Things you really just don't get...

immortal13

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I hate listening to coach/owner/GM interviews.  Don't get me wrong.  I get the importance of, say, a press conference.  I'm speaking mainly to sports radio.  I'd prefer the, "Here's a couple of things the coach said to me that are important" over 20 mins of "blah, blah, blah.  We need to play better.  I have confidence in the QB.  The other team is really good.  Etc..."  
Absolutely. There are a few coaches who can provide some entertaining sound bites but 99% of them are boring as fuck. They don't divulge any real information. Any time on sports talk radio when they interview or talk to a coach, immediate checkout.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/8/2021 at 8:05 PM, Doze said:

Omg, I had a male employee that was into Disney.  His wife (they had no kids) was into it too.  They even had a timeshare at Disney world & every single vacay was there with NO kids.   There is obviously some sort of mental disorder.  I’m pretty open minded , but it’s fckg creepy as hell to see it in person.  Don’t leave your kid alone with these people.

There are actual disneyland "gangs".  fucking dork losers.  https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/02/12/585192854/lawsuit-alleges-mafia-like-tactics-aimed-at-a-disneyland-social-club

On 7/9/2021 at 7:00 AM, After irth said:

I know a couple who are both obsessed with Disney.  Always quoting the movies like we understand the references.  She is a teacher, but (like most chicks) has a side-gig as a travel agent, but she does Disney trips only.  He is obsessed with Frank Sinatra, Al Capone, and Winnie-The-Pooh.  He has a tattoo of Baloo The Bear (from Jungle Book) and constantly refers to himself as "Papa Bear".  

We're stuck for a week at the Gaylord in Orlando this Fall for a meeting.  My wife wants to go in 2 days early so we can hit Epcot and do some Food & Wine Festival stuff.  These guys get all offended that we didn't go through them to book our "Disney vacation".  

First of all, it ain't a Disney-fucking-vacation.  I'm in Orlando under protest (hate that town).  And I'm grudgingly going to Epcot because I'm a good husband.  So please excuse me because I didn't consult with your "agency" for a two-day pass.  Weirdos...

See above

On 7/11/2021 at 7:47 PM, GringoSalado said:

On 7/20/2021 at 4:41 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Well.... he's dead so ya' can't ask him.  Seriously, if he wanted to be a normal musician he'd have been mainstream successful beyond belief IMO (not that that's the true mark of success).  An incredible musical talent, and smart as a mother fucker.

Ukes are so great.  

On 7/31/2021 at 3:59 PM, mininghorn88 said:

Veterans, especially combat vets, get a pass.

I never served.  But I give the same respect to my GF's son (USAF guy who never got within 1000 miles of a combat zone) that I do to my own son, an infantryman with 2 nasty combat tours under his belt.  Everybody's got a job to do.  If you signed up for that job, whatever it may be, you've got my respect.  Bumbersticker the fuck out of your ride, as far as I'm concerned. 

• Hook 'Em 4

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

Speaking of this.  There was a player for the Braves last night wearing a pearl necklace.  WTF?!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/mlb/news/joc-pederson-pearl-necklace-mystery-braves/11dc7rgv35cge1qgql93giqlkg

Why Joc Pederson wears a pearl necklace during Braves games: 'It's a mystery for everyone

A pearl necklace can be an ideal accessory for many formal occasions. A fancy night out. A wedding. A baseball game?

For Braves outfielder Joc Pederson, he'll take the latter. Pederson has been spotted wearing a pearl necklace during games this postseason, and he's been having success while wearing it. On Monday, he collected his third hit in as many pinch-hit at-bats this postseason and his second home run.

etc., etc.

I'm in construction,  commercial,  big buildings,  currently a forman. Had a guy about an hour ago text me that he's leaving, but will be back tomorrow.  He's upset because I was.mean to him this morning.  He's really going to be upset tomorrow when I tell him to get his tools and gtfo. This guy has been in and out of prison his whole life and he can't handle a mean (sometimes)  boss? I'm starting to wonder if they don't pamper our prisoner's.  

4 hours ago, Dewey said:

I'm in construction,  commercial,  big buildings,  currently a forman. Had a guy about an hour ago text me that he's leaving, but will be back tomorrow.  He's upset because I was.mean to him this morning.  He's really going to be upset tomorrow when I tell him to get his tools and gtfo. This guy has been in and out of prison his whole life and he can't handle a mean (sometimes)  boss? I'm starting to wonder if they don't pamper our prisoner's.  

They probably are pampering our prisoner’s behinds. That’s why they’re soft. 

• 4 weeks later...

People that go shopping on black Friday. Like, what do you really need that badly? 

I for one hate black Friday. It's a contradiction to Thanksgiving. On Thanksgiving we're taught to be thankful for what we have and count our blessings, then less than 24 hours later mother fuckers are killing each other over a tv. I don't understand that shit. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

People that go shopping on black Friday. Like, what do you really need that badly? 

