Summer Transfer Window 2020

JNip

21 hours ago, texifornia said:

It would be so cool if he could rediscover his mojo

indeed it would.  they aren't ready to threaten near the top of the table or anything but if he can find that quality in conjunction with richarlison and calvert-lewin, it could at least be an entertaining team to watch.

3 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Too many people think Everton bought 2014 World Cup edition James Rodriguez. His last 5 seasons have been a wasteland; he’s only played above 1900 minutes in all competitions in 1 of the last 5 seasons.  To put that in perspective: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain played 2,195 minutes last year. 

i mean, the discussion was literally about how it would be nice if he rediscovered his mojo from the 2014 world cup.  he has not been able to see much of the field on literally the two best clubs in the galaxy since then.  that doesn't bode well for his quality relative to the players at bayern and real madrid but it is still a potential upgrade in quality for my mid-table purgatory toffees.  cup half full: not a lot of wear and tear and injuries so maybe he still has something in him that when combined with young talent like everton has in the front and other midfielders like sigurdsson, could make for some excitement.  cup half empty: he was lightning in a bottle for a year and now he's shit which is why he never played for real or bayern and we will find out why in a few weeks.

the thing i don't understand my fellow evertonians getting excited about is the chelsea loan with tomori.  everton fans should know better than anyone...if you can't beat out ross barkley where you are, then i have no use for you.

anyway, i am not sure i would call it a "great window" but everton is putting in some work to do some upgrading at need spots.

if liverpool gets thiago though, then that is just silly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidis said:

i mean, the discussion was literally about how it would be nice if he rediscovered his mojo from the 2014 world cup.  he has not been able to see much of the field on literally the two best clubs in the galaxy since then.  that doesn't bode well for his quality relative to the players at bayern and real madrid but it is still a potential upgrade in quality for my mid-table purgatory toffees.  cup half full: not a lot of wear and tear and injuries so maybe he still has something in him that when combined with young talent like everton has in the front and other midfielders like sigurdsson, could make for some excitement.  cup half empty: he was lightning in a bottle for a year and now he's shit which is why he never played for real or bayern and we will find out why in a few weeks.

the thing i don't understand my fellow evertonians getting excited about is the chelsea loan with tomori.  everton fans should know better than anyone...if you can't beat out ross barkley where you are, then i have no use for you.

anyway, i am not sure i would call it a "great window" but everton is putting in some work to do some upgrading at need spots.

Barkley and Tomori don't play the same position. Tomori's a centerback.

Though admittedly it's not as if Zouma/Rudiger/Christiansen were exactly the Great Wall of West London

Edited by texifornia

4 hours ago, sidis said:

Don't get me wrong, I think he is a risk worth taking. But for a team in the bottom half of the table to try the same strategy for about the 6th straight year of buying better teams (Mina, Gomes, Iwobi, Walcott, Schniderlein, Kean etc...) cast offs at premium prices doesn't seem like they are going to get much different of a result. Especially with Rodriguez and Allan going into their age 29-30 season. What's the longer term plan?

Tier 1 Apparently.

Mendy has reached an agreement on a 5-year contract with #Chelsea . Mendy is the priority. The player informed #Rennes that he wanted to join the English club. Negotiations started between the two clubs the day before yesterday. Chelsea made a bid of around 20M € . Rennes wants to - 26M €

13 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Don't get me wrong, I think he is a risk worth taking. But for a team in the bottom half of the table to try the same strategy for about the 6th straight year of buying better teams (Mina, Gomes, Iwobi, Walcott, Schniderlein, Kean etc...) cast offs at premium prices doesn't seem like they are going to get much different of a result. Especially with Rodriguez and Allan going into their age 29-30 season. What's the longer term plan?

Yeah, they definitely do not have a long-term plan but they do have some talent and a very good manager, so I'm guessing they're hoping for a Cup run and maybe Europa qualification?