Things you really just don't get...

immortal13

34 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Road rage. Now i know people do some dumb shit out there, but road ragers are always the worst drivers. I'll never understand the inability to just put some music on and cruise.

The root cause of road rage, in my experience and opinion, is 80-90% a time management issue. People don't manage their time and thus find themselves in a position where the locus of control is external. They feel helpless and frustrated-- at themselves, the road workers, the slow cars-- as well as fear of the consequences for being late (e.g. social shame, professional/work issues, etc.) and it leads to emotional decisions being made.

I would think that most issues people have with road rage could be diminished if they'd bake in more time than they think they need to get from Point A to Point B. You'll never get the numbers down to zero due to some people are just insane or have egos and issues, but that's my take.

Edited by Rougarou
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 1

34 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Road rage. Now i know people do some dumb shit out there, but road ragers are always the worst drivers. I'll never understand the inability to just put some music on and cruise.

You must be a bad and clueless driver.   Get out of the left lane, jackelope!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Saw a great one yesterday. Someone was driving slow in the left lane and it pissed some lady off so she darted around 3 lanes, weaving in and out of traffic, just to get in front of this driver and brake check them. Yeah, it pissed me off that someone was driving slow in the left lane, but not enough to risk everyone's life. Stupid cunt.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

The root cause of road rage, in my experience and opinion, is 80-90% a time management issue.

I had family who built their lives around constant trips to get one thing they'd forgotten. They'd always say "It'll just take 5 minutes."

No. Dragging your ass out of the bathroom to go to the car then back inside because you forgot something then back to the car again takes 5 minutes. Driving from your house to wherever you are going in this mind-numbingly sprawling Burb takes 30. Then you will pitch a fit in some store, that takes time, then I guess you want to come home at some point.

They'd try to send me on moronic errands when I'd visit. I'd be "Sure, I'll be back in an hour." Blank stares. "But we're out of catsup." "I don't like catsup." More blank stares.

tldr: and that young man was Albert Einstein.

Edited by RDCanecutter
  • Like 1

Just now, RDCanecutter said:

I had family who built their lives around constant trips to get one thing they'd forgotten. They's always say "It'll just take 5 minutes."

No. Dragging your ass out of the bathroom to go to the car then back inside because you forgot something then back to the car again takes 5 minutes. Driving from your house to wherever you are going in this mind-numbingly sprawling Burb takes 30. Then you will pitch a fit in some store, that takes time, then I guess you want to come home at some point.

They'd try to send me on moronic errands when I'd visit. I'd be "Sure, I'll be back in an hour." Blank stares. "But we're out of catsup." "I don't like catsup." More blank stares.

tldr: and that young man was Albert Einstein.

Can I write your biography? Serious question; PM if yes.

47 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

The root cause of road rage, in my experience and opinion, is 80-90% a time management issue. People don't manage their time and thus find themselves in a position where the locus of control is external. They feel helpless and frustrated-- at themselves, the road workers, the slow cars-- as well as fear of the consequences for being late (e.g. social shame, professional/work issues, etc.) and it leads to emotional decisions being made.

I would think that most issues people have with road rage could be diminished if they'd bake in more time than they think they need to get from Point A to Point B. You'll never get the numbers down to zero due to some people are just insane or have egos and issues, but that's my take.

I used to be a speed demon in HD and the thing that made me stop and chill was a simple lesson in my HS physics class. 

the question started with “how fast above the speed limit would you have to drive to Austin to save 10 min” then went on about centrifugal forces an Co of friction etc. The fist part of the answer answer was 130mph- the entire way.

just that fact blew my mind since it basically meant speeding of any kind was a waste of time. It would be much easier to just leave 10min earlier.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Doc Reeves said:

I used to be a speed demon in HD and the thing that made me stop and chill was a simple lesson in my HS physics class. 

the question started with “how fast above the speed limit would you have to drive to Austin to save 10 min” then went on about centrifugal forces an Co of friction etc. The fist part of the answer answer was 130mph- the entire way.

just that fact blew my mind since it basically meant speeding of any kind was a waste of time. It would be much easier to just leave 10min earlier.

