2013 Sugar Bowl

PittsburghTiger

#21 Louisville v #3 Florida

Interesting game on ESPNClassic right now.

Charlie Strong is at Louisville with Teddy Bridgewater at QB. Will Muschamp at Florida with Dan Quinn his DC. Louisville's offense was really fun that season. Florida's defense trying to punch them in the mouth and intimidate them, but Louisville is having none of it. Florida a 13.5 point favorite.

57 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Charlie Strong is at Louisville with Teddy Bridgewater at QB. Will Muschamp at Florida with Dan Quinn his DC. Louisville's offense was really fun that season. Florida's defense trying to punch them in the mouth and intimidate them, but Louisville is having none of it. Florida a 13.5 point favorite.

Louisville’s offense had one drive that amounted to anything if I recall right. UF’s defense kicked their ass up and down the field and Bridgewater hit not a few miracle heaves to keep the chains moving at times. 

Florida wins the game handily if they had even an average offense.  

45 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Louisville’s offense had one drive that amounted to anything if I recall right. UF’s defense kicked their ass up and down the field and Bridgewater hit not a few miracle heaves to keep the chains moving at times. 

Louisville won 33-23, ran 68 plays for 336 yards, and possessed the ball over 10 minutes longer than Florida did. 

22 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Louisville won 33-23, ran 68 plays for 336 yards, and possessed the ball over 10 minutes longer than Florida did. 

Louisville intercepted the first UF pass and returned it for a TD. I think their opening drive went for 12 plays, 80 some odd yards and a TD. which means their next 56 plays went for 253 yards and 19 points. All the while the 103 ranked UF offense shit itself with the help of the UL defense to a horrendous showing. 

Put that aside and watch the long passes  TB completed. We’re talking Major Applewhite to Bryan White against UNL level connections.  Bridgewater had the s**t knocked out of him that game  it was commented on during the game and by TB himself post game  

Again, even an average UF offense produces a solid victory there. 

And I bring this all up because I had to argue the game over dispshits hyping Shawn Watson’s offensive prowess.  The box score didn’t reveal the manner in which the game was played or the way they UL offense operated.

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

2 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Yeah, that Sean Watson guy could really coordinate an offense.  Anyone know whatever happened to him after that?

1 hour ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Yeah, that Sean Watson guy could really coordinate an offense.  Anyone know whatever happened to him after that?

Well, they did score 30+ points seven times that year and finished with 11 wins and two losses. I'd take that, and so would you.

I'd say it was more Teddy than Shawn, and yes, I know what has become of him since.

2 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

It's been about a decade since they have had an average offense so I don't think it can be marked down as an oddity.

4 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Well, they did score 30+ points seven times that year and finished with 11 wins and two losses. I'd take that, and so would you.

I'd say it was more Teddy than Shawn, and yes, I know what has become of him since.

Don’t forget the joke of a schedule they played that year.

56 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

It's been about a decade since they have had an average offense so I don't think it can be marked down as an oddity.

That has nothing to do with be fact that if they’d have fielded an average offense they’d probably have beaten UL convincingly that night. 

3 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Don’t forget the joke of a schedule they played that year.

A lot of teams play shit schedules and knock out big scores against shit teams.

That has nothing to do with be fact that if they’d have fielded an average offense they’d probably have beaten UL convincingly that night. 

I don't think anyone is saying that they had a competent offense like they did under Spurrier. But that's THE offense they had that night, and that's what matters. Nothing else.

Every team can say something to the effect of, "if we just had _________, our season would have been different, or we could have beaten ______ "

Florida has had shit offenses for a while so it's not like just in that game their offense disappeared.

The point that keeps clearing your head by an AU or two is that even an average offensive showing by UF would have been enough to win a game that was hallmark victory for UL under Strong. It means that the offensive performance of UL and TB was vastly overrated as anyone watching the game instead of the box score could attest.  

Florida’s offensive history has nothing to do with it. Zip. Zilch. Someone who just witnessed the last season of UT football might be able to attest to how overrated some teams were after beating UT given our particular brand of offensive retardation.

Louisville won.  Yay for them.  Everyone will take the W. But it was fools gold.  Simple as that.

3 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

The point that keeps clearing your head by an AU or two is that even an average offensive showing by UF would have been enough to win a game that was hallmark victory for UL under Strong. It means that the offensive performance of UL and TB was vastly overrated as anyone watching the game instead of the box score could attest.  

Florida’s offensive history has nothing to do with it. Zip. Zilch. Someone who just witnessed the last season of UT football might be able to attest to how overrated some teams were after beating UT given our particular brand of offensive retardation.

