Things you really just don't get...

immortal13

44 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

How people live with a dirty/messy car.  I mean the filthy interior full of French fries and trash and water stains...

It's my commuter car.  I don't give a fuck what the interior looks like as long it gets me to and from work.

On 7/13/2020 at 1:32 PM, RDCanecutter said:

The "King Ranch" trucks crack me up. Are you a part-owner, slumming while not in your private jet to Buenos Aires for lunch? Or are you a servant, a snooty one, running errands for your King Ranch masters?

I grew up a half a block away from the King Ranch. Apart from the coyotes howling at night, and the occasional cow getting loose and walking up my street (Santa Cecilia in Kingsville if you're interested), I don't remember any cultural trappings associated with the ranch that anybody not from Kingsville would recognize. There is literally nothing called "King Ranch" (whether a pickup, or a chicken casserole dish) that actually has anything to do with the place, other than the fact that the King/Kleberg/Armstrong et al. clan is exceptionally good at monetizing their great-great-namesake's name. And he was a bit of a jerk, too, if we're being honest about it.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Golf and fishing are just excuses to day drink.

Hell yeah.  I just don't have to pay $85,000 to enter the lake.  

On 7/12/2020 at 10:06 AM, Walden Ponderer said:

Crawfish boils. Honestly, the only thing good about Cajun food is the spice. The crap they are putting the spice on? Blech. Blackened redfish? Yay. That's good. But boiled mudbug? Who the hell thought that was a good idea? Why not roaches? Dung beetles? Hairballs from your neighbors cat?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Graphic T shirts have nothing to do with why I hate 99.9% of people

Yeah, but there are bad graphic t shirt wearing people out there.                                                                                                                                                                                     (SEE: wolves howling at the moon, silhouetted against the American flag, or any Washington Redskins T-shirts)                                                                                                  and I hate those people.... along with uh-lot of other people.

4 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

He'll hate my guts. I have a collection of probably 150-200 graphic T shirts in rotation.  

Same here, and I used to have even more but a few years ago my wife tricked me into allowing her to cut some of the older ones into scraps with the as-of-yet unfulfilled promise to sew them all into a quilt. 

• Like 1

Theses posts make sense-- I was just thinking "what is it about people that clothing stores can't stay in business?". Brooks Brothers and Lucky Brand Jeans filed for bankruptcy in July. Van Heusen and Izod Golf both shut down all their stores and fired 500 people. Jos A. Bank and Men's Warehouse shut down 500 stores in a pre-bankruptcy move. This is just July. And pre-covid-19 there Neiman Marcus and J Crew and many, many others.

My question was, did we as a society just stop wearing clothes as much? Culturally we just don't need to look as put together 5x a week? Or is it that people had 2 pairs of pants and shorts they wear for 3-4 years and the same 3 or 4 golf shirts? Or was it that we had too many retail/clothing stores?

I think the answer this page has given me is graphic t-shirts.

Edited by Rougarou

Theses posts make sense-- I was just thinking "what is it about people that clothing stores can't stay in business?". Brooks Brothers and Lucky Brand Jeans filed for bankruptcy in July. Van Heusen and Izod Golf both shut down all their stores and fired 500 people. Jos A. Bank and Men's Warehouse shut down 500 stores in a pre-bankruptcy move. This is just July. And pre-covid-19 there Neiman Marcus and J Crew and many, many others.
My question was, did we as a society just stop wearing clothes as much? Culturally we just don't need to look as put together 5x a week? Or is it that people had 2 pairs of pants and shorts they wear for 3-4 years and the same 3 or 4 golf shirts? Or was it that we had too many retail/clothing stores?
I think the answer this page has given me is graphic t-shirts.
You don't need a tailored dress shirt when you're working from home. On the other side, sweatpants and bath robe sales went nuts this spring.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, Parliament said:

You don't need a tailored dress shirt when you're working from home. On the other side, sweatpants and bath robe sales went nuts this spring.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Even pre-covid though, the trend of retail/clothing sales was so bad clothiers were dropping like flies.

But yes, covid-19 might have been the tipping point of no return graphic shirts and gym shorts and flip flops is the uniform.

On 7/19/2020 at 10:51 AM, 52-80 said:

How people live with a dirty/messy car.  I mean the filthy interior full of French fries and trash and water stains...

I used to feel this way.  I kind of still do.  My wife and kids have made it only possible for me to have a clean area within the cars.  

1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

My question was, did we as a society just stop wearing clothes as much?

Most days since March I have gone barefoot, wearing the same pair of shorts (wash em once a week whether they need it or not,) and maybe a loose old short-sleeve shirt.

I am one heap of bananas from looking like a white extra in a Harry Belafonte song.

3 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Even pre-covid though, the trend of retail/clothing sales was so bad clothiers were dropping like flies.

But yes, covid-19 might have been the tipping point of no return graphic shirts and gym shorts and flip flops is the uniform.

I’ve worn shoes (as opposed to the ubiquitous Birks) about 10 times in the last five months. Long pants about five times. A tie zero times. My suits, sport coats, and slacks are gathering dust in the closet. 

2 minutes ago, nnm said:

I’ve worn shoes (as opposed to the ubiquitous Birks) about 10 times in the last five months. Long pants about five times. A tie zero times. My suits, sport coats, and slacks are gathering dust in the closet. 

What a time to be alive. I wear a ball cap 3x a week (even on Zoom work calls with the camera on at this point) so I get it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

Surprised Blazing Saddles is still PC to say you like it. The satire/parody is very vulgar and from another time, for sure.

They aren't bad movies but the hype I heard about both of them, they were big letdowns when I finally saw them. The only good things for me was I then understood the quotes and references from each movie.

Now the movie Airplane, that was some funny shit. Loved that one.