You lost me at "centrifugal forces and co of friction."  See, that's the part that I tune out.  

3 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

The thing that really grinds my gears is that Apple Maps/Navigation has it down to such a science, that (guilty!) even when you do 85-90-100 mph on a tollway or something to try and shave time, you can only really get 2 or 3, maybe 5 minutes at an extreme, of time savings. So when you see you type your end destination and see the ETA time on the iPhone and it's late, it's a shot in the gut.

Edited by Rougarou

I don't get plodding along next to each other like a herd of sheep with nowhere to be.

I prefer to drive a little faster than the flow to keep my blindspots clear and stay the fuck away from all the idiots talking on their phones, putting on makeup, stuffing their faces with ding-dongs and dorritos, or just generally having their heads up their asses.  so, >90% of my fellow drivers at any given moment.  it's safety thing, not a time thing.  

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, wd40 said:

I don't get plodding along next to each other like a herd of sheep with nowhere to be.

I prefer to drive a little faster than the flow to keep my blindspots clear and stay the fuck away from all the idiots talking on their phones, putting on makeup, stuffing their faces with ding-dongs and dorritos, or just generally having their heads up their asses.  so, >90% of my fellow drivers at any given moment.  it's safety thing, not a time thing.  

I've never tried these.  Do the come in Kool Wranch?

BTW,  if you're trying to stay away from the idiots it will never happen.  You're probably an idiot magnet like me.

What was the show (was not SNL, but have been "Fridays" or something like that back in the 80's).  And the guy asks the car salesman,

"What does this car do 0-60 in?"

And the salesman smiles and confidently replies, 

"Yes."  

May have been a Citroen. 

5 minutes ago, deadshank said:

I've never tried these.  Do the come in Kool Wranch?

BTW,  if you're trying to stay away from the idiots it will never happen.  You're probably an idiot magnet like me.

I roll the shit out of my R's when speaking the spanish.  sorry for the phonetic fuckup.

it's a fluid situation out there, to be sure.  if some idiot comes up behind me to park next to me, I'll dump a bunch of speed quickly to let them go, then resume my speed.  it's funny to see their reaction, sometimes.  they flip out being all alone out front.

4 minutes ago, wd40 said:

I roll the shit out of my R's when speaking the spanish.  sorry for the phonetic fuckup.

it's a fluid situation out there, to be sure.  if some idiot comes up behind me to park next to me, I'll dump a bunch of speed quickly to let them go, then resume my speed.  it's funny to see their reaction, sometimes.  they flip out being all alone out front.

I  love giving them what they want and then they are out front with no cover. You can sense their "oh, shit" reaction.

• Like 1

The core beliefs of Christianity

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life

Why? Why does an omnipotent god have to sacrifice anything for the 2nd part of the sentence to be true? And how did he give up his son (who is also/and also isn't himself) if said son is now in heaven with his father?

Edited by SimonBolivar

And for giving us such a huge sacrifice, why hasn't he talked to us in the last 2000 years since he did it?  

If I gave a group of people one of my children in order to save them, I'd sure as shit remind them of that every single week and demand they mow my lawn.  

Oh way, that guy's name is Jesu's.  Mind blown.

13 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

The core beliefs of Christianity

Why? Why does an omnipotent god have to sacrifice anything for the 2nd part of the sentence to be true? And how did he give up his son (who is also/and also isn't himself) if said son is now in heaven with his father?

Atonement.

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

Right, but an all poweful God could just say oh and now all you have to do is believe in me and you're good. Jesus' message works better as a martyr, but it could go however a being with unlimited power wanted it to go

I'm no biblical scholar and there are many that can explain this better than me...

