Star Wars: The Bad Batch, new animated series in 2021

mdmost

Yeah, I'll take it.

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-bad-batch-series-announce

LUCASFILM // JULY 13, 2020

STAR WARS: THE BAD BATCH, AN ALL-NEW ANIMATED SERIES, TO DEBUT ON DISNEY+ IN 2021

CLONE FORCE 99, FROM STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS, RETURNS!

Today, Disney+ ordered its next animated series from Lucasfilm, Star Wars: The Bad Batch. Fresh off of the critically-acclaimed series finale of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, the Disney+ original series will premiere on the streaming service in 2021.

The series follows the elite and experimental clones of the Bad Batch (first introduced in The Clone Wars) as they find their way in a rapidly changing galaxy in the immediate aftermath of the Clone War. Members of Bad Batch — a unique squad of clones who vary genetically from their brothers in the Clone Army — each possess a singular exceptional skill, which makes them extraordinarily effective soldiers and a formidable crew. In the post-Clone War era, they will take on daring mercenary missions as they struggle to stay afloat and find new purpose.

“Giving new and existing fans the final chapter of Star Wars: The Clone Wars has been our honor at Disney+, and we are overjoyed by the global response to this landmark series,” said Agnes Chu, senior vice president, Content, Disney+.  “While The Clone Wars may have come to its conclusion, our partnership with the groundbreaking storytellers and artists at Lucasfilm Animation is only beginning.  We are thrilled to bring Dave Filoni’s vision to life through the next adventures of the Bad Batch.”

Star Wars: The Bad Batch is executive produced by Dave Filoni (The Mandalorian, Star Wars: The Clone Wars), Athena Portillo (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels), Brad Rau (Star Wars Rebels, Star Wars Resistance) and Jennifer Corbett (Star Wars Resistance, NCIS) with Carrie Beck (The Mandalorian, Star Wars Rebels) as co-executive producer and Josh Rimes as producer (Star Wars Resistance). Rau is also serving as supervising director with Corbett as head writer.

• Like 3

At some point before Order 66, a misfit clone unit was sent to The Clone Wars by an animator for a series of episodes that needed a boost. These men promptly escaped from a streaming obscurity to a feature role. Today, still wanted by the Kaminoan government they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....maybe you can hire The Bad Batch.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Apep said:

Didn't like them as much as the sisters, but I'll give it a try.

You serious, Chewbacca? The sisters were terrible. They might be the worst characters of the Disney era and that's saying something. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, mdmost said:

You serious, Chewbacca? The sisters were terrible. They might be the worst characters of the Disney era and that's saying something. 

Yes, I'm serious. The Bad Batch seemed like the most crassly toy-driven characters of the modern era. The sisters were merely mediocre.

I mean I'm obviously in...but where the fuck is our Rebels "Ahsoka/Sabine find Ezra/Thrawn" sequel?

And yes the Bad Batch episodes were better than the Sisters episodes(even though the sisters episodes get too much shit and were needed to flesh out Ahsoka some more)

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Drew said:

I mean I'm obviously in...but where the fuck is our Rebels "Ahsoka/Sabine find Ezra/Thrawn" sequel?

And yes the Bad Batch episodes were better than the Sisters episodes(even though the sisters episodes get too much shit and were needed to flesh out Ahsoka some more)

That sequel is going to be live action. I thought you had commented on that?  Anyway, Ashoka and Sabine are cast and will be in Mandolorian S2. From what I’ve read they are there to set the stage for the non-Mando spinoff that will be them going after Ezra. 

14 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

That sequel is going to be live action. I thought you had commented on that?  Anyway, Ashoka and Sabine are cast and will be in Mandolorian S2. From what I’ve read they are there to set the stage for the non-Mando spinoff that will be them going after Ezra. 

Nah I know they cast Rosario as Ahsoka for the Mandalorian, but I must have missed word of a live action sequel to Rebels.  Wouldn't think Filoni would do that.

On 7/15/2020 at 2:28 PM, Drew said:

Nah I know they cast Rosario as Ahsoka for the Mandalorian, but I must have missed word of a live action sequel to Rebels.  Wouldn't think Filoni would do that.

Yeah I don't think anything is official, but the speculation is that they are using Mando season 2 as a jumping off point for live action spinoffs of various Rebels characters.  We know Ashoka is showing up and likely Sabine, given the presence of the dark saber, and their search for Ezra would be explored and likely lead to an Ezra/Thrawn series in the future.

11 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So in the last season of Clone Wars, Ray Parker was brought in for motion-capture Darth Maul.  Filoni directing, of course.

Did not realize that (need to look at the credits more often).

There was a pretty cool youtube on the making of that episode.  Probably linked in the Clone Wars thread

• 9 months later...
18 hours ago, Js1 said:

Liked the first episode.  70ish min premier, then a regular episode and weekly drops start this Friday.

Hide contents

Didn't even realize Caleb was Kanan. 

During that scene, I kept thinking "I know this actor's voice from somewhere..." then scanned the credits.  VERY cool touch.

11 hours ago, DeepEastTexas said:

I enjoyed it. Similar to the A-Team in the ‘80s. 

Can’t wait to see where this leads. 

Yep, A-Team in the post-Republic Star Wars universe seems an apt description. "If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....maybe you can hire.... The Bad Batch."  Not that there is anything remotely wrong with that.

Are these dropping on Fridays? Is it Friday yet?

Edited by Dutch

24 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

So who is the guy they are going to see? 

I'm guessing Fennec Shand based on her appearance in the trailer. We don't know much, but we know she'll appear on the show. 

