If/When the 2020 season is canceled: what about the player eligibility?

zork

If/When the 2020 season is canceled: what about the player eligibility?  Are Seniors given a chance to play the following year?  Are the rest moved up like a normal year?  How is this shit going to work?  More scholarships to allow for the logjam of extra players due to eligibility allowances?  Or is it tough tittie for Ehlinger and the rest of the seniors for example?  What is the answer and what is going to happen?  Or are they going to blow off any risk and play on?

Game on.mp4 (from waynes world)

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, mdmost said:

It will be like basketball and baseball. They'll be given an additional year of eligibility if they want. I'd imagine the NFL will treat this year as one of the 3 years required to be draft eligible. 

I think the NFL rule is just 3 years removed from high school. It doesn't actually require any experience.

3 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

Fucks the high school seniors as well.  They have to move forward.  Lose their last shot to play for most.  Probably fewer transfers?  Rosters would be so full, might not want to lose/give up a spot?  Logistical nightmare.

If last season's sophomores can declare in the spring, there could still be transfers.  Maybe more redshirts too.  A lot of those soon-to-be HS seniors losing an entire season of conditioning will need a year to get back into playing shape? 

Edited by Js1

9 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

Hell, Trevor Lawrence is done then.

If there's no season, I'd bet he declares the day after that announcement and start private workouts for the draft next year.  Why sit around and do online schooling if there is no season? 

Edited by Js1

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

If there's no season, I'd bet he declares the day after that announcement and start private workouts for the draft next year.  Why sit around and do online schooling if there is no season? 

"Why should we have to go to online class if we came here to play FOOTBALL, we ain't come to play ONLINE SCHOOL, Zoom classes are POINTLESS"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

If last season's sophomores can declare in the spring, there could still be transfers.  Maybe more redshirts too.  A lot of those soon-to-be HS seniors losing an entire season of conditioning will need a year to get back into playing shape? 

I understand this is a football board but there are multiple other sports affected if Football is canceled. They will also cancel VB for example - daughter is a ‘22 VB player currently fielding college offers.

2 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

I understand this is a football board but there are multiple other sports affected if Football is canceled. They will also cancel VB for example - daughter is a ‘22 VB player currently fielding college offers.

Rules?

[Does math in head]

Nm.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

If season gets cancelled you’d have to think that’s the last we see of Ehlinger. He’d have his degree at that point,  no reason to wait until 2022 to play in the NFL. 

Maybe. He's seems to settle around the 6th-best QB prospect in the 2021 draft class.  

1 hour ago, mulletpelini said:

Fucks the high school seniors as well.  They have to move forward.  Lose their last shot to play for most.  Probably fewer transfers?  Rosters would be so full, might not want to lose/give up a spot?  Logistical nightmare.

Expanding the scholarship limits to 100, then ratcheting it back down over the next 2 years would help.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
Not roster.
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Maybe. He's seems to settle around the 6th-best QB prospect in the 2021 draft class.  

If he settled at around the number 6 QB, I think he'd leave, but without another season to show something, I think the "Tim Tebow" comparisons are going to continue to grow and his stock is going to drop. The NFL is all about copying other teams success...and Sam doesn't seem to fit the mold of any current successful NFL QB.