Live Musical Performance Reviews

stc

Saturday night at Beerland:

The Boleys- 3 sibling power trio from Florence, TX. Had kind of a Ty Segall psych punk thing going on. Not bad, definitely have potential. 

Teevee- 4 piece from Austin. Droning psych with some good hooks and lots of noise. Will definitely be checking them out again.

Peyote Coyote- Aside from having a great name, they also sound pretty good.  Fuzzed out garage rock with some psych surf sounds mixed in there and good bluesy lead guitar.  

qotsa at austin360/cota last night. the opening band, wolf alice, was awful. the qotsa set was over 2hrs long and more than half of the songs were drawn from the last 2 albums...so not really an ideal setlist but that's really my only complaint. they sounded great and the light show was simple but effective. their live show has been on another level since drummer, jon theodore, joined the band a few years ago. he definitely adds a new dimension to their sound...and his solo during no one knows was pretty great as far as drum solos go. you can't quit me was the highlight for me, they jammed the shit out that extended outro and i fucking love it when they incorporate the lap steel. wish they would have included at least one song from rated R. 

a giant dog- i can see the appeal, but very much not my thing. 

parquet courts- they were good but their set was too long. could have condensed it down to 30 minutes and enjoyed it a lot more. 

ty segall- mostly songs from the new album. i know that's kind of his thing but i wish he would play a few more songs off earlier albums. despite that, it was an excellent show. they are very good at rocking out. definitely enjoyed the lucifer sam cover that they threw into the middle of one of their jams. capacity crowd at stubbs usually means a complete shitshow, but where i was at least everyone was cool. 

Moondoggies at Radio coffee. Their new album is good. It was a free show and there were only about 10 people in attendance. They're playing there again tonight, y'all check em out. They sounded great, pedal steel was perfect. 

Ministry and Chelsea Wolfe at Emo’s. My wife asked me to describe CW and I said imagine if Jewell was raised in a coven and feed a steady diet of black metal and satanism to go with her folk music. Anyway, she was awesome. I think her voice gets lost behind all the atmospherics on her albums but it was front and center here. Great stuff. 

Ministry fucking brought it. Best show from them in a few years even if Al needed to glance at a lyric sheet for damn near every song. Burton Bell from Fear Factory co-sang a few of the new songs like Chris Connelly used to do back in the day. Loudest show I’ve been to in years. Even with ear plugs, my ears are ringing today and I can’t hear shit. 

Edited by CooterBrown

Last night of Levitation.

Black Angels were great tonight. Ive seen them a dozen times and they were tight as fuck.

Brian Jonestown Massacre was meh. They were better a year ago at Mohawk. Per usual, Anton bitched at the rest of the band for fucking up every other song. 

Annabelle Chairlegs are one of my favorite local bands and it was my first time seeing them live. Check them out, they’re very good. 

saturday: 

tweak bird- sibling guitar/drum garage psych duo. very loose and rough around the edges. not bad. 

dead meadow- oozed out their distinctive, slow style of stoner rock. they have a different drummer than the last time i saw them, he has a strange over exaggerated style but i liked his playing better than the last guy. i like their latest album and was hoping to hear a few more songs off that record. good set though. 

vuelveteloca- chilean psych band. they were good but not all that memorable. 

oh sees- one of the best sets of the weekend. tons of energy both from the band and crowd. the two drummers thing is so good. 

sunday: 

wooden shjips- they sounded great. such a chill, smooth droning sound with bursts of guitar. very hypnotic. 

rattlesnake milk- twangy west texas cow punk. they've got a good sound going, looking forward to their album. 

billy king and the bad bad bad- they didn't have a bass player and didn't sound nearly as good without the low end. sounds like they're currently looking for someone to fill that role. 

acid mother's temple- my favorite set of the weekend. crazy japanese men playing self described "extreme trip music". the set ran the gamut from slow spacey drones to complete shredding anarchy. they played their dicks off and it was awesome. also, extremely fucking loud.  

16 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Brian Jonestown Massacre was meh. They were better a year ago at Mohawk. Per usual, Anton bitched at the rest of the band for fucking up every other song. 

that dude is unbearable to listen to, and the main reason i skipped that set.  i don't understand the fascination the black angels have with bjm.  

Jack White. It was fine. His last show at Austin Music Hall was much, much better. 

