The Death of the Buffet

Sbbruin

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Me too -- middle school to high school, I was a calorie-burning machine, and hit the regularly.  Also, in 8th grade, I rode my bike all over Houston for recreation, riding with my buddies, etc.  Some days, we'd ride well over 50 miles.  I remember one afternoon, we stopped at the Pizza Inn on Gessner for lunch on a hot summer day.  We each ate -- no exaggeration -- 40+ pieces of pizza.  We only quit eating because we got bored.  Then we hopped back on to our bikes and kept on riding around Houston in the summer heat.

That would kill me today.  Both eating that much food, and getting on a bike after eating that much.

We went to that Pizza Inn many times back in the day.  Was always a good time.

26 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I dig a good brunch buffet, but they are all way overpriced.

Jack Allen's is a good one, though.  Chicken fried chicken with green chile gravy, green chile grits, a great tomato/basil egg pie, poached eggs cooked to order, it's good stuff.

Just how large and disgusting a fat persons are you anyways?

You are totaly and completely speaking my language here, so not judging, just curious. 

I’ve lost 15 pounds for the first time in my life without going on a diet (I’ve lost weight before but only while dieting- this is the first time I’ve done it by eating less and walking around) and now tip the scales around 295. My goal on the road was to lose 60 pounds and get to 250. I’m big boned and 6’1.5” so that would make me a chunky monkey instead of a disgusting fat guy. I aspire to go from “big fella” down to ordinary American fat guy. 
Dare to dream. 

On 7/13/2020 at 11:56 AM, Sbbruin said:

Might they be gone forever?  

Doubtful. If there is one thing this country still makes better than any other, its fatties. They will demand their buffets, and buffets they will get. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Just how large and disgusting a fat persons are you anyways?

You are totaly and completely speaking my language here, so not judging, just curious. 

I’ve lost 15 pounds for the first time in my life without going on a diet (I’ve lost weight before but only while dieting- this is the first time I’ve done it by eating less and walking around) and now tip the scales around 295. My goal on the road was to lose 60 pounds and get to 250. I’m big boned and 6’1.5” so that would make me a chunky monkey instead of a disgusting fat guy. I aspire to go from “big fella” down to ordinary American fat guy. 
Dare to dream. 

I need to lose some poundage.  Quarantine has actually helped - not going out for nice lunches, no fancy dinner when travelling, and walking every night (except lately, when it's over 100).  I've lost a few, but need to lose a good bit more.  Made a nice veggie-heavy low fat gazpacho yesterday, had a bowl for lunch today.  Better choices and such.

The challenge is -- and this is a big one when you are trying to lose weight -- I like me some good groceries.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

I need to lose some poundage.  Quarantine has actually helped - not going out for nice lunches, no fancy dinner when travelling, and walking every night (except lately, when it's over 100).  I've lost a few, but need to lose a good bit more.  Made a nice veggie-heavy low fat gazpacho yesterday, had a bowl for lunch today.  Better choices and such.

The challenge is -- and this is a big one when you are trying to lose weight -- I like me some good groceries.

I like all kind of food (except Indian) from Taco Bell to w 2 star Michelin joint, and everything in between. 
I also really like feeling full. And I hate the heat. So yeah, that’s a bad combination. 
honestly though you can talk about good groceries all you want but if you eat only food you buy at the store and nothing more made (I.e you cook it all) it’s hard to be too disgusting I think. That’s how life on the road is helping me I would wager. 
my favorite buffet (cheap) double daves. 
the. Chinese. 
4 seasons brunch is stupid good. Really I will eat a lot of anything. I’m a shameful fat person that way. 

46 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Popeyes is fancy now? 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

taco diet + bouts of cardio (more difficult now that you can't go into gyms because the air is poison and you can't go outside because you'll die of heatstroke) has lost me 15 lbs in the last year.  the great thing about taco diet is that you don't even know you're on a diet because it's tacos.  which are awesome.

1 minute ago, elfenix said:

taco diet + bouts of cardio (more difficult now that you can't go into gyms because the air is poison and you can't go outside because you'll die of heatstroke) has lost me 15 lbs in the last year.  the great thing about taco diet is that you don't even know you're on a diet because it's tacos.  which are awesome.

