Things you really just don't get...

immortal13

One of my coworkers gave her two-week notice on Monday.

She started in 2012, took 3 years off to be a mom, but maintained a lot of good will that she built along the way. She's very close to my boss, and he was completely caught by surprise. He's pretty pissed off right now.

She hasn't been in the office since Monday afternoon, and won't return calls. I somehow doubt she'll show back up. Talk about burning every bridge on the way out. 

• Haha 2

Noodle dishes are easier to eat with chopsticks, IMO.

One thing about chopsticks is that the disposable bamboo ones are far superior to and easier to use than the nicer reusable versions. The texture of the grain helps grab the food. The worst version was at a Korean place on Lamar that gave you stainless steel flat chopsticks to use. Your hand was cramping and crippled after about 10 minutes of futile effort.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Superhero said:

She started in 2012, took 3 years off to be a mom, but maintained a lot of good will that she built along the way. She's very close to my boss, and he was completely caught by surprise. He's pretty pissed off right now.

She hasn't been in the office since Monday afternoon, and won't return calls. I somehow doubt she'll show back up. Talk about burning every bridge on the way out. 

The Lincoln Riley thread is over there——>

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Superhero said:

Isn't a two week notice, where you say in two weeks I am leaving?   Not required in today's world, but if she really said she was giving 2 weeks notice versus "I quit", she should not disappear.

45 minutes ago, ABSR said:

Isn't a two week notice, where you say in two weeks I am leaving?   Not required in today's world, but if she really said she was giving 2 weeks notice versus "I quit", she should not disappear.

It’s expected most places I’ve been.

In fact my HR team won’t let us give recommendations anymore (positive or negative) but we can give out 3 pieces of information.

Did they work here / what was their title?

Are they eligible for re-hire? (yes for anyone who wasn’t fired or on a PIP when they left, or anyone who doesn’t return their computers/equipment).

Did they give their two weeks notice? (For anyone who gives notice but doesn’t come in I answer No)

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Noodle dishes are easier to eat with chopsticks, IMO.

One thing about chopsticks is that the disposable bamboo ones are far superior to and easier to use than the nicer reusable versions. The texture of the grain helps grab the food. The worst version was at a Korean place on Lamar that gave you stainless steel flat chopsticks to use. Your hand was cramping and crippled after about 10 minutes of futile effort.

44 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

In fact my HR team won’t let us give recommendations anymore (positive or negative) but we can give out 3 pieces of information.

Are they eligible for re-hire? (yes for anyone who wasn’t fired or on a PIP when they left, or anyone who doesn’t return their computers/equipment).

Did they give their two weeks notice? (For anyone who gives notice but doesn’t come in I answer No)

I've never heard of anyone asking if someone gave notice. Maybe that's common in your industry.

My company's policy is that no one is eligible for re-hire.  We had an issue years ago, when employees would hop between us and peer companies constantly just to keep pushing their salary up. So, our company instituted a rule that you better really want to leave because no one is eligible to come back.  

I've never heard of anyone asking if someone gave notice. Maybe that's common in your industry.
My company's policy is that no one is eligible for re-hire.  We had an issue years ago, when employees would hop between us and peer companies constantly just to keep pushing their salary up. So, our company instituted a rule that you better really want to leave because no one is eligible to come back.  

Interesting. In O&G people constantly jump from company to company. Hell, I worked 10 years at one EPC in 3 different stints.
  • Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 1:59 PM, Scheiss Meister said:

Assholes who speed up to 70 to get on the freeway in front of you, then slam their brakes and roll 55 in a 70 from there.  Why?

You know how I know you're lying? Because there's literally only one person on this planet who speeds up to 70 or more to enter the highway. That person is me. 

Every other driver on Earth does it wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2021 at 2:47 PM, TKthunder2 said:

for question B. our HR asks, "Would you hire them again?"

LOLz.  Most of the time, it's a "Fuck no."

On 12/8/2021 at 10:20 PM, Superhero said:

Had a teacher at my old school do something similar.  Her husband got a job offer in Michigan.  She had 50 or so personal days, so she ended up working something like 50% of the time during the fall.  Christmas break comes, and her husband loses his job.  She then decided to stay.  Thing is, the principal had moved on.  It got ugly because the teacher was a union rep and pointed out that she didn't do anything "illegal".  Principal was, rightfully, pissed because it screwed over the kids in having a sub for a quarter of their school year.

14 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Had a teacher at my old school do something similar.  Her husband got a job offer in Michigan.  She had 50 or so personal days, so she ended up working something like 50% of the time during the fall.  Christmas break comes, and her husband loses his job.  She then decided to stay.  Thing is, the principal had moved on.  It got ugly because the teacher was a union rep and pointed out that she didn't do anything "illegal".  Principal was, rightfully, pissed because it screwed over the kids in having a sub for a quarter of their school year.

My dad is finally retiring at the end of this year and he has a shit ton of days.  His local “teacher’s advocate” (I think that’s the word) told him to take them because he’s earned them and the school/district/state won’t cash him out.  Basically he’s taking a 4 day weekend whenever possible and skipping any teacher workshop/in service days (to be nice). I get that it sucks for the principal/school/students but they setup a system where they discourage you to take days off and offer no cash out option when you don’t.  Blaming the teacher is stupid.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

My dad is finally retiring at the end of this year and he has a shit ton of days.  His local “teacher’s advocate” (I think that’s the word) told him to take them because he’s earned them and the school/district/state won’t cash him out.  Basically he’s taking a 4 day weekend whenever possible and skipping any teacher workshop/in service days (to be nice). I get that it sucks for the principal/school/students but they setup a system where they discourage you to take days off and offer no cash out option when you don’t.  Blaming the teacher is stupid.

The first principal I had when I moved back to DFW did the same.  The system is regarded.  When I left TN, I left about 40 days of personal/sick time.  I very rarely miss school - even last year during covid. 

As one who feels like I get an inordinate number of days off compared to most, it didn't bother me to "lose" them.  That being said, your father is doing the right thing.

7 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

In KY not only can you cash out, but the cash out counts as part of your 5 year salary average that's used to calculate your retirement pay. Pretty sweet benefit for otherwise crappy pay.

Edited by KYHorn

Just accepted an offer from an indirect competitor of the company I'm currently working for, so close to home and all.

I won't give my notice to my current employer until I get my final commission check from 2021, b/c my comp plan states I have to be employed to receive the commission.  The day after the commission hits my checking account, I'll give my two weeks notice.  But I'll be locked out of our systems w/in minutes.  There are no two week notices for sales in enterprise software. 

But if they did ask me to stay two weeks, I would.  No chance, though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just accepted an offer from an indirect competitor of the company I'm currently working for, so close to home and all.
I won't give my notice to my current employer until I get my final commission check from 2021, b/c my comp plan states I have to be employed to receive the commission.  The day after the commission hits my checking account, I'll give my two weeks notice.  But I'll be locked out of our systems w/in minutes.  There are no two week notices for sales in enterprise software. 

Take all your vacation, then quit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...