Is Kurt Cobain in the 27 Club?

PRONG HORN

Is Kurt Cobain in the 27 Club?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. He died at 27 but is he in the club?

• 2 weeks later...

One interesting thing about this "27 club" is the volume of great music produced by each member varies so widely. 

Brian Jones helped the Stones put out 9 studio albums before he died.  

Jim Morrison released 7 albums (if you count 'American Prayer')

Ron "Pigpen" McKernan, the original frontman of the The Grateful Dead, crafted the band's first 5 studio albums.  

The original himself, Robert Johnson, was from an era where full length LPs were very rare.  We know of 42 total tracks recorded, about 4-5 albums worth.  

Jimi Hendrix released 4 studio albums (I count "The Cry of Love" because it was basically done when he died, half the tracks just needed final mixing).  

Janis Joplin released 4 studio albums (with various "backing" bands)

Kurt Cobain put out 3 with Nirvana

Amy Winehouse with 2 

While all of their brilliant music lives on, only two of them still have their songs played today by their original bandmates (or some of their former bandmates), Pigpen & Brian Jones.  Although there isn't a recorded song today that doesn't have Robert Johnson's fingerprints all over it.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2020 at 10:10 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Is this really something that isn't a universally held opinion?

So you think he's in the club?  It's not a musical accomplishment club.  It's not about sold records or popular videos.  It's just a club artists that the universe  took at a certain age.  It's not a club for those who decided when they could go.  You don't get to join the club on purpose.  Kurt is not a member.  

29 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

So you think he's in the club?  It's not a musical accomplishment club.  It's not about sold records or popular videos.  It's just a club artists that the universe  took at a certain age.  It's not a club for those who decided when they could go.  You don't get to join the club on purpose.  Kurt is not a member.  

Heroin overdoses are basically suicide.  I don't see how Kurt getting efficient with a shotgun puts him in a different category.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Heroin overdoses are basically suicide.  I don't see how Kurt getting efficient with a shotgun puts him in a different category.

Because there is not a certainty with a Heroin OD.  I would think most of those are just people looking for their next fix.  Letting Kurt in just opens the door for any yahoo that wants to join.  Only the universe decides.  

I'm hard-pressed to believe Kurt thought, "Damn, I just turned 27. I know I'm one of the most famous musicians on Earth, rich, and have a baby daughter I'd be leaving behind, but I guess I'd better get on with it and kill myself so I can be a part of some celebrity death club that only 1% of the general population knows or cares about."

Nobody who is famous enough to get in is going to kill themselves to be in that club.

He was a depressed, suicidal drug addict for years who finally lost that battle. Losing it at 27 wasn't a decision.  It counts.

Edited by Tom
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom said:

I'm hard-pressed to believe Kurt thought, "Damn, I just turned 27. I know I'm one of the most famous musicians on Earth, rich, and have a baby daughter I'd be leaving behind, but I guess I'd better get on with it and kill myself so I can be a part of some celebrity death club that only 1% of the general population knows or cares about."

Nobody who is famous enough to get in is going to kill themselves to be in that club.

He was a depressed, suicidal drug addict for years who finally lost that battle. Losing it at 27 wasn't a decision.  It counts.

The point is that the club is exclusive.  We don't get to say who is in or out. We defer membership acceptance to the universe.  God/Universe or whatever it is that chose so many special musicians is the only, and last word on admission.  Even if he didn't do it to get in the club, that doesn't change the fact that the universe wasn't allowed to chose it.  That is the number one criteria.  That for him to be in, it must be because the universe chose him, and it didn't. 

On 7/25/2020 at 6:52 AM, Lobo said:

One interesting thing about this "27 club" is the volume of great music produced by each member varies so widely. 

Brian Jones helped the Stones put out 9 studio albums before he died.  

Jim Morrison released 7 albums (if you count 'American Prayer')

Ron "Pigpen" McKernan, the original frontman of the The Grateful Dead, crafted the band's first 5 studio albums.  

The original himself, Robert Johnson, was from an era where full length LPs were very rare.  We know of 42 total tracks recorded, about 4-5 albums worth.  

Jimi Hendrix released 4 studio albums (I count "The Cry of Love" because it was basically done when he died, half the tracks just needed final mixing).  

Janis Joplin released 4 studio albums (with various "backing" bands)

Kurt Cobain put out 3 with Nirvana

Amy Winehouse with 2 

While all of their brilliant music lives on, only two of them still have their songs played today by their original bandmates (or some of their former bandmates), Pigpen & Brian Jones.  Although there isn't a recorded song today that doesn't have Robert Johnson's fingerprints all over it.  

This may belong in the unpopular opinion thread, but the Stones didn't become truly great until after Brian Jones was more or less out of the picture.  I realize he's credited on Beggar's Banquet and Let It Bleed, but those are almost complete Jagger/Richards efforts.

Edited by Al_4_ISU