A Giant Dog opened. They’re in the running for the most hyped Austin band that fails to deliver and that’s a long ass list. 

Edited by CooterBrown

saw jack white last night at austin360/cota. it was a phone free show, they locked up phones in little neoprene pouches that you kept with you and then unlocked at the end of the show. i didn't want to deal with that shit so i left my phone in the car. played about 1/3 white stripes songs and the rest was his solo stuff, i think maybe there was 1 raconteurs song in there. his band consisted of a drummer, bass player, and 2 keyboard players. i thought the 2 keyboards, combined with his guitar tone, made the overall sound a little too heavy on the high end. he played about 20 different guitars over the course of the night. i'm not a big white stripes fan...i thought the full band treatment might change my mind on those songs but it didn't. thought the songs off the new album were a lot better live. he's clearly a talented guy and it was interesting watching them play so many different styles of music, there were moments of greatness but ultimately it left something to be desired. 

Neil Young announced a surprise show with Crazy Horse last week that was originally 2 nights in Fresno, but added a 3rd night in Fresno and 2 more in Bakersfield. Unrehearsed, 1st time with Crazy Horse since 2014. Original though brief Crazy Horse member Nils Lofgren on guitar. I got great, 6th row center, seats for the 2nd night.

Never had been to Fresno. What a shit hole. Warner Theater was a fantastic venue though. Really cool.

We drove 3 1/3 hours. The show was great, though a little under-welming. The volume was lower than I'm used to at a rock show, then I realized that at 49, I'm at the younger end of Neil's fan base

They opened with extended versions of a couple songs from the 90s. Neil took about 6 guitar solos per song and I was prepared for long, jam set; but he settled down after that.

Highlights were World on a String, Cortez the Killer, Winterlong, and Cinnamon Girl.

Lowlights were zero lead guitar for Nils - it was a waste to see such a great musician do nothing but try to stay out of Neil's way all night. Then at the end they had some big bird prop come from the rafters, turned out to be an organ for Nils to play while suspended. WTF

Bitching aside, it was a great show and will soon be a great tour as these guys shake off the rust. 4 out of 5

693ad764daa07fbade37fe6590a56a58.jpg

de28a4a647e541b9e191c1aa7a407d38.jpg

fd5f38c357c986fb8bf4b06e10598b9b.jpg

93e597270c84880373da521cd1f9157e.jpg

58fc3a5d29bd2657f481e6ec433d7d10.jpg

cc3e0c581b527c40272d1a395b01a367.jpg

bfb4f111a6832f37c5683eca88397d56.jpg

Edited by AnotherUTFan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

all them witches, mastodon, primus at cota friday night. emptiest i've ever seen that place. lawn was closed off, upper seats were maybe 1/4 full and the lower seats and pit were mostly full.

it's impossible to get to this shit venue by 7:00pm so we missed all but one song of all them witches. they sounded good. 

the sound for mastodon was very muddy. they played lots of stuff off the new album. i've come around on some of those songs, thought steambreather was really good. wish they could've played longer. 

the sound was great for primus. played 4 or 5 old songs then played the entire new album, which clearly nobody gave a shit about. it was basically a 7 song piss break, a fair number of people actually left at that point. then they played some more old tunes. they sounded great, even the new stuff had interesting moments, particularly with claypool on upright bass. 

pond at mohawk. australian psych band that shares some of the same members with tame impala. their earlier stuff is a little heavier with some good hooks, their more recent albums have been more pop/synth focused. i wish they would've played more old stuff, they really focused on the newer synth heavy songs. they looked, and to some degree sounded, like they were straight from the 80's. lead singer was very lively and had kind of a david bowie stage presence. had been wanting to see these guys for a while, missed them at sxsw back in 2012 and they haven't been back since. would see again. 

the texas gentlemen at white horse. god damn, they tore it up and laid it down. dude on keys is a monster. played a lot of country-blues-funk-jams, they showed some serious range. tx jelly is a damn good album. 

Braved the unkempt masses and went to Rocklahoma yesterday... Ended up seen Pop Evil, Clutch, Vince Neil, and Ghost (did not care to stick around for Godsmack at all).

Pop Evil - Terrible. Not a fan of their music when I hear it on the radio, but live it's obvious the singer cannot sing at all.

