Things you really just don't get...

immortal13

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I used to always tell them that my car had blood stains in the trunk

"Uh yeah, is the Hertz manager?  Yeah...I just did self check-out.  Car runs awesome but there's a stench of weed, blood-stains in the trunk, credit-card sized indentions on the console with white powder all over, 2 wine corks, a condom rapper, and an empty baggie that I hope was used for vitamins...all strewn about the cabin.  Just wanted to let y'all know.  And the license plate holder is cracked."  

2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Dude..  our lives have the oddest fucking crossovers. Grande Mart. I lived at the corner of 28th and Nueces for a very long time. 

The $3 6 packs of Pearl and 2 for $5 bbq chop beef sammichs were a staple of life. 

Back on topic, Sunday afternoon on a nice day, at a outdoor bar with a dog I get. Kinda like going out, with your dog. 

On racing, I've always much preferred MotoGP or any type of motorcycle racing over cars. All through the field through out the race there tends to be a lot more passing action. With the exception of the lead, when Marco is running at COTA.  

When my brother got married in 1958, their first place was the old duplex at 2826 Rio Grande. There are two shops there now, if Google Streetview is up to date.

Bill Miller’s had decent chopped bbq sammiches 10/$1.

Edited by Armybrat

3 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Dude..  our lives have the oddest fucking crossovers. Grande Mart. I lived at the corner of 28th and Nueces for a very long time. 

The $3 6 packs of Pearl and 2 for $5 bbq chop beef sammichs were a staple of life. 

Back on topic, Sunday afternoon on a nice day, at a outdoor bar with a dog I get. Kinda like going out, with your dog. 

On racing, I've always much preferred MotoGP or any type of motorcycle racing over cars. All through the field through out the race there tends to be a lot more passing action. With the exception of the lead, when Marco is running at COTA.  

They had a deal that was something like a large fountain drink and hot dog for either 99 or $1.99.  Or maybe the drink and hot dogs were .99 cents apiece.  Either way, I tore that up every weekend.  Also hit up the .99 cent Whopper down the street and, of course, Magic Wok.

Magic Mother fuckin' Wok. Seems like for $5 you could get a meal, an egg roll and a fucking egg drop soup. For like $2 more you could add fried rice.
Yep, we've crossed paths. 
Did you hang out by the two struggling trees at 28th and Rio Grande. I fucking swear I recall some weirdo claiming he was "walking his cat" sometime in mid 90s. Though, my recollections aren't particularly sharp.

Dude, it was like $3.72 for a plate and a drink. That was the magic of magic wok.
  • Hook 'Em 1

ahh yes, Magic wok.  back when you wrote them a check they made you put your SSN on the fucking check itself in case it bounced.   come to think of it, all of my clases professors posted our final grades on their door by SSN #.   HTF did we think that was smart?

my go to deals were the $1.79 6 pack of Keystone tall boys at the 7-11 on 26th & Guad, & the .99c Whopper on 27th.   lived at 26th & Nueces.   walked to BK, got the whopper, walked to the 7-11, got the sixer,  and got home in less than 5 mins and $3.01

• Hook 'Em 1

@BurntEyesNope.  Never walked the damn thing.  

Speaking of social security numbers and Pronto's, I'm pretty sure everyone I knew had bounced a check there at some point.  I believe those that I lived with were also blackballed from buying kegs.  I recall them trying to get me to use my ID to order some kegs for a party.  I'm trying to remember why.  Maybe they didn't return the earlier ones or, perhaps, only paid a deposit.  I"m not sure why a store would just accept a deposit over full payment, but perhaps I'm misremembering. 

one time magic wok was backed up and asked if we could deliver for them while picking our own stuff up.  so we did.  or maybe that was pizza classics.  one of the two. 

Anybody remember the short lived Papi’s Pizza (spelling might be wrong). $5 one topping large. I might have ate 50 of them the summer of 1995.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Was that the one over by the bank? Or was that pizza classic. Either way, I once bounced a check, by sub $.09 for a pizza there and it ended up costing me $30/50. That was a swift kick to the nuts.

It was on Guadalupe across from the Eckerd’s more or less.

Dude?!? What part of "For like $5 you could get a plate AND egg drop soup..' confused you asshole.'.
Bro, do you even soup?

Dude, $3.72 and $5 is pretty different for a college kid. One is enough for stir fried cat, an eggroll, rice and a drink. The other (back then) was a number 1 with cheese and jalapeños with fries and a Dr Pepper.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Back to things you don’t get:

Maybe we did this one already, but littering. I truly do not understand it. My wife and I were at Lake Travis on Friday and there were quite a few cans and bottles on the shore. We found a bag (litter) and filled it with as many cans and bottles as we could. Why do people do that. I already have taught my daughters that littering is absolutely not acceptable.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

@Patricio Swayze completely agree.   I'll take it a step further.  Took my boys fishing at a creek in Rowlett (east of Dallas).  You park and have to walk into the forest to get to the spot.  The location of this spot means that the only people that make it to this spot are those that are fishing.  One can't blame cars, passerbys, etc... It's an effing mess. So, folks that love the outdoors, fishing, etc... are the exact same ones trashing the place with cans, fast food containers, etc... WTF?

