Pork rib smoking questions

shadetree

I’ve been asked to spoke some St. Louis ribs. Never smoked them before. Cooked a lot of briskets, beef ribs, turkeys, and pork shoulders. I’m generally familiar with the 3-2-1 method (Hornian I think). 3 hours uncovered, 2 hours wrapped in foil, and last put uncovered to firm up. What else do I need to know? Seasoning? Apple cider spritz a few times while uncovered? I smoke on a primo XL, usually a bit hotter then others- usually 275 - 300.

I was given 4 racks to cook. Will also be cooking some beef ribs at the same time. Thanks.

I’ve been asked to spoke some St. Louis ribs. Never smoked them before. Cooked a lot of briskets, beef ribs, turkeys, and pork shoulders. I’m generally familiar with the 3-2-1 method (Hornian I think). 3 hours uncovered, 2 hours wrapped in foil, and last put uncovered to firm up. What else do I need to know? Seasoning? Apple cider spritz a few times while uncovered? I smoke on a primo XL, usually a bit hotter then others- usually 275 - 300.
I was given 4 racks to cook. Will also be cooking some beef ribs at the same time. Thanks.
You will be fine, just don't pull them early. Do the tong horseshoe test.7078ed91f0fe89aa251758d8412cc7bb.gif

I got a BGE in November and have done ribs 3-4 times with 2-2-1 for baby back and 3-2-1 for spares. I found that they all probably cooked faster than I was used to on my Klose offset.

Just use S+P for the ribs and glaze them a couple of times after you unwrap if you want something on them. I also enjoy Honey Hog from Meat Church as well as Terry Black's Pork Rub.

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I just use any pork rub, like to add some butter and honey when they go in the wrap.  At those temps your ribs will not take 6 hours. 

This.  And the 3-2-1 really works well.  I use Squeeze Parkay (doesn’t burn like butter can), agave and some brown sugar.  

I've done a half dozen racks over the past couple of weeks.  Average smoker temperature was probably 240, with a little newbie swing in there.  Still learning the new rig.

Yellow mustard to bind salt and pepper, no 3-2-1, no "spritz", just 5 hours on the smoke.  F'n fantastic.  Don't overthink it.

3-2-1 works well at 225 on an offset, but on your ceramic cooker at 275-300 you'll need to adjust the times.

I also don't ever do the "1."   More like 30 minutes max, because a full hour dries 'em out too much for me.

Salt-pepper-paprika is good.  So is Fiesta pork rub + Montreal steak seasoning. I don't bother with spritzing, the foil-wrapped period keeps them plenty moist and juicy.

• Like 2

3-2-1 works well at 225 on an offset, but on your ceramic cooker at 275-300 you'll need to adjust the times.
I also don't ever do the "1."   More like 30 minutes max, because a full hour dries 'em out too much for me.

This is 100% true. 3-2-1 is too long in ceramic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had issues with spares for a few years. I either seem to have them retreating from the bone like they stole something and way overcooked or I pull them too soon and the fat isn't fully rendered. I love a big meaty sparerib with a good bite to it. 

I made a fantastic rack last weekend. I kept temps lower than usual (225-250 range) and I pulled them around 203 and put them wrapped in the oven at 200 for another couple of hours. No retreating from the bone and they were perfect.

I also went back to the WSM. I like my ceramic a lot but fuck grey ribs, superficial or not. 

20200704_232336.jpg

• Like 4