Clutch - Fan-fucking-tastic! I'm familiar with a few Clutch songs, but everything they played sounded great and was just fun to listen to. I will definitely catch them the next time they come around.

Vince Neil - I would say he probably sounds like he did back in the 80s. That is, I don't think he could ever sing perfectly live. His voice was strong and not strained, he just couldn't hit keep pitch well. Having said that, his new backing band is fantastic. Vince left the stage (probably to do blow off some chick's tits) and the rest of his band did a cover of Heaven and Hell. The guitarist who sang absolutely killed it. I will definitely look up who that is and check out some of his other work.

Ghost - They are the reason I went, and they didn't disappoint. Just a fun band that puts on an amazing live show, even at an outdoor venue.

doobie brothers and steely dan on sunday night. doobies were surprisingly good, vocals still sounded perfect. despite not having walter becker steely dan still sounded pretty much the same as the last couple times i've seen them. donald fagen's voice is fairly weak but he's got the back up singers carrying most of the load. all the musicians are still top notch.  

Attempted to see Royal Blood last night at Stubb's. They had to cancel due the singer being sick but the opener, Turbowolf, played a free show indoors.

They were great. Sound was shitty indoors. I couldn't hear the vocalist at all but they were high energy and had some good hooks.

• 3 weeks later...

king gizzard and the lizard wizard friday night at stubbs. hot as balls in there, everyone drenched in sweat. the openers, amyl and the sniffers, were an australian punk band and were pretty good. they sounded australian as fuck. king gizzard played for almost 2 hours and barely took any breaks between songs. as usual, they were very uptempo and extremely tight. this was the last show of their 22 date US tour and you could definitely tell they had it dialed in. it was also an extremely respectful and refreshing crowd in terms of cell phones, talking, etc. good times. 

Saw Kelly Willis on Sunday in Atlanta.  

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kelly-willis/2018/smiths-olde-bar-atlanta-ga-3ea21bf.html

Didn't know how the new band would be without a female harmony singer and not fiddle/mandolin, but the guys really pulled it off.  Geoff Queen a really solid guitar player and an incredible steel player.  The new keyboardist is also fantastic on a Tele.  Kelly has really gotten more and more talkative over the years on stage.  Very funny.  Great so....but what else would you expect from her.  

Saw Pixies/Weezer on Wednesday.   
Off to see John Prine tonight.  
Willie et al. roll into town tomorrow with the Outlaw Festival.  Gonna be 102 so I'm probably not going out there for the whole thing.  

Saw them last night at cota. But we missed the beginning of the pixies,. They started earlier than we thought.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around how incredible Devo was last night. Unbelievably huge sound, by far the biggest sound I've ever heard at an outdoor show; maybe AC/DC at AT&T. Those 80's synthesizer sounds were big and they floated effortlessly from synthetic techno-y Née Wave to all guitar Rock and Roll band and all kinds of hybrids in between. Everybody in the crowd was looking at each other like "wtf?" Beyond "Whip It", which they got out of the way early, I was shocked at how many of their songs remembered; even then some of their best material was shit I'd never heard. Fred Armisen sat on drums and absolutely crushed it. Talk about a show blowing away expectations. Went from being a kitsch show we went to since we were gonna be in the area anyway, to probably a top 5 show for me.

I went to this show and the GoGo's Thursday with the same Millennial friend and I have to say, the Gen X bands are holding up fine. She was blown away by both shows.

e065012e1ff5db48d5bd86ea1b9dff84.jpg

762146da5b8ff8d59de5c7ac3f1e89d9.jpg

794deec04dea83436632db85888ff8eb.jpg

de2d1523b35b4b97723c5fb1cb0ab14f.jpg

caafa8beb10ffe9380b82d738afb0a07.jpg

Supersuckers and (REO) Speedealer at 3Ten Live last night.

Supersuckers were the Supersuckers. Trailer trash rock n roll. Competent enough as usual.

I had never seen Speedealer, formally REO Speedealer until they got a cease and desist letter. I've been a fan since their first album that included such classics as Double Clutchin' Finger Fuckin', Cocaine Dave, and Shitterbahn. They can best be described as what would Motorhead sound like if they grew up in Dallas.  They did not disappoint.  Their drummer is the drummer from Rigor Mortis.  

