Things you really just don't get...

immortal13

On 8/29/2020 at 10:21 AM, BurntEyes said:

People who choose to remain in shitty locations. I'll specifically reference family who live in Amarillo. It's a shit hole. Yet, they never want to leave. I get it's what they've always know and in part think places like Dallas, Chicago, Houston or Austin are scary or filled with hippies, but... Amarillo... Really? 

Bet I get Slorched.

Different strokes for different folks. If forced to choose I might choose to live in Amarillo over Chicago if the opportunity was there for me to make a living. Better traffic, better weather, and since it's Texas I'm assuming better Mexican food.  Day trips to Colorado and New Mexico. Drawbacks are no pro sports, less cultured, and less opportunities.

But let's not act like Amarillo is Vidor or College Station.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BurntEyes said:

Otherwise, agree, but you're not making day trips to Colorado or anywhere of substantial note in NM, unless you're into off roading. Or 7 hour round trip is a "day trip", which it might be for you.

I'd say at least 8 hours. Depending on how many times New Mexico's finest pulls you over. Santa Fe is 4 hours from Amarillo. Angelfire is 4.5. Taos is 5. I have heard of my cousins driving in the wee morning hours to Angelfire and driving back at the end of the day. It's kind of silly to me, but people do it.

Boulder and Breckenridge are both about 7 hours one way. That's a hefty trip, especially in the snow. 

I didn't major in geography and I'm not from there, so you'd probably know better than me and I'll take your word for it.  Maybe a weekend trip is more accurate? 

I guess in my memories of driving to Colorado Springs, the drive always seemed to go by fairly quick once you were on the other side of Amarillo.

anyhoo,

what I don't get is people with live cameras mounted all over their house.  I'm thinking of the wives thread post where she falls over a chair (let's pretend it wasn't staged).  I can see having a Ring rig, but inside?  do people really do that?  that would drive me insane.  similarly, I refuse to ever have a Dot, or Alexa or any other listening device.  creeps me tfo.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, wd40 said:

anyhoo,

what I don't get is people with live cameras mounted all over their house.  I'm thinking of the wives thread post where she falls over a chair (let's pretend it wasn't staged).  I can see having a Ring rig, but inside?  do people really do that?  that would drive me insane.  similarly, I refuse to ever have a Dot, or Alexa or any other listening device.  creeps me tfo.

Did you type that post on your phone? The device you keep near you 24 hours a day? While you eat, sleep, work, play, make love, have confidential conversations, decide whether or not to buy that new truck?  That listening device?

• Like 3

I participated in my fair share of “suicide” ski trips from Amarillo and Lubbock. Even at 18-23yo I was of the opinion that 1 night in the mountains was required. Only one guy I know was ever down for the depart 3am / home by midnight, 1 day no nights type trip.

FTR - driving from Lubbock to Austin or worse Amarillo to Austin in the dark early Monday morning hours after 2+ days of skiing, and little sleep is exceedingly dumb and no one should do it.

12 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

I participated in my fair share of “suicide” ski trips from Amarillo and Lubbock. Even at 18-23yo I was of the opinion that 1 night in the mountains was required. Only one guy I know was ever down for the depart 3am / home by midnight, 1 day no nights type trip.

When I was a senior in high school we use to do that between Lubbock and Ruidoso almost every Saturday...

Edited by Ignatius

People who choose to remain in shitty locations. I'll specifically reference family who live in Amarillo. It's a shit hole. Yet, they never want to leave. I get it's what they've always know and in part think places like Dallas, Chicago, Houston or Austin are scary or filled with hippies, but... Amarillo... Really? 
Bet I get Slorched.

Some of my wife’s family lives in a shitty town that probably wouldn’t exist anymore if it weren’t in the interstate. Her uncle is a truck driver, aunt hasn’t worked in 20+ years, two kids work a week or two every few months at the Stop & Rob. I’m pretty sure there’s some government assistance involved and all they do is bitch on Facebook about them stoopid liburls or whatever small town drama is going on at the moment. They have absolutely no desire to improve their situation in life.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, luke duke said:

Some of my wife’s family lives in a shitty town that probably wouldn’t exist anymore if it weren’t in the interstate. Her uncle is a truck driver, aunt hasn’t worked in 20+ years, two kids work a week or two every few months at the Stop & Rob. I’m pretty sure there’s some government assistance involved and all they do is bitch on Facebook about them stoopid liburls or whatever small town drama is going on at the moment. They have absolutely no desire to improve their situation in life.

