Star Wars: The Bad Batch, new animated series in 2021

mdmost

On 5/22/2021 at 1:58 PM, Drew said:

I don't think it's some great character by any stretch...but wouldn't be Surly if you guys weren't shitting all over some kid on a show.

First season of Clone Wars mostly sucked, very kid audience centric. First half of first season of Rebels was meh. 2nd half was fucking awesome. We know how Filoni works. He's building the baseline and the the arc for how badass she's going to become. That doesn't mean that these first few episodes aren't annoying as hell. You have to suffer through the meh to get to the awesome.

o-MEEEEEEEE-gah.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, crash_davis said:

First season of Clone Wars mostly sucked, very kid audience centric. First half of first season of Rebels was meh. 2nd half was fucking awesome. We know how Filoni works. He's building the baseline and the the arc for how badass she's going to become. That doesn't mean that these first few episodes aren't annoying as hell. You have to suffer through the meh to get to the awesome.

o-MEEEEEEEE-gah.

The difference is now we're already getting civilians getting wasted on the reg. Things could get dark. 

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

The difference is now we're already getting civilians getting wasted on the reg. Things could get dark. 

dude yeah I wasn't expecting that civ speeder bike rider to get fuckin zapped lol. Very interesting to see how they walk the line between kid-friendly show and telling the story of the rise of a fascist/authoritarian dictatorship

4 hours ago, Captainant said:

dude yeah I wasn't expecting that civ speeder bike rider to get fuckin zapped lol. Very interesting to see how they walk the line between kid-friendly show and telling the story of the rise of a fascist/authoritarian dictatorship

And there's the rub. But hey, Filoni was able to depict Order 66 in Clone Wars and keep it TV-7. If anybody can do it, it's Dave. 

• Hook 'Em 3

So Omega can conceivably control any living thing using... emotional IQ? Can she go from Rancors to Inquisitors? It would be an interesting leap. 

Right now it’s a lame Bad Batch super power, but Ezra used a similar power to f*** stuff up with Loth-wolves and Purrgils. I hope Omega is the reintroduction to Ezra. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

10 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I enjoyed it, but then again I watched all of the episodes of the Clone Wars, so my judgement may be suspect.

Same.

While I can be very critical of some shows, what’s the point with something like Bad Batch? It’s like the droid eps of Clone Wars; they’re not there for adults.

This series doesn’t really catch my eye that much and most of the time I’m scrolling through my phone while watching. Not a horrible show by any means but it’s just lacking at the moment. Luckily it is still early. 

On 5/22/2021 at 1:58 PM, Drew said:

I don't think it's some great character by any stretch...but wouldn't be Surly if you guys weren't shitting all over some kid on a show.

LOL it's not just Surly/Shaggy.

All of the complaints about Omega are basically identical to the complaints about Ashoka in the first few seasons of Clone Wars. Everyone complained about how annoying she was all the time. Now everybody loves Ashoka, lol.

What I keep going back to is: Trust in Filoni. He knows what he's doing.

23 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

LOL it's not just Surly/Shaggy.

All of the complaints about Omega are basically identical to the complaints about Ashoka in the first few seasons of Clone Wars. Everyone complained about how annoying she was all the time. Now everybody loves Ashoka, lol.

What I keep going back to is: Trust in Filoni. He knows what he's doing.

This plus a billion. There's some great video essays on youtube that break this down beat-by-beat really nicely. The character is intentionally written to be immature and limited, only so that they will have somewhere to grow out of for a more satisfying character arc. It does lead one to wonder just what oh-ME-guh will have in the extended canon, considering how the sequel trilogy really limits the possibilities

Spoiler

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, DeepEastTexas said:
  Hide contents

So it has to be Rex or Ahsoka right?

Speculation in spoilers:

Spoiler

I think wrecker has knocked his head enough for the chip to reactivate the next time he sees a Jedi. Also some turbo nerds on Reddit are pretty sure that the R7 the sisters had is Ahsokas R7. 

Definitely Rex or Ahsoka. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My 11 year old likes Wrecker the best, which makes sense I guess, but he HATES Omega. He keeps rooting for her to die.

He also observed that it’s basically like Mandalorian with the fetch-this-item-of-the-week plot mechanism.

This latest episode seemed to recycle the conveyor belt scene from one of the prequels (can’t remember which one). Cmon Filoni, you’ve set a high bar! Don’t fuck this up!

Filoni never has "wasted or Filler".  The Sisters arc, while obviously the worst of Season 7, was not wasted or crappy.  We were just so antsy to get the final arc that it clouded our judgement.  That was a developmental arc for Ahsoka...and of course they are being brought back for a reason. 

Filoni got this shit planned out yo.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Drew said:

Filoni never has "wasted or Filler".  The Sisters arc, while obviously the worst of Season 7, was not wasted or crappy.  We were just so antsy to get the final arc that it clouded our judgement.  That was a developmental arc for Ahsoka...and of course they are being brought back for a reason. 

