Things you really just don't get...

immortal13

12 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Chik-fil-A.

Yes, it is a clean and predictable experience. So is opening up a package of new socks, with similar taste.

No, that Chik-fil-A taste is not a taste. That is a pickle. Every grocery store sells jars of pickles. You can get a jar, and eat them while someone is polite to you.

You go too far sir..... too far.  There's not much on this planet better than a Chick fil a breakfast biscuit, and a coke.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

Golf.  

Played it several times.  A complete and total waste of time, money, and land.  I've tried to get into it a few times but I just really don't get it.  

I feel like the Ben character on "Parks and Rec" when they keep prodding him to finally give in and understand why Li'l Sebastian is so awesome.  And he nodingly agrees and then looks back at the camera like "I have no idea why they think that little horse is so awesome."  

I hate how pretentious it can be. I do appreciate the courses and being outdoors. When I hit my one or two drives per 18 that we use in a scramble, it feels pretty damned good.  Fleeting as hell though.

6 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

The desire to own an SUV. I could see buying one if you needed it for a job, same as a wheelbarrow or a weedeater, but there are people who desire SUVs?

Any club/church/organization with a precise rule-defined hierarchy. That pecking-order shit is for baboons.

Probably my biggest dead-zone of understanding is why anybody checks social media for any reason other than to sell something.

Do you have kids? If I were a single guy, a four door sedan would be fine. But with a 6 and 2 yo - two car seats - a stroller and the boys baseball equipment. It's either an SUV or a Mini-Van

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I get weed. It's natural and from the Earth (as long as it has not been cut with other chemicals) and you get a feeling from it. I don't smoke weed but I do get it.

But I absolutely do not get cigarettes. I mean the reason they do it so often is because they are dependent and addicted. But what drew them to a nasty ass cigarette in the first place?

You are aware that tobacco is from the Earth, too?

And probably before long we're gonna have doobies with filters and flavors and things that enhance the THC, etc.

Totally agreed on the first few dozen humans that lit some plants on fire and said "hey, let's breathe the smoke."  That kind of flies in the face of human experience.

• Like 2

my phone has built in gif search for responding to text messages/signal/discord/tapatalk/whatever built right into the android/google keyboard.  i have no idea why the search results it returns aren't at all the same as google image search for a gif with the same phrase.  for example, search for "that's a penis" on google images and the first 10 hits you get are all:

200.gif

from the keyboard, that gif doesn't appear at all.  really just don't get why.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Social media, I get the opportunities to creep on hot chicks but I don’t understand the whole concept. No Facebook, Instagram, etc and I manage to get through life fine. Wife also has none of the stuff.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, immortal13 said:

Avocados....they're mushy and flavorless. Keep that shit out of my salad please

+rep for this, although I bet we're probably in the very small minority here.

I don't get Gwen Stefani at all. Her music; No Doubt was meh and everything since is pop dreck. And she's not hot at all. Weird face and body of a 10 year old boy. The best thing she's ever done was the song she sang with Sublime where she was a replaceable background singer, basically.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, Brew said:

Social media, I get the opportunities to creep on hot chicks but I don’t understand the whole concept. No Facebook, Instagram, etc and I manage to get through life fine. Wife also has none of the stuff.

My wife is on every fucking social media platform out there.....drives me nuts

Is surly really social media?  I think of social media as Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. where everyone knows who you are and the whole purpose is to keep up with everyone and show how great your life is.

I really don't get that type of social media.  Obviously, I get the type of social media that is an anonymous bunch of assholes with a shared love of Texas football and tits.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

Is surly really social media?  I think of social media as Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. where everyone knows who you are and the whole purpose is to keep up with everyone and show how great your life is.

I really don't get that type of social media.  Obviously, I get the type of social media that is an anonymous bunch of assholes with a shared love of Texas football and tits.

I don't consider Surly as the same thing as social media 

• Like 1

Surly is way the fuck more honest than social media.

isn't it?

To me FB and IG are mediums to share pics of kids  with family and friends.  Not a whole lot of real dialogue around issues is happening aside from the few wingnut uncles/ friends that post the outrageous politics all of the time.

10 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Fantasy football/baseball/basketball/hockey.  If you have to follow professional sports pick a team.  Who has time for all that other nonsense that goes along with fantasy sports.

I enjoy playing fantasy football for the shit talking with our group. But bringing up your fantasy team outside of your league is the worst. I promise you no one gives a fuck about your team or what you need to win. And how your team is doing. I see this all over the place.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Fantasy football/baseball/basketball/hockey.  If you have to follow professional sports pick a team.  Who has time for all that other nonsense that goes along with fantasy sports.