Edited by CooterBrown

21 hours ago, Continental Op said:

Saw Pixies/Weezer at Cota last night as well.  I enjoyed The Pixies but the bass player can't sing worth a shit.  Weezer was very strong.  

Well, Kim never was the greatest singer ever.  I thought Paz handled Gigantic just fine.

If John Prine is coming to your town (with Amanda Shires opening) you need to go see that.  Post haste. He has a killer band and despite the fact that cancer has changed his voice, it brings him more gravitas if anything.  Saw him at the Winspear on Friday and I was really going just to see the legend in the flesh.  I'd previously seen him at the Paramount probably 20 years ago.  I didn't think he could top that.  But dang, he knows how to play the elder statesman and work the crowd with his stories.  

Saw Ryan Bingham (put on a good show), Sturgill Simpson (put on a GREAT show)  and Willie on Saturday.

I had read some review of Sturgill's current show as "jam band-ish" and was therefore very skeptical.  Man, was I ever wrong.  His band is downright killing it.  They played about an hour and a half varying from country to hard, improvised riff-rock (think shades of Zep, less those high Plant notes).  I honestly can't wait to see him again when he has his entirely his own set.  I thought I was seeing him at peak during Metamodern, then during Sailor's Guide, but evidently, he's just headed up. 

Willie was still great at being Willie.  As referenced previously, his voice has aged, but damn he still has the guitar chops.  I'll never get tired of him playing "Nuages." 

On 7/1/2018 at 3:03 PM, Continental Op said:

Saw Pixies/Weezer at Cota last night as well.  I enjoyed The Pixies but the bass player can't sing worth a shit.  Weezer was very strong.  

Was there too.  I was not expecting much from Weezer, but they put on a really good show.  They sounded good and you can tell they still enjoy playing.  They rocked the shit out of Africa also which was a nice surprise.  Would recommend seeing them.

• 2 weeks later...

Donkeys last night at barracuda. Damn good show. New guitarist gave them a little bit of a different sound, lots of space in his playing. Buxton opened. They've got a new album coming out in October.

Smashing Pumpkins was a great show last night.  Was going in expecting to hear competent musicians who are in the process of cashing in, and the first coupe songs felt kind of that way, but then they just turned it on and it was fantastic.  They played for over 3 hours and I could've stayed for more.  All in all I'd recommend you catch this tour.  Here was their setlist:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-smashing-pumpkins/2018/frank-erwin-center-austin-tx-2beb94ea.html

11 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Smashing Pumpkins was a great show last night.  Was going in expecting to hear competent musicians who are in the process of cashing in, and the first coupe songs felt kind of that way, but then they just turned it on and it was fantastic.  They played for over 3 hours and I could've stayed for more.  All in all I'd recommend you catch this tour.  Here was their setlist:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-smashing-pumpkins/2018/frank-erwin-center-austin-tx-2beb94ea.html

How large was the crowd? There were articles a while back about the tour not selling very well.

they had to tarp some of the upper deck sections. lower bowl had some empty seats.  Tickets were just a bit too pricey, IMO, but If you like the Gish/Siamese Dream/Mellon Collie Pumpkins, it was damn good, you got 17 songs out of the 31 and got your money's worth. the covers were pretty good as well.  

Id rather they bag a couple off the later albums, remove one cover, and play essentially the same set but add Geek USA, Silverfuck, and Spaceboy.  those were the only missing songs for me.

Corgan can still play and sing pretty well.  the screwed up the start of Cherub Rock and one other song but all in all it was real nod to the fans that made them what they are and that is somewhat rare these days.  They are an acquired taste live because they have so many great slow songs. Took my 18 year old son and when they started Porcelina he was like "no way!".  

Oh, and I can see why he kept dealing with(for the most part) Chamberlain's drug problems.  the dude really keeps all that shit together. he's very very underated.

Chamberlin is my favorite drummer of all time. I was there as well in the front row and I highly recommend anyone see this tour if you can. BC was in an incredible mood and I think truly appreciated playing for everyone in attendance. If you're a fan of the band at all I think this show is a continuation of the Machina story he attempted to tell in 2000 but was cut off by the record label. 

I would say FEC was about 70% full not counting the 6 sections they had tarped off upstairs. There was a LOT more singing from the audience than I expected.

Edited by SlingeroGuitaro