Louisville won.  Yay for them.  Everyone will take the W. But it was fools gold.  Simple as that.

No, what keeps clearing my head is what you are arguing about. Is it just hatred of Charlie Strong and Watson? We all know that teams are rated incorrectly and given too much credit for certain victories.

Nobody said that a competent offense from Florida couldn't have won that game. But, Florida didn't have one. Their offensive, history now, performance at the time is extremely relevant.

I said Louisville was fun on offense that season, and they were a lot of the time. I did not say they were a great offensive team that goes down in history as one of the best, but Teddy Bridgewater was pretty good. And, they continued to be relevant after Charlie left. 

Since that game Louisville has gone - 12-1, 9-4, 8-5, 9-4 & 8-5 (46/19) in four of those seasons Louisville has scored at least 405 points. So it wasn't really fools gold for Louisville as they moved forward. 

Since that game Florida has gone - 4-8, 7-5, 10-4, 9-4,  & 4-7 (34/30) in two of those seasons they scored under 250 points.

Perhaps I have to state why I posted that about the game being on is because there were some interesting coaching names involved, not just Strong, but Muschamp, Watson and Quinn. And, this is the football board. That's it. It wasn't to extoll the virtues of Charlie Strong.

Crediting the offense of L'ville post Strong to a departed staff is silly.  That game was fool's gold.  If you watched it you saw a L'ville team that had one drive and hit on some miracle receptions.  And that's about it.  Only the ineptitude of the Florida offense made it an upset.  I don't care what either team has done since then.  It's irrelevant as both have changed staffs a few times.  What is important is realizing that that performance was overrated.

I hate neither Strong or Watson.  I don't know either of them.  I think Watson is a particularly shitty OC, but you're reaching to make points I haven't even hinted at other than the fact that I had to walk back the adulation of that game by many posters hoping that Shawn Watson was something other than a particularly shitty OC.  And therefore I have a pretty good grasp of the talking points of those arguments.

It baffles me how a team like Florida can be so bad at offense. With how much talent is in Florida high schools. This isn't some rinky dink school in Florida. They used to be great on offense. And ever since 2009, they've been crap.

6 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Crediting the offense of L'ville post Strong to a departed staff is silly.  That game was fool's gold.  If you watched it you saw a L'ville team that had one drive and hit on some miracle receptions.  And that's about it.  Only the ineptitude of the Florida offense made it an upset.  I don't care what either team has done since then.  It's irrelevant as both have changed staffs a few times.  What is important is realizing that that performance was overrated.

I hate neither Strong or Watson.  I don't know either of them.  I think Watson is a particularly shitty OC, but you're reaching to make points I haven't even hinted at other than the fact that I had to walk back the adulation of that game by many posters hoping that Shawn Watson was something other than a particularly shitty OC.  And therefore I have a pretty good grasp of the talking points of those arguments.

I don't think I credited the departed staff for Louisville's improvement on offense. You keep reading things that I have not said. Don't look too deeply into this, it was just a post about an interesting football game with an interesting cast of characters.

6 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
18 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

It baffles me how a team like Florida can be so bad at offense. With how much talent is in Florida high schools. This isn't some rinky dink school in Florida. They used to be great on offense. And ever since 2009, they've been crap.

Coaching. Coaching. Coaching. I guess.

Sometimes though I bet a good number of these great high school players get ranked by the number of top teams who offer them. Too often they are misses. A kid is middling along in his recruiting as a three star and then he gets interest from a bigger program and the local newspaper guy, who hasn't really seen him play, bumps him up to a four star.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Louisville intercepted the first UF pass and returned it for a TD. I think their opening drive went for 12 plays, 80 some odd yards and a TD. which means their next 56 plays went for 253 yards and 19 points. All the while the 103 ranked UF offense shit itself with the help of the UL defense to a horrendous showing. 

Put that aside and watch the long passes  TB completed. We’re talking Major Applewhite to Bryan White against UNL level connections.  Bridgewater had the s**t knocked out of him that game  it was commented on during the game and by TB himself post game  

Again, even an average UF offense produces a solid victory there. 

And I bring this all up because I had to argue the game over dispshits hyping Shawn Watson’s offensive prowess.  The box score didn’t reveal the manner in which the game was played or the way they UL offense operated.

If by that point you observed anyone who thought Shawn Watson was anything better than a collection of salamander droppings, your best recourse was to get the fuck out of there and permit them to masturbate amongst themselves because Watson's ineptitude was well established way before the 2012 season.

16 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

If by that point you observed anyone who thought Shawn Watson was anything better than a collection of salamander droppings, your best recourse was to get the fuck out of there and permit them to masturbate amongst themselves because Watson's ineptitude was well established way before the 2012 season.

