The Far Side Returns, Gary Larson Went Digital.

atomheartbevo

Have a stack of his books on my shelf. Two weeks ago I showed them to my girlfriend who had no idea who he was. I loved sitting outside hearing her giggle from the couch as she read through them. Might need to get a calendar for her. 

Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes were my childhood. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 6

17 hours ago, juan pantages said:

I feel like the digital painting takes away from the gag.

He said a clogged pen problem had turned him off of drawing. Sounds like he used Rapidographs or Staedtlers or some other torture device that'll make you hate life.

I bet he'd rock with a felt-tip marker, but he probably can't find one with all the royalty money scattered everywhere.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

He said a clogged pen problem had turned him off of drawing. Sounds like he used Rapidographs or Staedtlers or some other torture device that'll make you hate life.

I bet he'd rock with a felt-tip marker, but he probably can't find one with all the royalty money scattered everywhere.

I know I left that pen in here somewhere

Swimming In Money GIF - Swim Swimming Dough - Discover & Share ...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

They can be quirky....  jewel tips are the way to go though, they last longer.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

4 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

He was not cleaning them out after he'd finish his yearly Christmas cards, and so the ink dried, wash, rinse, repeat.

On a sidenote, he's been putting out curated collections of his work (or rather an assistant/internt) online every week:

https://www.thefarside.com/comic-collections

Edited by atomheartbevo

On 7/9/2020 at 6:56 PM, atomheartbevo said:

I love Far Side, but the first three strips are lame af.

28 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Are you shitting me?

2407713457_fce1cbfb96.jpg

Yeah I still think that's a good one...But man, I tried really hard to get my son into it and he it was a total fail. And almost nobody his age is into it, either. (He's 24.) It's weird when you try to show something to your kids and they just don't think it's funny at all...It makes you wonder if it ever really was. On the other hand, you can listen to tired music like "Stairway to Heaven" with your kids when they are first starting to get it and you start to love it again. 

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Unlike Calvin & Hobbes, which is eternal. 

If they made a Hobbes stuffed animal, both of my kids would own one, but he does not sell out (and the documentary on Netflix or whatever about him is awesome).   Generic tigers are not the same.

• Like 2

I hate to admit it but I kinda think MaC is right. It was fresh and awesome but hasn't aged well in the sense that it's just not that clever and novel anymore. The world caught up. I guess when you look at it from a 50,000 foot view, he wasn't really ever saying anything either.

On 7/10/2020 at 9:39 AM, InkaUtexas said:

Have a stack of his books on my shelf. Two weeks ago I showed them to my girlfriend who had no idea who he was. I loved sitting outside hearing her giggle from the couch as she read through them. Might need to get a calendar for her. 

Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes were my childhood. 

... and Bloom  County

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 11:12 PM, MaybeACoordinator said:

Yeah I still think that's a good one...But man, I tried really hard to get my son into it and he it was a total fail. And almost nobody his age is into it, either. (He's 24.) It's weird when you try to show something to your kids and they just don't think it's funny at all...It makes you wonder if it ever really was. On the other hand, you can listen to tired music like "Stairway to Heaven" with your kids when they are first starting to get it and you start to love it again. 

Both my kids (22 and 18) love it. 

17 hours ago, Rougarou said:

It was fresh and awesome but hasn't aged well in the sense that it's just not that clever and novel anymore. The world caught up. I guess when you look at it from a 50,000 foot view, he wasn't really ever saying anything either.

I’m trying to figure out your angle here because surely you don’t believe this tripe. 

1 hour ago, futureman said:

I’m trying to figure out your angle here because surely you don’t believe this tripe. 

No angle. I loved it as a kid, would also always get the calendar a day as stocking stuffers, even had the anthology/Far Side book. And maybe that’s the answer— it really resonates with boy/young men and we love the nostalgia and the memories of that part of our life?

I think the original Far Side is pretty rare in the sense that it actually ISN'T dated, at least compared to the competition.

Go watch some reruns of huge hit comedy shows of the 70s and compare them to their modern counterparts.  Say, M*A*S*H, Cheers, All In The Family, compared to Seinfeld, The Office, Curb Your Enthusiasm.  Older sitcoms were slower paced, less sarcastic, less witty.  Tastes evolve.  Plenty of olds would prefer I Love Lucy to Arrested Development.  Younger people?  Probably not.