Frontmen: Everybody agrees that Mick is #1. Everybody SHOULD agree that #2 is...

Gil Bang

On 7/12/2020 at 9:04 AM, Napoleon said:

I was thinking that he would be above Mick as well in many people’s eyes. 

There was never a Stones Decade. 

‘60s- Beatles, though they didn’t tour, Beach Boys, The Byrd’s, and The Who

’70s- Zeppelin, Bee Gees, Elton John, Fleetwood Macor KISS depending on tastes

’80s- Madonna, Michael Jackson, Van Halen, [Hair Bands], U2, Bruce Springsteen, REM... probably, but there were several contenders 

‘90s- [choose your Seattle Band]...or Liam Gallagher

Bruce Springsteen > Mick Jagger... Bruce’s concerts are like no other. 3 hours of pure music. 

Fixed

Edited by Bullneck
  • Like 1

If we’re doing recent, Brandon Flowers is somewhere in there. I don’t think he’s great or anything but he is definitely a frontman, and for a band that has had a lot of hits over most of two decades. Grohl is a good call. If Fun would put out music Nate Ruess could easily climb that ladder. He’s a great singer/showman/pop songwriter and has been since The Format. Probably Adam Levine gets a mention if we were using any objective measure. Of course the problem is there are so few actual rock bands in the top 40 these days. Feels like Kings of Leon was the last time I can think of a band that was getting played everywhere that was definitely a rock band.

37 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Feels like Kings of Leon was the last time I can think of a band that was getting played everywhere that was definitely a rock band.

Not sure why you referenced Grohl but then made this statement.  Maybe the Foos aren't getting played "everywhere" any more.  I am so in my own bubble I'm not sure what's really out there.  What about The Black Keys?  (Personally I find them terribly boring, but they sure seem to crank out hits.)

On 7/12/2020 at 7:11 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Steven Tyler has great pipes, but that is a fraction of what being a great front man entails.

Plus, the majority of Aerosmith’s output is garbage. I love their early stuff, but it’s been straight crap for 4 decades.

I think David Lee Roth proved that great pipes don't mean shit to what makes a great front man. 

On 7/13/2020 at 11:38 AM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Rob Halford is like Pelle Almqvist. He's kind of in that Julius Irving tier of great frontmen. He's not in the GOAT conversation, but he's pretty fucking spectacular. 

I think this thread is drifting off topic towards name checking spectacular frontmen that are not in the GOAT conversation. That's fine, but I think there are three categories here - the very top tier of frontmen that are the greatest to ever front a rock band and worth legitimate comparison to each other -  the equivalent of  Jordan/Bron/Magic/Bird. There's the second tier, frontmen that were/are incredible in their own right but not in the same class as the very best, and then the third tier of frontmen that aren't all-timers at their position, but are nonetheless very memorable and wildly entertaining. 

GOAT Tier:

Freddie Mercury
Mick Jagger

Robert Plant

DLR

Dr J Tier:
Stephen Tyler 
Bon Scott
Bono

Rod Stewart

Ozzy

Roger Daltrey

Axl Rose

Rob Halford

Dominique Wilkins Tier:

Adam Lambert

Perry Farrell

Dio

Pelle Almqvist

Rob Halford

Matt Bellamy

Brendon Urie

Patrick Stump

James Hetfield

53 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I think this thread is drifting off topic towards name checking spectacular frontmen that are not in the GOAT conversation. That's fine, but I think there are three categories here - the very top tier of frontmen that are the greatest to ever front a rock band and worth legitimate comparison to each other -  the equivalent of  Jordan/Bron/Magic/Bird. There's the second tier, frontmen that were/are incredible in their own right but not in the same class as the very best, and then the third tier of frontmen that aren't all-timers at their position, but are nonetheless very memorable and wildly entertaining. 