A few people on here (or rather, the previous website) thought Tim Beck was a good hire. I believe the words "home run" were used by at least one user.

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I don't think I credited the departed staff for Louisville's improvement on offense. You keep reading things that I have not said. Don't look too deeply into this, it was just a post about an interesting football game with an interesting cast of characters.

Sure you did. You made it a point to say the performance was valid because UL has had good offenses for a long time now. On multiple occasions. During years in which Strong et al had been long departed  

Hey, I once tuned in to watch them play in the TB years and within a quarter wondered what was this hot dog shit they were passing off as an offense, and why was everyone so high on it. Then the commentators mentioned who the OC was and it all made sense. 

2 hours ago, hpslugga said:

There was not a small number folks on TOS that bought into that poser hook, line and sinker. And about half wanted to give him another chance the following year given our personnel deficiencies. 

Those usual suspects jumped in to defend the Beck hire as well despite a clearly discernible track record that aligned pretty well with Watson’s ability to fail upwards. He deserves another year too in their eyes because of.....personnel. It’s a hard game to follow for a few I guess. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

Sure you did. You made it a point to say the performance was valid because UL has had good offenses for a long time now. On multiple occasions. During years in which Strong et al had been long departed  

Hey, I once tuned in to watch them play in the TB years and within a quarter wondered what was this hot dog shit they were passing off as an offense, and why was everyone so high on it. Then the commentators mentioned who the OC was and it all made sense. 

No, I didn't. 

I don't know how you read things that are not there.

11 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
23 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I'm racking my brains trying to find another example of this happening, but I am drawing blanks.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Since that game Louisville has gone - 12-1, 9-4, 8-5, 9-4 & 8-5 (46/19) in four of those seasons Louisville has scored at least 405 points. So it wasn't really fools gold for Louisville as they moved forward. 

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

No, I didn't. 

I don't know how you read things that are not there.

The 2012 season was both a surprise and a letdown for Louisville. They mowed through the first part of their schedule going 9-0 and almost breaking the top 10 for the first time since the 1st Petrino era, but then lost back-to-back games to very pedestrian Syracuse and UConn teams. They won their last game to win the Big East, which got them a bid to the Sugar Bowl.

Coming off a 7-6 year, Florida started the season in the top 25 and worked into the top 5 before a big loss to Georgia - their only loss of the year. They received an At-Large bid to Sugar Bowl. Florida had a great defense that year and a punishing rushing offense, but a very weak passing offense led by Jeff Driskel at QB.

One thing I noticed while watching this game was that Bridgewater was going to be a star. He didn't remind me of VY so much as Russell Wilson. Maybe RG3 because sometimes he was more lucky than good. Repeatedly the pocket would collapse, receivers were covered, and he would make things happen. 
The other thing was that Louisville did what it needed to do early to win. The opening pick-6 put Florida in a hole and Muschamp kept trying to pass his way out of it. Florida couldn't stop Bridgewater, and he couldn't use his one real weapon - Mike Gillislee. Louisville put Florida in a hole and even though the 2nd half was really all Florida, the game was over.

A big upset that promised big things for Louisville and Bridgewater, but the 2013 season would be disappointing as their only loss cost them the Big East championship and they were relegated to the Russell Athletic Bowl.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Meaning - They have kept playing pretty good football. Doesn't matter who is coaching them.

You saying it was fools gold is actually wrong. They have kept on winning, at a decent pace, and they have had some seasons where they scored a ton of points.

That does not mean I said Charlie and Watson are the reason they kept winning, or scoring points.

I don't get how you can't understand that.

I'm done with your obsession with disparaging Louisville Football.

On 4/17/2018 at 2:47 AM, Vic Mackey said:
On 4/16/2018 at 2:37 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

Glass houses, stones and all that crap.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2018 at 11:04 AM, Jkwellborn said:

How was Florida ranked #3? I know they were damned good on defense but the offense was shit wasn’t it? Like it’s been for awhile.

Defense helped them escape narrowly against a lot of good teams.   They won but you never really thought you'd be safe betting on them.  The offense was muschamp's flaw- conservative to "help" the defense but never really good enough to do anything.

On 4/17/2018 at 1:47 AM, Vic Mackey said:
On 4/16/2018 at 1:37 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

I don't care who you recruit if your schemes aren't designed well enough to allow them to succeed.

Muschamp made horrific OC hires and McElwain was a very conservative OC under Saban.   I think Mullen will return them to being a well designed and schematically aggressive offense that should start rolling again.