Man is not reconciled with God.  Sin is what moved us out of a perfected relationship with God and keeps us apart from God.  The wages of sin is death in the eternal sense (again being apart from God).  There must be atonement for sins to be with God as God is sinless and perfect.  Jesus, being sinless, took the world's and our individual Sin upon him and to the cross and died on the cross thus the end of sin for us.  God knows we are fallen and will continue to sin but if we believe in Jesus, who took our sins and died for us, then we, too, will be redeemed through Jesus and reconciled with God.

In a nutshell, that is it and I understand.  There will be all sorts that will argue it, scoff, believe, and what have you.

You asked.  I do believe.  I don't expect you to.  If  you do: great.  If you don't: great.  I respect your position and wish you the best. I'm not hear to go down a theological rabbit hole with people.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

Just now, Billy Pilgrim said:

I don’t get why people like Prince (or the artist formerly known as Prince). I think all his music is average to sucks. They’ve been playing “Kiss” a lot on KLUV here in Dallas and I can’t figure out why people like it.

Shitty opinion thread is over there---------->

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I don’t get why people like Prince (or the artist formerly known as Prince). I think all his music is average to sucks. They’ve been playing “Kiss” a lot on KLUV here in Dallas and I can’t figure out why people like it.

You can't dance, can you?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, deadshank said:

I'm no biblical scholar and there are many that can explain this better than me...

Man is not reconciled with God.  Sin is what moved us out of a perfected relationship with God and keeps us apart from God.  The wages of sin is death in the eternal sense (again being apart from God).  There must be atonement for sins to be with God as God is sinless and perfect.  Jesus, being sinless, took the world's and our individual Sin upon him and to the cross and died on the cross thus the end of sin for us.  God knows we are fallen and will continue to sin but if we believe in Jesus, who took our sins and died for us, then we, too, will be redeemed through Jesus and reconciled with God.

In a nutshell, that is it and I understand.  There will be all sorts that will argue it, scoff, believe, and what have you.

You asked.  I do believe.  I don't expect you to.  If  you do: great.  If you don't: great.  I respect your position and wish you the best. I'm not hear to go down a theological rabbit hole with people.  

Yeah I had to read a ton of Aquinas in college so I get the basis of the argument. It just feels so...unneccessary to me.

2 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

It just feels so...unneccessary to me.

That's not an uncommon thought.  Why can't He just make it easy? Bust out the magic wand, sling around a few Hail Mary's and boom!! You're saved, mate!!

We didnt make it easy on ourselves in the old days and don't do it now and this is what we, as believers, have left.

Sin is what keeps God from talking to us for 2,000 years?  We've been sinning a lot longer than that, and then he decided to have this 30-40 year intervention with us, called Jesus Christ.  

I picture God and Nostradamus speaking up in heaven.  Nostradamus asks him why we're so disconnected from him.  God answers that it's because of our sinning.  And Nostradamus asks, "What...you didn't see that coming?"  

21 minutes ago, deadshank said:

That's not an uncommon thought.  Why can't He just make it easy? Bust out the magic wand, sling around a few Hail Mary's and boom!! You're saved, mate!!

We didnt make it easy on ourselves in the old days and don't do it now and this is what we, as believers, have left.

I think it's difficult for those in Western cultures today to follow along as we're as ethnocentric as anyone else. We're so used to logic and science (even when those are erroneous) that it makes large swaths of The Bible seem out of place. I was a casual believer (aka never thought about it just grew up in it) until sitting in scriptures class we went over the dating of the various books of the New Testament that really shook everything for me.

I know there are people on both sides of the question that are waaaaay smarter and know more about it than I do.

Edited by SimonBolivar

10 hours ago, Felix said:

Anime.  My kids (teenagers) will sit and watch 500 episodes of some crazy Japanese shit for hours and actually scream at stuff that happens in the show. All I hear from the playroom all day is people yelling in Japanese.  I tried to watch one with them and I just do not get it.

I would totally do Sailor Moon if I was a teenaged cartoon character

• Like 1