GOAT Tier:

Freddie Mercury
Mick Jagger

Robert Plant

DLR

Dr J Tier:
Stephen Tyler 
Bon Scott
Bono

Rod Stewart

Ozzy

Roger Daltrey

Axl Rose

Rob Halford

Dominique Wilkins Tier:

Adam Lambert

Perry Farrell

Dio

Pelle Almqvist

Rob Halford

Matt Bellamy

Brendon Urie

Patrick Stump

James Hetfield

I had to look up who 3 of your Wilkins tier guys were 

here's a couple I haven't seen mentioned  Iggy Pop(stooges) and Jim Morrison.  they are difficult to categorize due to Morrison being fucked up a lot and Pop with stooges for a short period and then going solo.  but I think they might qualify for the lower end of the Dr. J tier.

I kind of think about classic true frontmen as guys who don't play guitar except for a few songs now and then. Grohl is great though.

I gotta give it to Jagger though.  what that guy does at 70+ years old is pretty damn incredible. Keith is great but Jagger allows a 50+ year old band sell out stadiums. Mercury is right there, just have to give it to jagger for longevity.

11 hours ago, dcar00 said:

here's a couple I haven't seen mentioned  Iggy Pop(stooges) and Jim Morrison.  they are difficult to categorize due to Morrison being fucked up a lot and Pop with stooges for a short period and then going solo.  but I think they might qualify for the lower end of the Dr. J tier.

I kind of think about classic true frontmen as guys who don't play guitar except for a few songs now and then. Grohl is great though.

I gotta give it to Jagger though.  what that guy does at 70+ years old is pretty damn incredible. Keith is great but Jagger allows a 50+ year old band sell out stadiums. Mercury is right there, just have to give it to jagger for longevity.

Vince Young only had one very good season, and one great season, and left a year before he could wrap up the career.

But he's the greatest college quarterback of all time.

Freddie's like that.

• Like 1

I'd say Jimi Hendrix was a unique, epic, mesmerizing frontman.  I loved the way he started off most shows.  He would roll out half a dozen impossible runs and licks, stride slowly to the mic, and say, in that trademark hip voice, "Soooo, we meet again," and take himself, Mitch, Noel and everyone there into another dimension.  Was he "#2?"  Fuck if I know.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah this ain't a king of the decade, it's the king of rock front men of all time thing.  Beck ?  No way in Hell.

Could have sworn I saw someone post by decade.  Saw him back in 2004 with the Flaming Lips backing him.  Dude put on a hell of a show. 

Apparently, so does Plant, even still.

/sorry to come in here, start a fight, and ruin your black pantha pahty.

Edited by dcbc

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

Could have sworn I saw someone post by decade.  Saw him back in 2004 with the Flaming Lips backing him.  Dude put on a hell of a show. 

Apparently, so does Plant, even still.

No worries though, it's just rock and roll....  Never a big fan of Beck though.  I think a by decade list is kinda interesting.

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

No worries though, it's just rock and roll....  Never a big fan of Beck though.  I think a by decade list is kinda interesting.

That show was crazy good.  We saw him at Will Rogers auditorium in Ft. Worth.  Flaming Lips were really great, both opening for him and backing him. 

Honestly, somebody mentioned Freddy early on.  Hard to argue that either. 

33 minutes ago, dcbc said:

That show was crazy good.  We saw him at Will Rogers auditorium in Ft. Worth.  Flaming Lips were really great, both opening for him and backing him. 

Honestly, somebody mentioned Freddy early on.  Hard to argue that either. 

Yeah Freddie is a top contender.

And looking at the OP, it never said Rock.  So I'm just going to end the thread and say James Brown.

You're all welcome.

And maybe with move Mick to #2.

/love me some Stones though.

Edited by dcbc

2 minutes ago, dcbc said:

And looking at the OP, it never said Rock.  So I'm just going to end the thread and say James Brown.

You're all welcome.

Yep he was mentioned earlier, but was shot down by the jury because he wasn't considered a front man, he was THE act .  I like him as one of the great front men in rock and roll and R&B.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yep he was mentioned earlier, but was shot down by the jury because he wasn't considered a front man, he was THE act .  I like him as one of the great front men in rock and roll and R&B.

I probably should read the thread.  I've been sucked into the DT portal lately.  New Surly motto?

• Like 1

If we get back to the idea of the frontman being charismatic and a showman and not how musical talented they were.....