I for one hate black Friday. It's a contradiction to Thanksgiving. On Thanksgiving we're taught to be thankful for what we have and count our blessings, then less than 24 hours later mother fuckers are killing each other over a tv. I don't understand that shit. 

Uhh.. the Thanksgiving meal gives you the needed energy to take on a Black Friday assault..... d'uuuuuuh....

5 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

I miss it.  I miss the anticipation of getting that once in a lifetime deal, I miss the family bonding while we strategize our plan to nab such deals, the camaraderie with other shoppers and the competition of beating to electronics.  I miss that rush I got when my elbow(s) crushed the jaw of an 86 yo granny as she stood in my way of a flatscreen of a brand I never heard of.  Yes…. I miss Black Friday shopping.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Underdog said:

I miss it.  I miss the anticipation of getting that once in a lifetime deal, I miss the family bonding while we strategize our plan to nab such deals, the camaraderie with other shoppers and the competition of beating to electronics.  I miss that rush I got when my elbow(s) crushed the jaw of an 86 yo granny as she stood in my way of a flatscreen of a brand I never heard of.  Yes…. I miss Black Friday shopping.  

See if you add a stun gun to the arsenal you pick up all those missed deals.

14 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Feast after the fast?

Two things that I brought up on the old site that I still don’t get:

Men, who aren’t pimps, wearing pinky rings.

Westerners that grew up using forks and knives insisting on using chop sticks. I give the exception to sushi, where chop sticks actually work better. But for a bowl of noodles, no. One of my roommates in college was Chinese. He said his grandmother would eat pizza with chop sticks. That makes sense because all her life she ate food with chop sticks.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

No shit.  More than a wedding band and a watch is pretty suspect in my book.

Worked with a guy way back who (allegedly) lost his ring finger checking a load of hay (ring got stuck somewhere as/when he jumped down) or something. 

I don't even wear a watch. Next time you're wondering what time it is, make a good effort to guess before you check (your phone, duh).

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/25/2021 at 1:59 PM, Scheiss Meister said:

Assholes who speed up to 70 to get on the freeway in front of you, then slam their brakes and roll 55 in a 70 from there.  Why?

Because DPS has someone pulled over in the opposite lanes.

Might get em...

9 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

Worked with a guy way back who (allegedly) lost his ring finger checking a load of hay (ring got stuck somewhere as/when he jumped down) or something. 

I don't even wear a watch. Next time you're wondering what time it is, make a good effort to guess before you check (your phone, duh).

Same here on the loss of a finger due to wedding band.  I ditched the watch 15+ years ago when smart phones became a thing.

Westerners that grew up using forks and knives insisting on using chop sticks. I give the exception to sushi, where chop sticks actually work better. But for a bowl of noodles, no. One of my roommates in college was Chinese. He said his grandmother would eat pizza with chop sticks. That makes sense because all her life she ate food with chop sticks.

Ugh with the chopsticks. When I was dating my husband he thought he was impressive when he used them. I thought it was fucking stupid.
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2021 at 8:13 AM, Longboard Horn said:

Makes me weep for humanity watching Black Friday videos of idiots busting down doors and trampling people.

On 11/25/2021 at 1:43 PM, Basil said:

People who go on cruises. Look at those floating cattle pens.

This.  I'd rather take an ass whippin' than go on a cruise.  Some have told me that the smaller lines are actually cool.  I don't think I will find out.  I like to do my own thing.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 6:18 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

Same here on the loss of a finger due to wedding band.  I ditched the watch 15+ years ago when smart phones became a thing.

I never wore my wedding ring regularly. When I got married, the place I worked didn't allow any jewelry to be worn during work. Even after I left that job I didn't wear it.

When My dad passed away, the nursing home couldn't find his band so I put mine on his hand and buried it with him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Agreed on pinky rings.

I use chopsticks because I enjoy eating with them. My family all have their own sets at the house.

On 11/30/2021 at 9:54 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I brought up the chopsticks thing too somewhere on this site or the old one and got pushback from a poster or two that I probably wasn't using them right.

Wrong.  Silverware is just more efficient and enjoyable to eat with.  Food doesn't taste any different or better with chopsticks.  I used to be self conscious about using silverware at an Asian place, but I finally quit giving a shit.  If I'm at an Asian restaurant and they only set out chopsticks, I'm sending the waitress back to bring me a fork.

On 12/1/2021 at 6:06 PM, GringoSalado said:

The watch doesn't really serve a specific purpose anymore with always having a phone on me, but there's just something I like about it since I've always worn one.  It's just a comfort thing and I like the way it looks.  Luckily I don't work for big hay.

Edited by Tom
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1