PNG mascot talk not going away

austingirl

FYI, WOS also announced that they didn't want their defense referred to as The Chain Gang any more.  In the comments section of the DCTF article on Facebook, hundreds of middle-aged white men around the state completely lost their shit over this news.

Oh, and this is the petition they started to keep the name:

We, the people of Port Neches, Texas are fed up with the left wing nut jobs who are trying to destroy the United States of America in the name of "social justice".  We will not give in to these mobsters who are demanding that the Port Neches, Texas mascot, an Indian, be removed from our school and for us to change our name.

This has been our mascot for a very, very long time. Now, with all this insanity of tearing down statues, assaulting our first amendment rights, and erasing our country's history, these clowns believe now is a good time to push their agenda.

Let's spread the word and share this everywhere and demand that our mascot not be touched.  Enough is enough. God bless America.

Also, I'm 99% sure that the guy who started the above petition is who we used to call Indian Ken, because he always wears full Indian garb and a full-length headdress to all the games. Basically a real-life Buddy Garrity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

most likely, the game you're talking about would've been one of either Houston Kashmere, San Antonio Churchill, or Spring Branch Stratford as those are the three teams we routinely would meet when we were on our run to either state or state semifinals in 1974 through 1979.

I went to a high school in the same district as Stratford. So I guess it could have been Memorial, Stratford or Westchester. Stratford did pretty well when they had that running back who killed 5 hookers.

5 hours ago, WBT said:

Do the twirlers/drill team still wear the headdresses?

4 hours ago, austingirl said:

Yep. So do the drum majors and the Indian Spirit - that guy has a whole elaborate getup in addition to the headdress. 

I was very impressed by their performance:

• Like 1

Along the petrochemical theme, the PNG Flares?

The Blast?  that's too soon, I have friends that live several miles from Merriman that still can't open their windows because the explosion shifted their full brick house, and shattered the rafters in their attic.

The Tugboats?

to Kyrie's point, lol at what would happen if they chose bulldogs.

37 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

The Blast?  that's too soon, I have friends that live several miles from Merriman that still can't open their windows because the explosion shifted their full brick house, and shattered the rafters in their attic.

The Tugboats?

Yeah I'll have to look back to see who wrote that (about the bulldogs) but I wasn't sure if they were being serious or not.

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

The Tugboats?

Pipefitters? Boilermakers? Gators? Uppity bitches that wouldn't talk to my broke Port Arthur ass (It's a little long, but it rings true)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

you'll have to pry this out of Evadale ISD's cold, dead hands

spacer.png

Surprising based upon the ethnically diverse student body:

Enrollment by Race/Ethnicity

African American 0.0%  Hispanic 3.5% White 92.4% American Indian 0.0% Asian 0.0% Pacific Islander 0.0% Two or More Races 4.2% 

On 7/14/2020 at 1:47 PM, austingirl said:

Yeah I'll have to look back to see who wrote that (about the bulldogs) but I wasn't sure if they were being serious or not.

That was me.  My parents graduated PNG in the late 60s.  My brothers and I graduated Nederland in the late 80s, early 90s.  I'm perfectly serious.  

My brother asked my dad, who worked at Gulf/ Chevron for a long time, what chemical accounts for the smell near the PNG high school.  He said it's butadiene and suggested that the drill team could be known as the Butadienettes.  

I would like to see them adopt a unique nickname with a local flair like Gators, Alligator Gar, Pelicans or some shit.  It's their chance to give themselves any name they want so it'd be a shame if they chose Eagles or Wildcats.

41 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Surprising based upon the ethnically diverse student body:

Enrollment by Race/Ethnicity

African American 0.0%  Hispanic 3.5% White 92.4% American Indian 0.0% Asian 0.0% Pacific Islander 0.0% Two or More Races 4.2% 

shockingly they did have at least 1 African American, maybe that is old data. 

spacer.png  

14 minutes ago, Bojack said:

That was me.  My parents graduated PNG in the late 60s.  My brothers and I graduated Nederland in the late 80s, early 90s.  I'm perfectly serious.  

My brother asked my dad, who worked at Gulf/ Chevron for a long time, what chemical accounts for the smell near the PNG high school.  He said it's butadiene and suggested that the drill team could be known as the Butadienettes.  

I would like to see them adopt a unique nickname with a local flair like Gators, Alligator Gar, Pelicans or some shit.  It's their chance to give themselves any name they want so it'd be a shame if they chose Eagles or Wildcats.

You were serious that PNG's mascot should be Bulldogs? That's what I was referring to.

5 hours ago, Bojack said:

The butidiene plant is very close to campus 

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

The butidiene plant is very close to campus 

14 hours ago, Bojack said:

I think there's more than one - the TPC one that exploded was maybe half a mile away, but there's a Huntsman plant right across the street and when we would be outside for practices after school we figured that one was the cause of the smell. Nothing like being outside in that heat and humidity with eau de chemical plant wafting through the air. I'm not sure what exactly they make at the Huntsman plant, or even if it's owned by Huntsman anymore.

3 hours ago, austingirl said:

I think there's more than one - the TPC one that exploded was maybe half a mile away, but there's a Huntsman plant right across the street and when we would be outside for practices after school we figured that one was the cause of the smell. Nothing like being outside in that heat and humidity with eau de chemical plant wafting through the air. I'm not sure what exactly they make at the Huntsman plant, or even if it's owned by Huntsman anymore.

Both those facilities are horrible and old