. 

band of skulls last night at mohawk. 10 year anniversary of their first album, played a lot of stuff from it...which was great. did a couple acoustic numbers as well, which were halfway drowned out by the band that was playing on the inside stage. not a whole lot of people there but it was a very comfortable night for an outdoor concert. 

Saw them last time at Antones and liked them a lot. I was wondering what the crowd would be since Mohawk is triple the size and they didn’t sell out Antones.

saw matthew sweet at 3ten.  was really looking forward to it, as the setlist looked great. and girlfriend is one of my all time favorite albums.  they set his mic up low and i'm thinking hmmm.  he comes out and he msut weigh close to 280 pounds, it was pretty shocking to be honest.  he sits down and then says he blew his knee and hip out 2 weeks ago.  i'm ok, not optimal but songs are great so who cares.  then he says he has a rip roaring cold and his voice is going to sound pretty bad.

have to give him props that he powered through it and did the best with what he had but it was pretty disappointing.  mainly i just hope he loses some weight.  the band was pretty good.

41 minutes ago, I Got Worms said:

Saw Matthew Sweet a couple years ago at 3Ten. He wasn't hobbled and sick so he put on a great show. Dude can play the guitar. But i was also shocked at how fat he was when he walked out. Almost unrecognizable. 

thats what was disappointing, I had seen some videos and knew he could still sing and play.

blk vinyl on east 6th did a 50th anniversary of abbey road concert yesterday at their shop. 4 bands each tackled a couple songs from the album, it was mostly pretty good. free beer didn't hurt. 

dakaiju played a free show at empire garage last night. they riffed out and set their shit on fire and it was as entertaining as ever. 

pharmakon at hotel vegas. this woman makes dark weird industrial music and is very aggressive and confrontational with the audience...walking around and screaming in people's faces and rolling around on the floor. it was almost more like performance art than a concert. one of those things i went to more for the spectacle than the music. 

• 2 weeks later...

Amon Amarth with Arch Enemy supporting is a great tour. A few of AA's best songs from the latest release but mostly a trip through the highlights of the past 15 years.  Each time I see them it's a bigger venue, and they seem totally comfortable and in their element right now. Great set list, Johann is a badass front man, and some fun stage spectacle from time to time (sword fighting, dragons, etc). Aside from one guy that got absolutely annihilated in a random pit (so much blood), the crowd was having a blast and totally into the show. 

Stone Temple Pilots last Tuesday night was a really good show.  Saw them at revention in Houston.  Crowd was a bit thin honestly.  THey have a new premium bar called 40 below, and we had access to that.  They had Blantons for a reasonable $13 a pour.  The show was great.  I thought they were better this time than they were a year ago at CWMP.  I really think Gutt does a fantastic job leading the band.  He's not Weiland, who is, but he's certainly good enough that you don't really miss Weiland too much. The Demeo brothers clearly still love what they are doing.  If you're into 90's nostalgia acts that are still performing at a very high level and offer an energetic show and still have passion for their music I would highly recommend it.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

saw a bunch of great stuff at levitation festival this past weekend. a place to bury strangers, frankie and the witch fingers, and monolord were my personal favorites. somehow 3 straight nights of staying out until 2am didn't kill me. 

• 4 weeks later...