You never had an argument/ discussion/ debate with a brother or friend about building the best team as a GM? It's one of the timeless qualities of sport.

I respect the fact people might not like it, but there is very much a 'love of sports' behind it for some of us who play it.  I also make it a point to not talk about it around anyone who isn't in our league or directly participating in fantasy sports.  I acknowledge what a boring ass beatdown that could be just listening to it.  I told my boys growing up, " Nobody at the dinner table gives a fuck how you did in Halo today.  they don't care about your fantasy team either."

Those are words to live by unless you're in a dedicated thread/ discussion.

Edited by slorch

9 hours ago, Brew said:

That you know of

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

That you know of

She spends very little time on her phone/iPad/etc. In fact it can be annoying, because if someone needs to reach her they text me knowing she probably doesn’t have her phone. She does watch most of the Bravo shows which should probably count as social media though.

In the same vein, I also don’t get the obsession with YouTube and watching other people’s lives there either. I’ll occasionally look up something to figure out how to do something, but I don’t know that I’ve spent any time watching any of the other stuff there. Throw TV in there for me too, don’t watch it other than the occasional series on one of the pay services or a movie. It’s clear from the things I don’t pay attention too that I work too much.

She spends very little time on her phone/iPad/etc. In fact it can be annoying, because if someone needs to reach her they text me knowing she probably doesn’t have her phone. She does watch most of the Bravo shows which should probably count as social media though.
In the same vein, I also don’t get the obsession with YouTube and watching other people’s lives there either. I’ll occasionally look up something to figure out how to do something, but I don’t know that I’ve spent any time watching any of the other stuff there. Throw TV in there for me too, don’t watch it other than the occasional series on one of the pay services or a movie. It’s clear from the things I don’t pay attention too that I work too much.

Goddamnit. My wife watches tons of “other people’s lives” type shit on YouTube and Instagram. Drives me absolutely fucking insane.

And to reply to the topic:

Religion
Fraternities/sororities
Rice burners
Mayonnaise
Retarded “be someone” graffiti in Houston

^

I'd subscribe to your newsletter.  Though, I'd change religion to "organized religion"  Their numbers are plummeting, but that they've made is this far is damn impressive.  I was in a fraternity at my college in Florida, for the simple reason that was the only place where alcohol was allowed on campus (and they cracked down fucking hard on booze anywhere else---dorms, on campus apartments, etc.).  If you were over 21 and in a frat house, you could have alcohol and so we'd "merge" in with that scene.  But being a baptist university, they had a brigade of campus cops walking the residence halls every night looking for anything remotely close to alcohol.  So I pledged.  Then I came to Austin in all of its free-love, free-partying glory and met a half dozen fraternities and thought, "What the hell is the point?  The party is everywhere!"  

And then speaking of graffiti, I think I posited this years ago on TOS.  I get tagging an underpass or abandoned building or warehouse by the tracks.  It could literally be one of your hangouts or a place from which you sling product or what have you.  But I never "got" the tagging your logo on legitimate businesses/buildings/etc. in mainstream parts of town.  Has anybody been driving down South Congress, looking at all the new gentrification and high-end retail, seen a construction fence tagged with letters, and though, "Oh yeah, looks like the Latin Kings are going to be part of the new Trammell Crow mixed-use.  That's awesome.  They needed to diversify from their Core+ office portfolio anyway."  

Mayonnaise is disgusting and has no place in our cuisine.  If you like Mayo and enjoyed the movie "Top Gun", you're not the person your father thinks you are.  

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

And to reply to the topic:

Religion
Fraternities/sororities
Rice burners
Mayonnaise
Retarded “be someone” graffiti in Houston

Regarding graffiti in Houston, my new favorite is Toeflop, whomever he may be.  Great name.  

Regarding graffiti in Houston, my new favorite is Toeflop, whomever he may be.  Great name.  

I have mixed feelings on him. Rowdy=toeflop by the way.

Be someone is so fucking dumb. Every soccer mom loves that shit. People get it tattooed. Lame. And UP and city of Houston look the other way because it’s “positive” but arrest real graffiti writers. Besides, be someone is just trying to market a shitty clothing brand.

4 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I have mixed feelings on him. Rowdy=toeflop by the way.

Be someone is so fucking dumb. Every soccer mom loves that shit. People get it tattooed. Lame. And UP and city of Houston look the other way because it’s “positive” but arrest real graffiti writers. Besides, be someone is just trying to market a shitty clothing brand.

Didn’t know the back story.  I just think “Toeflop” is a funny sounding name. 

On 7/10/2020 at 8:34 AM, Lobo said:

Golf.  

Played it several times.  A complete and total waste of time, money, and land.  I've tried to get into it a few times but I just really don't get it.  

