1. 1. Which Steak is the Best?

• T-Bone
    • NY Strip
    • Ribeye
    • Porterhouse
    • Other

10 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

First off, 87 the fucking butter. 

Next, nothing is better to me than a nice, 12oz cut of prime rib, straight off the roll with some au jus. Throw some scampi shrimp on there and it's a mouthgasm.

My homey, prime rib is my favorite cut of meat.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

Porter. One of the hardest cuts to properly cook, you get portions of 4 cuts in one steak

56 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

What are the other 2 cuts besides filet and strip?

Good question, because................

A T-Bone and a Porterhouse are the same damn thing just cut from different ends of the loin. A porterhouse is cut from the end which has a larger filet cut the T-Bone has less filet.

Similar to a Ribeye which is much leaner on one end or Strip loin that has a vein on one side of the loin but not the other. 

• Like 2

Next, nothing is better to me than a nice, 12oz cut of prime rib, straight off the roll with some au jus. Throw some scampi shrimp on there and it's a mouthgasm.
86, but you're wrong. At least, my opinion about butter on steaks did a 180 when our friend (executive chef at the Driskill) was bored during his furlough and made us packages of cafe de Paris compound butter. Put some of that on a medium rare fillet & your day is made.

3 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:
17 hours ago, BigHorn said:

86, but you're wrong. At least, my opinion about butter on steaks did a 180 when our friend (executive chef at the Driskill) was bored during his furlough and made us packages of cafe de Paris compound butter. Put some of that on a medium rare fillet & your day is made.

I know it's 86 god dammit it was a typo. Which leads me to the next subject-- I don't need any extra fat as a big man (although the scampi is butter.) 

Now if you want to talk some sauteed onions, cognac, pepper crusting and the like I'm all ears but I'll still argue a good steak only needs spices. That's just my fat man opinion who tries to avoid the extra cholesterol when I can...

1 hour ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I know it's 86 god dammit it was a typo. Which leads me to the next subject-- I don't need any extra fat as a big man (although the scampi is butter.) 

Now if you want to talk some sauteed onions, cognac, pepper crusting and the like I'm all ears but I'll still argue a good steak only needs spices. That's just my fat man opinion who tries to avoid the extra cholesterol when I can...

Only thing a good cut of meat needs is kosher salt and black pepper. Some green chile powder if you’re feeling adventurous. Anything more is like putting a burka on your playmate of choice. 

A T-Bone and a Porterhouse are the same damn thing just cut from different ends of the loin. A porterhouse is cut from the end which has a larger filet cut the T-Bone has less filet.
Similar to a Ribeye which is much leaner on one end or Strip loin that has a vein on one side of the loin but not the other. 

Listen to this man

4 hours ago, Hate said:

New York Strip is my favorite.

New York strip is criminally underrated.  Sure a perfect ribeye is great but too often it’s too much fat.  NY strip comes out perfect more often then not.  I only get a ribeye at certain spots.  

Of course the ribeye cap/spinalis beats the shit out of all of em but usually has to be off menu because there’s not enough of the stuff.  It’s the best by a country mile.  Nobody is gonna mess up and give you the rib cap when you order a ribeye.  

https://jesspryles.com/recipe/spinalis-dorsi-ribeye-cap/

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

New York strip is criminally underrated.  Sure a perfect ribeye is great but too often it’s too much fat.  NY strip comes out perfect more often then not.  I only get a ribeye at certain spots.  

Of course the ribeye cap/spinalis beats the shit out of all of em but usually has to be off menu because there’s not enough of the stuff.  It’s the best by a country mile.  Nobody is gonna mess up and give you the rib cap when you order a ribeye.  

https://jesspryles.com/recipe/spinalis-dorsi-ribeye-cap/

This is pretty spot on. The inconsistency on ribeyes is why I almost always have a strip or a filet.

• Like 3

On 7/10/2020 at 11:27 AM, HoffaJimmy said:

Yes, and they got the two mixed up in the photo. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
Still voted ribeye.

On 7/10/2020 at 10:32 AM, RDCanecutter said:

Undercooked ground beef, just seared on the outside, a little salt, wash it down with cold black coffee and a banana.

Walk around the block, go back home to the throne room and release 5 pounds of unneeded extra weight.

The question was best steak, not best laxative.

On 7/11/2020 at 10:34 AM, nineliveslost said:

I always fall back to when I was young and poor and love a top sirloin , medium rare, perfection

Unsure if this was made of sirloin, round or horse meat but always hit the spot.spacer.png

Edited by Henry Hill
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, NaTeWHO said:

Voted Ribeye, but I love some Brazilian picanha.

cache_899438757.jpg

I voted other specifically to choose picanha. That's become our tailgate beef o' choice. A little coarse salt and some pepper and onto the grill. Eat it with molho da campanha (Brazilian "salsa" but with vinegar) and some farofa to soak up the juices. Damn. Muito bom! 

13 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

The question was best steak, not best laxative.

Best laxative was always the eggs over easy, bacon, grits, cantaloupe, greazzzzy buttered toast, and multiple cups of weak-ass coffee while reading the Chronicle front-to-back at the Red River Cafe.

Walk a block home, and you got One Job: Get Inside That Bathroom Now.

• Haha 1

Getting back to the butter issue, I'd never considered buttering a steak or even knew it was a thing until I watched an episode of Anthony Bourdain. His opinion was if the steak is done properly, there's no point in gilding the lily. Can't argue with that.

Edited by RPM