Do you rename your pets? Or do they have multiple names?

Neikea

I think a pet's attention to you simply has to do with the sound of your voice, your presence, and the fact that you feed them. You satisfy their basic needs of food and shelter and security, just like anything and your kids too.

Edited by Neikea

I don’t do that because I’m not a lunatic. But that doesn’t have anything to do with the dog. Dogs don’t understand words but they do read emotion and remember sounds and connect things together. If you change your dog’s name from Snacks to Jax he will never notice. If it goes from Spot to Bowser, it’ll take a minute to connect but the dog doesn’t care and eventually that will be his name.

If I adopted a dog with a name I didn’t like I would absolutely change it.

1 minute ago, Celery Man said:

I don’t do that because I’m not a lunatic. But that doesn’t have anything to do with the dog. Dogs don’t understand words but they do read emotion and remember sounds and connect things together. If you change your dog’s name from Snacks to Jax he will never notice. If it goes from Spot to Bowser, it’ll take a minute to connect but the dog doesn’t care and eventually that will be his name.

If I adopted a dog with a name I didn’t like I would absolutely change it.

Dogs absolutely understand words, and the smart ones can even spell a little bit.  Mine sure as fuck knows what T-R-E-A-T and B-A-C-O-N mean.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Dogs absolutely understand words, and the smart ones can even spell a little bit.  Mine sure as fuck knows what T-R-E-A-T and B-A-C-O-N mean.

Even cats do and they give zero fucks.  We have two, and they individually respond/don't respond to their names.

• Like 1

One of my cats, Tips, responded to my vet when she called her name. My cat looked toward the vet when she mentioned her name and the vet said, "Oooh, she knows her name." On the other hand, the vet had her hands on my cat and it wasn't unusual that my cat would turn her head toward the person who was talking. Still, I think my cat knew her name regardless of who was speaking.

Regarding multiple names: Tips was called Rootleboos and Rootnoos and responded to that. My current cat is Cactus and he responds to Nopales and Nopalito. Another cat was Feisty and he responded to Mucklededun. Another was Lumpa and he responded to BigFat.

Cats are kings of the jungle. They are predatory, deceptive, cunning, sly. They are independent, confident, and proud. When they kill something, they own it and keep it. It's theirs. They don't bring it to you like a dog. They're not servile beasts that can be trained. They have their own mind and live their own lives. They couldn't care less what anyone thinks. I respect that greatly.

4 minutes ago, Neikea said:

Cats are kings of the jungle. They are predatory, deceptive, cunning, sly. They are independent, confident, and proud. When they kill something, they own it and keep it. It's theirs. They don't bring it to you like a dog. They're not servile beasts that can be trained. They have their own mind and live their own lives. They couldn't care less what anyone thinks. I respect that greatly.

10 minutes ago, Neikea said:

Cats are shit and so is your opinion

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

the distinction I was making was between understanding words (dogs don't) and recognizing sounds (dogs do) and drawing connections between sounds and things that accompany those sounds

When we lived in Louisiana, we got a SPCA kitten named Jelly Bean. While there for his first year there his easy/quick nickname changed to “Beaner”.
We get the chance to move back to Texas, and the SA area to be specific, so his name got changed to JB real quick!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

the distinction I was making was between understanding words (dogs don't) and recognizing sounds (dogs do) and drawing connections between sounds and things that accompany those sounds

Explain why when I say V-E-T  she runs and hides under the bed.  

9 minutes ago, Deej said:

wrong. 

https://massivesci.com/articles/do-dogs-understand-our-words/

Maybe not exactly as we do, but they have some understanding. 

that is interesting and not something I had read, although even here they are saying the language processing is very different

5 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Explain why when I say V-E-T  she runs and hides under the bed.  

same reason why Kevin stopped licking his sore spot when I shouted "LEAVE IT" at him (we just got back from the vet, he has a topical antibiotic on a big old swollen spot where he got scraped or bit by something). It's conditioned.  Although again Deej's article is interesting. I guess the relevant point I was trying to make is you're not going to have some Kunta Kinte moment giving a dog a new name. He'll make the connection with the new name and become conditioned to happily respond to it to come get his love, kibble, affection, etc.

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

My Vincey knew happy hour. She’s go ducking nuts when she heard that bc she knew she was going to get to hang outside and drink beer with her humans for 5 or 6 hours. 
similarly whenever she saw my wife grab the cigarettes or vodka bottle. She didn’t even have to say a word- the dog would just run straight to the door wagging her tail and dancing around all happy. 

15 minutes ago, Neikea said:

Yeah. You failed there. Dogs stink. Cats clean themselves. All dogs do is lick their balls.