I believe Omega being a girl is also a pretty big curveball. A lot of Star Wars message boarders theorized that Omega was a boy and Palpatine's clone. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Yes, Friday. Weekly schedule starts this Friday. They just wanted the Star Wars day hype for the premier

16 episodes. It'll take us right up to football season in mid-August. 

Episode 1: Available now.

Episode 2: Available May 7 -- midnight PT/3 a.m. ET/8 a.m. GMT

Episode 3: Available May 14 -- midnight PT/3 a.m. ET/8 a.m. GMT

Episode 4: Available May 21 -- midnight PT/3 a.m. ET/8 a.m. GMT

Episode 5: Available May 28 -- midnight PT/3 a.m. ET/8 a.m. GMT

Episode 6: Available June 4 -- midnight PT/3 a.m. ET/8 a.m. GMT

Episode 7: Available June 11 -- midnight PT/3 a.m. ET/8 a.m. GMT

Episode 8: Available June 18 -- midnight PT/3 a.m. ET/8 a.m. GMT

Episode 9: Available June 25 -- midnight PT/3 a.m. ET/8 a.m. GMT

Episode 10: Available July 2 -- midnight PT/3 a.m. ET/8 a.m. GMT

Episode 11: Available July 9 -- midnight PT/3 a.m. ET/8 a.m. GMT

Episode 12: Available July 16 -- midnight PT/3 a.m. ET/8 a.m. GMT

Episode 13: Available July 23 -- midnight PT/3 a.m. ET/8 a.m. GMT

Episode 14: Available July 30 -- midnight PT/3 a.m. ET/8 a.m. GMT

Episode 15: Available Aug. 6 -- midnight PT/3 a.m. ET/8 a.m. GMT

Episode 16: Available Aug. 13 -- midnight PT/3 a.m. ET/8 a.m. GMT

Edited by billfromlaketravis

5 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

So who is the guy they are going to see? 

Warning: turbo-nerd spoilers from wookiepedia within

Spoiler

in the Clone Wars series, there was a clone trooper who deserted and found his way to the planet of Saleucami - which happens to be in "J-19". The deserter patched up Rex during the Battle of Saleucami, so I'd bet this is how the bad batch gets connected with Rex after Order 66

So far, I'm enjoying the show. I'm still not super hot on the animation style, but I dig seeing this part of the changeover from Republic -> Empire

I didn't watch any of the animated shows and have refused to watch the prequel trilogy since the theaters.

Refresh my memory...at the end of the day, wasn't the Clone Wars just Palpatine and the Senate spending billions of credits vs a separatist group, he was behind, in a ruse just so he could take over the limp dick senate?

Thought the show was pretty decent.  My 8 year old wasn't buying the mind control device the clones had installed. She wouldn't let go of the fact that's not possible. I finally had to tell her it's space science and you just need to roll with it.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

I definitely think she's force sensitive, but it shouldn't have anything to do with her clone modifications. 

11 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

I definitely think she's force sensitive, but it shouldn't have anything to do with her clone modifications. 

I'm guessing Fennec Shand based on her appearance in the trailer. We don't know much, but we know she'll appear on the show. 
I believe Omega being a girl is also a pretty big curveball. A lot of Star Wars message boarders theorized that Omega was a boy and Palpatine's clone. 

Could still be a palp clone and Rey’s mom.

Did young Kanan sound like Ezra a bit to anyone else?

4 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Could still be a palp clone and Rey’s mom.

Did young Kanan sound like Ezra a bit to anyone else?

I love Star Wars discussion, and it's interesting theory Nivek.

The Bad Batch takes place in 19 BBY. The Force Awakens takes place in 34 ABY. So 53 years. It's tough to tell Omega's age because she's a clone. Rey is supposed to be 19 in The Force Awakens. Rey was born in 15 ABY. The math works, but clones age more rapidly than humans. 

I hated The Rise of Skywalker, and I pause to bring it up, but wasn't it established that Rey's father was a Palp clone? 

I kind of hope that Omega isn't force sensitive. Some of my favorite content out of Star Wars lately has been focused on non-force users, and I enjoy seeing that side of the universe. Plus while it would be fun to see the bad batch tangle it up with inquisitors, the empire already has enough motivation to chase them down

• Hook 'Em 1

I honestly hope they don't tie her to Rey. Just make her force sensitive and that's it. Not everyone has to be related. 

They do that all the time. And I get it. Always seems absurd when supposedly big universes keep having coincidences. But in actuality it was tricky to keep track of everyone in Game of Thrones.

Filoni is good at thoughtfully tieing things together, even making the mess if the PT a little more understandable. Canon now says Palpatine had a back up clone body that could used the Force. It would be very Filoni to give it some nods here and weave it in to the story. Maybe she was an accidental prototype, she gets discovered by Tarkin. 

On 7/15/2020 at 2:28 PM, Drew said:

On 7/20/2020 at 10:28 AM, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah I don't think anything is official, but the speculation is that they are using Mando season 2 as a jumping off point for live action spinoffs of various Rebels characters.  We know Ashoka is showing up and likely Sabine, given the presence of the dark saber, and their search for Ezra would be explored and likely lead to an Ezra/Thrawn series in the future.

There are tie-ins for various Rebels characters just in the first Bad Batch episode.

Jedi padawan Caleb Dume in Bad Batch is Kanan Jarrus in Rebels.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Probably alone on this, but I've enjoyed the first two episodes more than Wanda-vision and Falcon. The acting has been miles ahead.

And it makes sense.

Disney/Marvel should seriously think about CGI, Animation for any new series.

I've enjoyed the Bad Batch, and how it's tying the Clone Wars together with Rebels - was kind of shocked/surprised they prominently featured Kanan Jarrus in the very first episode of Bad Batch.

Marvel has animated series lined up (What If and a few others), but they aren't true MCU.