Filoni got this shit planned out yo.

He had plenty of filler in Clone Wars. Rebels, not so much. I think its safe to say that either he has grown as a storyteller, or that he had to include filler in Clone Wars because he was told to or just had to make so many episodes that it was inevitable. That said, I'm not nearly as critical of stuff as a lot of folks here (I watched the all of Clone Wars instead of following one of the guides), so the sisters don't really bother me.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/3/2021 at 2:35 PM, Captainant said:

This plus a billion. There's some great video essays on youtube that break this down beat-by-beat really nicely. The character is intentionally written to be immature and limited, only so that they will have somewhere to grow out of for a more satisfying character arc. It does lead one to wonder just what oh-ME-guh will have in the extended canon, considering how the sequel trilogy really limits the possibilities

Reveal hidden contents

I mean, I think that honestly doesn't matter that much any more. The storytelling in between the Prequel Trilogy and the OT and the OT and Sequel Trilogy is basically where they are putting all of their storytelling eggs right now, with the Mandalorian, Obi-Wan, Ashoka, Book of Boba Fett, etc.  There's plenty of ground to explore in those areas for quite some time without having to worry about what "happened" in the sequel trilogy.  Grown-up/live action Omega could certainly come into play in almost all of these series in one way or another.

And Filoni has proven pretty adept and "spackling" storytelling inconsistencies left behind by the movies so far, so I think he'll figure it out. :) 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/8/2021 at 7:06 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

He had plenty of filler in Clone Wars. Rebels, not so much. I think its safe to say that either he has grown as a storyteller, or that he had to include filler in Clone Wars because he was told to or just had to make so many episodes that it was inevitable. That said, I'm not nearly as critical of stuff as a lot of folks here (I watched the all of Clone Wars instead of following one of the guides), so the sisters don't really bother me.

That's fair.  All the Droid and Jar Jar stuff was pretty bad early on, and Rebels didn't really have that type of stuff.  So he probably did grow.  PLus, CW was still under George Lucas, so maybe he had a lot more say back then.

On 6/4/2021 at 9:09 PM, Captainant said:

Speculation in spoilers:

Hide contents

I think wrecker has knocked his head enough for the chip to reactivate the next time he sees a Jedi. Also some turbo nerds on Reddit are pretty sure that the R7 the sisters had is Ahsokas R7. 

Definitely Rex or Ahsoka. 

Doubt they use Ahsoka in this series. They are already used her in the Mandalorian and she's getting her own show. Throwing Ahsoka in this would be overkill. Plus he already used Ahsoka as a surprise/cliff hanger at the end of season 1 Rebels. Going by that and what he did for Mandalorian season 1 ending with the Dark Saber, he's most likely going to have Rex in the last episode. The other big surprise will be revelation of o-meee-guh's special talent, unless it's talking to animals then that would be hella stupid special clone trait.

46 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Doubt they use Ahsoka in this series. They are already used her in the Mandalorian and she's getting her own show. Throwing Ahsoka in this would be overkill. Plus he already used Ahsoka as a surprise/cliff hanger at the end of season 1 Rebels. Going by that and what he did for Mandalorian season 1 ending with the Dark Saber, he's most likely going to have Rex in the last episode. The other big surprise will be revelation of o-meee-guh's special talent, unless it's talking to animals then that would be hella stupid special clone trait.

Unless the space whales come back (again)!

That was a good episode.  

Spoiler

Rex coming back was awesome.  The fact that he was working with the sisters confirms that he and Ahsoka were working together after the CW finale, as well as most likely still working together. 

Glad they wrapped up Wrecker's headache storyline, as well as the inhibitor chip.  I'd like to see the larger Empire storyline take shape soon.  Tarkin and the conscripts becoming Stormtroopers would be interesting.  I feel like that's coming.

I think this may be the best episode yet. Good character development and action

Spoiler

I got a kick out of Wrecker throwing the dudes off the ship, gave me flashbacks of tossing storm troopers in Jedi Knight/Academy. 

I liked the turn of Crosshair getting seriously injured from his ruthless tactics, and Cad mothafuckin Bane, baby! Definitely the start of the next chapter and end of exposition

Great episode.  The series is really starting to come together nicely.  

Spoiler

Return of the Empire.  Fantastic.  
CADE BANE!!! That was an awesome addition to the episode.  

Literally the best of all the Bounty Hunters SW has ever produced. Thanks one that has legit credentials and we haven’t just heard about.

We’ve seen him one up the Jedi several times including Anakin and Obi-Wan.

The final scene was really well done. High stakes.

On 6/19/2021 at 9:15 AM, Drew said:

Literally the best of all the Bounty Hunters SW has ever produced. Thanks one that has legit credentials and we haven’t just heard about.

We’ve seen him one up the Jedi several times including Anakin and Obi-Wan.

The final scene was really well done. High stakes.

spacer.png

Edited by Buzzrock