That's unheard of in urban areas...

You mean we weren't supposed to throw the 30 inch tube TV out the 3rd story window of our frat house?

Fuck that shit. Or course you were.

Reminds me of once in HS a buddy of mine drove this old stake bed truck. One day we decided to chain an old washing machine behind it and drag it around town for a while. That went well.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

One day we decided to chain an old washing machine behind it and drag it around town for a while.

I did that in high school with mail carts from the USPS. And shopping carts. Yes we rode in them.

We also set up cones on the highway, smashed lamplights on the sidewalk, threw a glass tabletop off a parking garage (ended up cleaning that one up).

Just all around asshole behavior.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 6:16 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Those are lame as fuck.

So are engagement parties. Do you really need a party for this?

Went to one of those at the beginning of August. However, the couple didn't make a big deal out of it, just wanted people to bring booze, burgers and barbecue as it was a cookout.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I feel like the entire idea of Christmas cards is bizarre. If I care enough to hear from you, I already know what you are up to. If I don't care about you, don't waste a card on me because I'm not wasting one on you. I don't get me started on those Christmas letters where all of your kids are awesome, your husband got another promotion, and you lost 20 pounds. I know your kids are in rehab, your husband is banging the maid and the only reason you lost 20 pounds is because your shitty tit-job had to be removed.

I kind of get you, but they do serve a purpose for some.  For example, we moved back to TX from Knoxville 3 years ago.  Of course we keep up with our absolute closest friends, but there are about 30 familes/casual friends that send us X-mas cards each year.  With the newer thing of making a card out of a family pic, it's kind of cool to see them and their kids grow up each year.

Now those that send Xmas cards with their pets instead.... that's a whole 'nother thing.

My wife and I actually like Christmas card season because we're not on social media so we have no way to keep up with kids.  She maintains an excel spreadsheet that lists our friends and families names of children.  That way, when we talk to them next, we can ask "And how are (boy name)/(girl name)/(Boy name).  Otherwise, we'd have no way to know and would just have to listen to one person after another bitch about how we don't know their kids' names.  It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.  I've texted her 100 times over the years asking, "Hey, I'm going to meet so-and-so...can you remind me of their kids' names again?"  And she goes to the excel list. 

But yeah, the family newsletters are awkward.  If I remotely cared about anything going on in your life (Other than your health)...I probably would have inquired over the last 363 days.  But I don't, so I didn't.  my bowel movements are more interesting than you winning your NASCAR fantasy league this year.  

Has anyone said anything about rental car companies tethering together with titanium wire two sets of keys to the rental car? I want two separate keys in case I misplace one; and I don't want them attached in a big wad that I can't fit in my pocket. I get why they do it. But I would rather they just lock the second key up and not make it available to me. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 8.28.47 AM.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, squib said:

Has anyone said anything about rental car companies tethering together with titanium wire two sets of keys to the rental car? I want two separate keys in case I misplace one; and I don't want them attached in a big wad that I can't fit in my pocket. I get why they do it. But I would rather they just lock the second key up and not make it available to me. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 8.28.47 AM.png

and if you DO manage to lose the damn keys, they charge you for TWO lost keys @$3-400 each

Edited by AUS-97HORN

Reason #37 to not fuss with traditional rental car services anymore.  Try Silvercar.  All you need is a smartphone to operate the car.  you can keep the fob buried in the car the whole time with the right cheat-code.  

I have a buddy who has to travel all over the northeast for work and the two fobs tied off on that metallic ring made him insane.  So whenever he gets that setup, he takes a small multi-tool out of his checked bag, cuts the metallic wire and just keeps the one key on him and the other in his hotel room or carry-on bag.  Vast majority of the time, the agent feels bad that it frayed and broke on him and even apologizes.    Every now and again, he'll get a $10 or $25 replacement charge, but it's worth avoiding the annoyance factor.  

2 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Went to one of those at the beginning of August. However, the couple didn't make a big deal out of it, just wanted people to bring booze, burgers and barbecue as it was a cookout.

My best friend had one back in 2014. A year before his wedding. I had to go since I was going to be in the wedding. 