@BurntEyes I don't recall Papi's, but I sure as hell ate Gumby's each Sunday night at Jester.  If you were on the full meal plan, Sunday nights weren't covered.  IIRC, there was always a $3.99 Gumby's special at the back of the pages of The Daily Texan.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

@Patricio Swayze completely agree.   I'll take it a step further.  Took my boys fishing at a creek in Rowlett (east of Dallas).  You park and have to walk into the forest to get to the spot.  The location of this spot means that the only people that make it to this spot are those that are fishing.  One can't blame cars, passerbys, etc... It's an effing mess. So, folks that love the outdoors, fishing, etc... are the exact same ones trashing the place with cans, fast food containers, etc... WTF?

@BurntEyes I don't recall Papi's, but I sure as hell ate Gumby's each Sunday night at Jester.  If you were on the full meal plan, Sunday nights weren't covered.  IIRC, there was always a $3.99 Gumby's special at the back of the pages of The Daily Texan.

As someone who inhabits various urban trails around D-FW, yeah, it's gross.

But, a lot of that flotsam and jetsam is washed their when the floods come, rather than being initially deposited there by shitheads.

Nevertheless, some shithead deposited it upstream somewhere.

Slightly OT, but once after some rains, I just had to ride and so chose the paved trails north of Harry Moss Park, skirting Royal Oaks CC.  Many sections of the concrete path had been washed over by floodwaters that left silty mud that could cause a wipeout with a slight, but sudden steering correction.  Stuff was slickernowlshit and sometimes very hard to see until you were in it. There were also shiners and other minnows stranded on the paths.

But the wildest thing was a section of the Royal Oaks "wrought iron" fence that had caught a bunch of flood-driven debris.  Between the force of the water acting on the trapped brush and sticks, and the washout of the fence posts by the floodwaters, the fence was pushed over to a 45 degree angle with the ground.  And a couple of bluegill had got caught in the brushpile and fell out on the path and died.  There wasn't a creek for several hundred yards in any direction.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

As someone who inhabits various urban trails around D-FW, yeah, it's gross.

But, a lot of that flotsam and jetsam is washed their when the floods come, rather than being initially deposited there by shitheads.

Nevertheless, some shithead deposited it upstream somewhere.

Slightly OT, but once after some rains, I just had to ride and so chose the paved trails north of Harry Moss Park, skirting Royal Oaks CC.  Many sections of the concrete path had been washed over by floodwaters that left silty mud that could cause a wipeout with a slight, but sudden steering correction.  Stuff was slickernowlshit and sometimes very hard to see until you were in it. There were also shiners and other minnows stranded on the paths.

But the wildest thing was a section of the Royal Oaks "wrought iron" fence that had caught a bunch of flood-driven debris.  Between the force of the water acting on the trapped brush and sticks, and the washout of the fence posts by the floodwaters, the fence was pushed over to a 45 degree angle with the ground.  And a couple of bluegill had got caught in the brushpile and fell out on the path and died.  There wasn't a creek for several hundred yards in any direction.

You know I'm talking about RCP.  And, yes, there are spots where floodwaters have washed things ashore.  I'm speaking specifically of a fishing spot not affected by flooding.  The area just to the south of the 66 bridge.  There's a paved area with water that flows over it in this spot.  The trail takes you near the spot I'm referencing.  Anyway, the trash left there is all from people that have fished.  It's pathetic that someone, that is specifically using nature for their own needs, would just leave trash on the bank.  I mean, I hate it, but get it that there will always be litter because of lazy-assed people.  I don't, however, understand how someone can go fishing and leave litter in the same spot.

59 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Maybe we did this one already, but littering. I truly do not understand it. My wife and I were at Lake Travis on Friday and there were quite a few cans and bottles on the shore. We found a bag (litter) and filled it with as many cans and bottles as we could. Why do people do that. I already have taught my daughters that littering is absolutely not acceptable.

Add chucking cigarette butts out of your car window.

[mention=98]Patricio Swayze[/mention] completely agree.   I'll take it a step further.  Took my boys fishing at a creek in Rowlett (east of Dallas).  You park and have to walk into the forest to get to the spot.  The location of this spot means that the only people that make it to this spot are those that are fishing.  One can't blame cars, passerbys, etc... It's an effing mess. So, folks that love the outdoors, fishing, etc... are the exact same ones trashing the place with cans, fast food containers, etc... WTF?

[mention=1705]BurntEyes[/mention] I don't recall Papi's, but I sure as hell ate Gumby's each Sunday night at Jester.  If you were on the full meal plan, Sunday nights weren't covered.  IIRC, there was always a $3.99 Gumby's special at the back of the pages of The Daily Texan.

gumby's was 472-fast if I recall. Good times

On 9/20/2020 at 8:27 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

To be fair, they might have resulted from recently sunken watercraft...

but yeah, fuck litterbugs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...