Things you really just don't get...

immortal13

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'd rather have a good Maine lobster....

That's fair.  I like em both. Crawfish or the lobsters.  Crawfish boil is typically a mighty fun social occasion along with some great grub and suds.

That's not to mention crawfish etouffee over white rice that is comfort food from hell.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I'd be more'n happy to not have either. Salmon is my seafood of choice, though catfish I've caught myself out of a stream I know for sure is clean is also pretty good. I'm damned happy to be living near a couple of such rivers, actually, because catfish is usually as gross as mudbugs, which is a shame, because I love the flavor.

Salmon creeps me out because I’ve never heard of a more worm-infested species of fish outside of maybe Amberjack from off the coast of Texas.

2 hours ago, immortal13 said:

Think there's any in that canned stuff?

Worms are apparently in all salmon (I googled, I don't suggest you do) but it's apparently not a big deal if they are dead; "

But experts say the worms are unwittingly eaten by plenty of seafood lovers and only pose a health risk if alive. 

The parasites, anisakid nematodes, sometimes called herring worms or cod worms, are among the most common parasites found in fish and the majority of wild salmon are infected, said Michael Gänzle, Canada Research Chair in food microbiology and probiotics at the University of Alberta."

9 hours ago, Atxracer said:

I love lobster. And, I love mud bugs.  But, unless there is a Cajun version of lobster I am not aware of (which is possible), they taste nothing alike.  

There are 2 things that taste like lobster; lobster, and monk fish. Other than that ? ... nahh...  Crawfish have a decidedly freshwater flavor.

21 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

What's amusing is most of them are full sized trucks without any form of winch and the back window is covered in Monster Energy and Browning or some other million dollar Corp. Add to that they live in the city and usually their trucks are spotless and not a single scratch can be found anywhere on the vehicle.

There are off roaders, and the thread here has some legit folks. However, 99% of the ones you see in Houston,  Austin or Dallas etc hardly see dirt. You'll never see a vehicle like that at a place like Wind Rock nor Hidden Falls, because largely, they are fucking worthless off road.

My kids all know that when we come upon one of those trucks, I shake my head and say, “poor guy. Don’t you feel bad for him?  He has to through life with a little bitty penis, and everyone knows it. Must be really difficult.”

14 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I'd be more'n happy to not have either. Salmon is my seafood of choice, though catfish I've caught myself out of a stream I know for sure is clean is also pretty good. I'm damned happy to be living near a couple of such rivers, actually, because catfish is usually as gross as mudbugs, which is a shame, because I love the flavor.

Damn, how white are you?

44 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

People that pay ridiculous prices for these mutt "designer" dog breeds. A Labradoodle? Get the fuck out of here with that shit

You know, the Yorkie was bread specifically to give to ladies (33+) in the 18th century to shut them up about wanting more kids. 

now that I’m 40, that shit makes absolute sense to me

Edited by Doc Reeves

1 minute ago, RDCanecutter said:

I don't get jam bands, or church services where people raise their hands in praise while they sing along with projected lyrics. I suspect that one gene controls for both those things.

I don't get the whole projected lyrics thing. Hate it. Gimme my Gott damn hymnal book !!

4 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I don't get the whole projected lyrics thing. Hate it. Gimme my Gott damn hymnal book !!

Pop songs should be three minutes long, with a clear hook line, and hymns should have four clearly-printed stanzas, the third one which is never sung.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Pop songs should be three minutes long, with a clear hook line, and hymns should have four clearly-printed stanzas, the third one which is never sung.

But that last stanza is the one that will get everyone ready to cross over the river Jordan...

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

But that last stanza is the one that will get everyone ready to cross over the river Jordan...

Everybody just hum along to Old Rugged Cross while I reach out to that one person, they know who they are, who just needs to step one foot in the aisle and come on down here. Can we hum it, brothers and sisters?

2 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Everybody just hum along to Old Rugged Cross while I reach out to that one person, they know who they are, who just needs to step one foot in the aisle and come on down here. Can we hum it, brothers and sisters?