Man, I used to be with you. However, this dog we have now is awesome. I think I may give up a kid or my wife before I let him go. He was bought for the kids, but he’s my dog. Little bastard sleeps on my side of the bed, lays on the couch with me whenever I’m sitting, ignores the other 3 in the house whenever I’m around, lays under my desk while I’m working, etc.

18 minutes ago, Brew said:

Man, I used to be with you. However, this dog we have now is awesome. I think I may give up a kid or my wife before I let him go. He was bought for the kids, but he’s my dog. Little bastard sleeps on my side of the bed, lays on the couch with me whenever I’m sitting, ignores the other 3 in the house whenever I’m around, lays under my desk while I’m working, etc.

Get a husky. Self-cleaning and no odor. 

Stay away from any type of hound. 

Edited by Deej

Deej - I can agree! After having a Bassett Hound for roughly three years, following a Schnauzer and two Corgis for 20+ years, its got to be the dumbest breed known to man!

He does love my wife, maybe more than I, but I digress! I used to travel a lot (pre -COVID) and she let him sleep at the foot of the bed. Now accustomed to it, he likes to “creep” up during the night, so when I get up in the AM, we’re almost face to face!

I called my new cat rootlboos tonight. I shouldn't have done that. His name is Cactus or Nopales or Nopalito or Snapperhead.

That other cat's name was Tips or Polar Bear or Rootles. She's dead now. I had to put her down. She spent 18 years with me though.

6 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

Deej - I can agree! After having a Bassett Hound for roughly three years, following a Schnauzer and two Corgis for 20+ years, its got to be the dumbest breed known to man!

He does love my wife, maybe more than I, but I digress! I used to travel a lot (pre -COVID) and she let him sleep at the foot of the bed. Now accustomed to it, he likes to “creep” up during the night, so when I get up in the AM, we’re almost face to face!

Bassets aren't dumb. They just refuse to listen. Everything is just a big "Fuck you!"

I have a basset/heeler mix. Love her to death, but what a headstrong little bitch. 

• Like 1

Cats don't require the attention that dogs do.

I went to China for 3 weeks and I simply asked my friend to show up every 4 days to make sure they still had food and water and to scoop their poop. I did the same thing when I went to Italy, Greece, England, and France for similar amounts of time.

I left a window open in my 2nd bedroom so they could go in and out while I was thousands of miles away. It was no big deal. Cats take care of themselves.

Of course, I leave my windows open all the time but that's another thread but moderately relevant to this.

Over the damned near thirty years of marriage if had: Domino (white cat with black spots), Sterling (silver/grey cat), Bevo (orange cat), Cloutille (tabby female while in Louisiana), Claus came around Christmas, and my current ones JB - or “sphincter” - asshole cat and the newest, a solid black cat called Jack Black or “Jack-Jack”.

2 adopted cats- Bootsie & Donut(found behind DD dumpster) they help fill the void of being empty nesters.   We're fully committed to them but we do miss the days when we could just jettison off to somewhere on a whim for a few days w/out any worries of pets.  

Side note for the dog lovers--my mother's cat was killed by the neighbor's dog a few years ago. She watched it happen. Maybe the cat shouldn't have been outside or maybe the dog should have been kept inside instead of out in the yard where he could get through the fence and make his kill on my mother's property. That was on a Thanksgiving morning. The neighbor brought flowers. My mother threw them away. She didn't want the reminder of having seen the trauma.

Cats are wilder/less domesticated than dogs.  Dogs are pack animals, cats are solitary in the wild, except for mothers and children.  When dogs became domesticated, they left their pack and a lot of their survival mechanisms behind.  Cats mostly never did. 

The smaller cats are also both predator and prey, which makes for an usual instinctive behavior pattern that has not been domesticated out of them and that most dogs never exhibit.  Dogs will play at predation, but don't get serious until in the wild and in a pack.  Cats are straight up murderers, even fluffypants.

Cats are almost always bred for appearance, like foofoo dogs, and rarely for behavior.  What breeding there has been has only been for a couple of centuries.  Dogs have thousands of years of working characteristics bred into them.

Both fascinating animals and great, but different, pets.

We have 2 rescue mutts.  One was the only part of litter that survived until found by a storm drain.  She is the most affectionate, loving dog I have ever known, fox terrior/ Jack Russell mix.  The foster mom interviewed us before she gave the pup to us for adoption.  Within about a month, we realized how social she was.  Called foster mom and the day before someone had dumped a momma dog and her 2 pups at the shelter and foster mom picked them up.  We adopted one of the pups, red heeler mix.

They are both pretty freaking dumb as far as dogs go.  They love the hell out of us, and we them.

They get called their names or " bebe."