33 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

If you're in the wedding, that's the only time when it's acceptable. 

I dated a girl a couple of years ago who had a  cousin that was engaged. The family had 3 separate engagement parties for them. One was catered at her parent's house complete with bartenders, servers, a celloist and piano player,  vallet parking. Pretty sure that engagement party was nicer than the wedding.

12 minutes ago, DallasHorn26 said:

I dated a girl a couple of years ago who had a  cousin that was engaged. The family had 3 separate engagement parties for them. One was catered at her parent's house complete with bartenders, servers, a celloist and piano player,  vallet parking. Pretty sure that engagement party was nicer than the wedding.

If people want to piss their money away and give me free booze/food, who am I to judge?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2020 at 2:58 PM, nnm said:

Did you type that post on your phone? The device you keep near you 24 hours a day? While you eat, sleep, work, play, make love, have confidential conversations, decide whether or not to buy that new truck?  That listening device?

I love those people who refuse to “be monitored” while using an iPhone to post on the internet or social media like Facebook 

On 9/1/2020 at 3:11 PM, Steamboat1874 said:

Formula One

Yes the cars are amazing.

The "races" are nothing more than a parade with very little "overtaking" as they call it. No drama whatsoever.

Sucks.

They do race.......on Saturday, against the clock.

On Sunday it's a contest of which teams can change tires fastest and who can avoid the most crashes.

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

On Sunday it's a contest of which teams can change tires fastest and who can avoid the most crashes.

And because of the disparity in racing budgets, the only teams which have any kind of realistic chance of winning are Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull.   Everyone else is just taking up space. 

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Well that is part of racing but not the only part.

The best part of racing is the part where cars are all bunched up and passing each other.

spacer.png

On 9/1/2020 at 8:43 AM, Lobo said:

Reason #37 to not fuss with traditional rental car services anymore.  Try Silvercar.  All you need is a smartphone to operate the car.  you can keep the fob buried in the car the whole time with the right cheat-code.  

I have a buddy who has to travel all over the northeast for work and the two fobs tied off on that metallic ring made him insane.  So whenever he gets that setup, he takes a small multi-tool out of his checked bag, cuts the metallic wire and just keeps the one key on him and the other in his hotel room or carry-on bag.  Vast majority of the time, the agent feels bad that it frayed and broke on him and even apologizes.    Every now and again, he'll get a $10 or $25 replacement charge, but it's worth avoiding the annoyance factor.  

When I was younger, I uses hertz frequently. They let you walk right up and take your car then check out at the gate. I would complain that the car smelled like weed and there was tiny bits of ash that I wanted to make sure I wasn’t charged for. They would apologize and then make a note. Now, I was free to smoke weed in the car for my entire trip. Few thing in my life have worked 100% of the time like tha did. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Well that is part of racing but not the only part.

The best part of racing is the part where cars are all bunched up and passing each other.

spacer.png

Actually I think the pits, and the crash garage are the best parts.  Got to work NASCAR hospitality houses for a friend in the plumbing supply business. We got pass access to the entire in field including the drivers trailers for the whole weekend.   The races bored the shit out of me unless they were actually running right past you.

My buds co. were sponsoring the Petty racing team so we got to meet the King (RichardPetty of course), and hang with the crews, and drivers all weekend.   The drivers were all very cool, low key guys, very approachable.  

We were at the Vegas race, and there was a rain delay. We were hanging around the pit area, and the Petty team was next to the Earnhardt team. The Earnhardt pit captain, sitting up in his lifeguard chair was passing time talking with us, then all of a sudden he gets all excited, and motions us to look down in the Petty pit area.  Richard Petty had just walked in, and the Earnhardt team guys says (juuuust above a whisper)  to us...  "Look .......... it's the King !!!!".   He was still like a fan in Richard Pettys presence.

The absolute funniest place to be was at the crash garage where team members worked franticly to get cars back into a race if they were in fender bender accidents.  The combinations yelling, pneumatic tools, hammers and sledges smacking sheetmetal, and the creative use of cuss words was noteworthy.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lobo said:

That's a good life hack if you're a weed smoker.  I wonder what other drugs we can get it to work for?  

I wasn’t driving around blowing it up or anything, but ‘twas nice to have a safe spot to toke before bed since the hotels I was allotted rarely had balconies

• Hook 'Em 1