Ahhhhhhh......good 'ol # 141 in the Baptist hymnal... can't beat it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, happyhookem said:

It's ok if you don't. Not everybody does. But, I'm a seafood kind of guy and I find them good.

I eat a lot of seafood, the wifes family are Chesapeake bay watermen, the Son in law fishes all the time.   I keep a freezer full of tuna steaks. They ain't my kind of seafood.

4 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Saltlife stickers in Dallas, Tennessee, and my absolute favorite, Chicago. Yeah, saw one on a Subaru in Chicago. 

Don't fucking bring up the Great Lakes, whose salinity is very, very low. 

Also, agreed, I don't give a fuck what political team you're and your co-exist sticker??? How about you quick posting to social media while driving so we can both CONTINUE to exist and not die from you killing me.

"Low salinity life" just doesn't have the same ring to it

• Haha 1

I don’t get pop music. The songs aren’t ever really about anything and rarely actually tell a story. And why on Earth would anyone go see a band that plays their music at a show the same way they play it on the album? What’s the point?

15 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Worms are apparently in all salmon (I googled, I don't suggest you do) but it's apparently not a big deal if they are dead; "

But experts say the worms are unwittingly eaten by plenty of seafood lovers and only pose a health risk if alive. 

The parasites, anisakid nematodes, sometimes called herring worms or cod worms, are among the most common parasites found in fish and the majority of wild salmon are infected, said Michael Gänzle, Canada Research Chair in food microbiology and probiotics at the University of Alberta."

That's why salmon sushi is usually treated by freezing than adding some citrus.  Tends to kill any parasites.  And ironically farmed salmon is less parasitic than wild salmon.

2 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Now that you mention it, I recall it had a bike rack on top.

So.. maybe she peddled to the Pacific. 

Yeah, a bikey saltlife lesbian in Chicago. I bet she's a hoot to hang out with.

Probably would be. Could cuss and drink beer and she'd be able to break down whatever game is on tv. And if you asked her if something was wrong, she wouldn't say ""NOTHing," she'd say "I'll tell you what the fuck is wrong, x, y, and z, but who cares, let's get another beer."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paco said:
On 7/10/2020 at 2:17 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:
You go too far sir..... too far.  There's not much on this planet better than a Chick fil a breakfast biscuit, and a coke.

Have some fucking dignity man!

HEHEHEHEHEHEH, Fuck dignity, I'm all about flavor, and that little tasty breakfast morsel is heaven on Earth.

15 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Saltlife stickers in Dallas, Tennessee, and my absolute favorite, Chicago. Yeah, saw one on a Subaru in Chicago. 

Don't fucking bring up the Great Lakes, whose salinity is very, very low. 

Also, agreed, I don't give a fuck what political team you're and your co-exist sticker??? How about you quick posting to social media while driving so we can both CONTINUE to exist and not die from you killing me.

For the longest time, Mrs. NNM thought those stickers said “Shit Life” because of the goofy font. She wondered why people put them on their vehicles. It’s better if you read it that way. 

ANY corporate sticker on cars is ridiculous to me. The first thing I do when I bring a new-to-me vehicle home is strip off all of the dealer badges. Why in the world would I give free advertising to someone I just paid tens of thousands of dollars?  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, nnm said:

ANY corporate sticker on cars is ridiculous to me. The first thing I do when I bring a new-to-me vehicle home is strip off all of the dealer badges. Why in the world would I give free advertising to someone I just paid tens of thousands of dollars?

Because:

Sheep Farm GIF by TLC

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, nnm said:

ANY corporate sticker on cars is ridiculous to me.

The "King Ranch" trucks crack me up. Are you a part-owner, slumming while not in your private jet to Buenos Aires for lunch? Or are you a servant, a snooty one, running errands for your King Ranch masters?

Just now, RDCanecutter said:

The "King Ranch" trucks crack me up. Are you a part-owner, slumming while not in your private jet to Buenos Aires for lunch? Or are you a servant, a snooty one, running errands for your King Ranch masters?

I want a "Cool Ranch" truck so I can carry Doritos around.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2