My top three are always going to be:

Freddie Mercury

Robert Plant

DLR

And even by my front man rules 2 of the 3 (Freddie and Plant) were/are incredibly talented.  JimmyJazz brought up Plant's constant evolution as an artist. 

Freddie could command a crowd like no other.  This isn't a play for second place.  Freddie was a much better front man than Mick. 

I was in the RP and DLR camps from a really early age (like 11-12 years old, 1981ish).   I really liked Led Zeppelin.  I LOVED Van Halen.    I used to be able to name every song off of Van Halen I through 1984 in order.  I listened to everyone of those albums front to back  repeatedly.  I wore out my copies of Van Halen I & II and 1984 several times and had to buy new ones. 

I got to see them on the 1984 tour at the old Summit in Houston.  Went with two friends and one of their dads.  It was the first time I saw a doobie.  Friend's dad took one out (like 100s of other people were doing) lit up, and passed it to his son.  Said son totally bogarted it and his dad berated him with "Hey, hey, hey...  its puff, puff, pass, man."  I didnt partake but it made me laugh.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Strummer was so damned smart.  I could have listened to him read recipes and learned something.  Not seeing The Clash is probably my greatest regret with regards to artists I've missed, followed closely by The Police and Prince.

Saw the clash in early 82 I believe @ William & Mary hall.  Great show....  Strummer was the man.  Watching guys break dance to the Clash on the stadium floor was kinda different.

• Like 2

Is Bruce a front man or THE act?

It seems that if we're counting Petty among the front men ranks, we gotta count Bruce too.  The E Street Band, like The Heartbreakers, is such an integral part of what's going on that guys like Petty and Springsteen are truly band leaders as opposed to a performer in front of a revolving group of musicians.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Is Bruce a front man or THE act?

It seems that if we're counting Petty among the front men ranks, we gotta count Bruce too.  The E Street Band, like The Heartbreakers, is such an integral part of what's going on that guys like Petty and Springsteen are truly band leaders as opposed to a performer in front of a revolving group of musicians.

Bruce and Tom are the ACT IMO.  and they play an instrument almost all the time.  IMO, the frontman discussions is basically a pure "lead singer" who plays instrument rarely and fronts a "band" that has the billing. Daltrey, Plant, Jagger, Mercury, etc.   Ronnie Van Zandt would be another one. 

• Like 1

Bruce and Tom are the ACT IMO.  and they play an instrument almost all the time.  IMO, the frontman discussions is basically a pure "lead singer" who plays instrument rarely and fronts a "band" that has the billing. Daltrey, Plant, Jagger, Mercury, etc.   Ronnie Van Zandt would be another one. 

Ronnie is definitely an excellent choice.

I’ve always felt that the E Street Band and the Heartbreakers were huge parts of those acts. You could say the same maybe for the Revolution when they played behind Prince, or The Band when they backed Dylan (although I think Prince and Dylan are much more true solo artists than Petty or Bruce). At least for those phases of said artists’ careers

13 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Ronnie is definitely an excellent choice.

I’ve always felt that the E Street Band and the Heartbreakers were huge parts of those acts. You could say the same maybe for the Revolution when they played behind Prince, or The Band when they backed Dylan (although I think Prince and Dylan are much more true solo artists than Petty or Bruce). At least for those phases of said artists’ careers

sure.  I can see the argument but when its "artist name" + "band name" they generally aren't thought of as traditional frontmen.    although I might make one exception.  Hootie was pretty damn good but the Blowfish were meh.

On 7/15/2020 at 1:13 PM, SHOOTER12 said:

Bringing the conversation back around to Steve Perry, how in the hell he could run around, up and down the ramps and platforms while hitting the insane notes he hit was nothing short of miraculous.

I was at the concert in Houston that they recorded live and was totally amazed.  To keep rythym, pitch and flow while running like a madman puts him at or near the top of any list imo.

Saw the same tour. Had the same impression.

I would have thought Mike Patton would have gotten more run up in here. Not GOAT status, but if you put some pure frontman proteins in a test tube and scienced it for a bit you might grow a Mike Patton.

EDIT TO ADD: Team Freddie.

Edited by BoomMF