I feel like the Ben character on "Parks and Rec" when they keep prodding him to finally give in and understand why Li'l Sebastian is so awesome.  And he nodingly agrees and then looks back at the camera like "I have no idea why they think that little horse is so awesome."  

It's because you've never taken the time to get good at it.  There is nothing better than breaking 90 or 80 for the first time.  Or hitting a 3wood on the screws and having 15 feet for eagle.  Or having a short iron into a Par 4 and knocking it stiff.  Or making a 40 foot downhill breaking putt that you barely tapped. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Hate said:

It's because you've never taken the time to get good at it.  There is nothing better than breaking 90 or 80 for the first time.  Or hitting a 3wood on the screws and having 15 feet for eagle.  Or having a short iron into a Par 4 and knocking it stiff.  Or making a 40 foot downhill breaking putt that you barely tapped. 

The highs of golf are very high.  The lows are just soul-crushing brutal.  

Spending time on a course with your regular gangsome and getting in a second 18 before the sun sets with nobody in front or behind you is a wonderful place to be.   Especially if everyone is playing well and the carry overs are getting large and some fool goes wolf.  At that point it is on, shots are called and the good times roll. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Hate said:

That’s true.  I’ve never taken the time.   But I Just don’t have that kinda spare time.  If I do, I spend it fishing, hiking, or charity work.  I like Aspects of golf but I think I’ve played enough rounds in the last 30 years thst I should have had that “ah-hah, it’s glorious” moment and I haven’t yet so it’s just not gonna happen.  And while I haven’t played Augusta or anything, I’ve played some ridiculously beautiful courses on three continents.  Not bagging on the game, just in the spirit of the thread....I gave it a very serious “try” and I just don’t get it.  I wanted to get it.  People that have played far less than me get it.  But I don’t get it.  I tried, not real hard, but tried.   It’s not fun, and I don’t get it.  That was the purpose of the thread.  I think when the kids are grown though, I’ll give it another shot.  

18 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Do you have kids? If I were a single guy, a four door sedan would be fine. But with a 6 and 2 yo - two car seats - a stroller and the boys baseball equipment. It's either an SUV or a Mini-Van

Yah Brah. I get the usefulness. I want to see the desire.

Let me reapproach the topic. Imagine life if you pulled up in this, one kid in the passenger seat minding his own business, the other one in that tiny space behind, working a martini shaker to refresh your drink. Stroller and baseball shit probably scattered back down the road.

REV-1462-1.jpg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

The desire comes from suburban mom's trying to one up/keep up with each other.  

A minivan is far, far, far more useful than a SUV. Easier to get in/out of, more flexible space, and except for an excursion, roomier and more comfortable. But today’s soccer moms don’t want to drive the vehicle that actually makes sense for their lifestyle. Instead, they’ll pay 20-50k more for a vehicle that makes them look like . . . A soccer mom. 

I’m mostly with Lobo on golf. I got decent when the kids were very young, I lived near a course, and I could play a quick 9 on the way to work, starting at 6 am in the summer. I’ve never been good, but during a 5 year stretch I got to where I could break 90 consistently. I had a fair number of those “golf moments” mentioned above, with the sweetly-struck ball, long putt, etc. Then as the kids got older, I would rather spend time going to their games, or working out, or traveling. So I haven’t played except for charity scrambles for about 20 years. 
But here’s the thing. My youngest just graduated from HS and decided he wanted to try it.  Even wanted a set of clubs for his grad gift. So we got him a decent set, a membership at a local muni course, and I’ve been going to the range with him. This morning he came back from the range beaming, so happy.  He’d figured out something or other with his swing and had an awesome day at the range. He was hitting them long and straight. Just can’t stop talking about it. That, my friends, is something that can get me back to the course. The love of my son and his joy from a well-hit shot. 

Now a couple of things that I just don’t get:

1) “baby on board” stickers/placards. Congratulations on having sex, I guess?

2) Tattoos. Like pregnancy, a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling. What used to be the sign of a rebel, a non-conformist, became the ultimate conformity sign. Now, the ultimate rebel in his/her 20s has clean skin. 
3) Mercedes G-Wagon. Uncomfortable, unwieldy, ugly $150,000 on wheels. The ultimate “I have more money than sense.”

4) “Reality” TV. Holy cow that’s some idiocy. Nothing real about it. Bachelor, etc.  my wife and daughters love it, but man I think it’s terribad. 
5) @RDCanecutter nailed my thoughts on suburban boomer Harley dude. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Nothing better than playing a round of golf when you don't have to worry about assholes in front of you or behind you.

That feeling of crushing a 300+ yard drive past the ladies' tees is sublime.

Our games are slightly different...