The wife bought a spin bike.  I've done spin classes, and like them.  I'm gonna get a pair of shoes with clips so I can do that while it's too hot to exercise outside.  I like cycling, and it's damned good cardio.

And, since it's at home, I can eat a taco while I ride.

9 minutes ago, elfenix said:

So you only eat tacos? Tell. Me. More. 

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

So you only eat tacos? Tell. Me. More. 

i basically cook a shit ton of marinated chicken boob using sous vide (in the bag it marinades in).  then when i want to eat, i measure out (read: cut with scissors) 2 ounces of chopped chicken per taco into a pan to reheat, wrap warmed chicken in tortilla, top with pico.  each taco is ~200 calories and macros work out to 20g protein, 16g carbs, 6g fat (per myfitnesspal).  that's treating any oils in the marinade as negligible, and not topping with cheese or an oil based salsa (though, depending on the number of tacos you eat, there's plenty of room). 

i've done fajita, gochujang, and vindaloo flavors.  will probably try something middle eastern next time i do a batch. 

Edited by elfenix
it was my understanding there'd be no math
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Jack Allen's is a good one, though.  Chicken fried chicken with green chile gravy, green chile grits, a great tomato/basil egg pie, poached eggs cooked to order, it's good stuff.

Fuck that sounds awesome. 

I miss regular buffet pickups to go from the Chinese joint down the road. Entrees and combos just don't work for me with my preferences and not wanting to get stuck with a bunch of rice that i don't eat instead of other stuff I like.

Buffets were already a virus roulette game before Covid. Ain't gonna do it now.

Edited by DougO

Went to buffets frequently as a college student.  Double Dave's was pretty common.  Something like $8 for a Buffett and a pint.  Cicis Riverside when we were desperate.  A good Indian buffet was a yearly occurance.  Now that I'm old I just can't do it.  I get full after 1 plate of food.  Haven't been to a Buffett in like 10 years unless the salad bar at mcallisters counts.  

El Torito's off 290 had a really good brunch we always hit up when the wife's brother came in town from California, hated to see it closed.  I believe it's a Chinese Buffet place now(pre-covid) or it was before we moved away. 

Not a buffet but when Conan's used to do the AYCE for lunch, salad included.  Never been a big fan of Gatti's but that never stopped me from putting a hurtin' at their AYCE. 

Edited by Underdog

6 hours ago, elfenix said:

i basically cook a shit ton of marinated chicken boob using sous vide (in the bag it marinades in).  then when i want to eat, i measure out (read: cut with scissors) 2 ounces of chopped chicken per taco into a pan to reheat, wrap warmed chicken in tortilla, top with pico.  each taco is ~200 calories and macros work out to 61g protein, 48g carbs, 17g fat (per myfitnesspal).  that's treating any oils in the marinade as negligible, and not topping with cheese or an oil based salsa (though, depending on the number of tacos you eat, there's plenty of room). 

i've done fajita, gochujang, and vindaloo flavors.  will probably try something middle eastern next time i do a batch. 

are you saying that 2 oz of chicken has 61g protein?  perhaps I misunderstood your post. 

On 7/13/2020 at 4:11 PM, Orange&White said:

**I really am not trying to make this political, I swear.

I would guess that the correlation between the people that really like buffets and the people that think COVID is a scam is pretty strong, and that once this is over, they will continue to support their closest buffet.

I had the same thought a few weeks ago that this will probably end the buffet concept, but after some thought, I think they will make it through.

I mean, for fucks sake, I still see plenty of dudes leave the mens room without washing their filthy fucking dick hands, and we are being constantly bombarded by signs, commercials, ads, posters and everyone else telling us to wash them.

Minnesota says hold my beer.

14 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

And don’t forget migas, enchilada casserole, Frito pie, pork green Chile, jalapeño sausage and biscuits & gravy.  Buffet is < $20.

Buffets have always skeeved me out. Always. Pizza ones were never really a problem for whatever reason though and in high school we would tear apart Mr. Gatti's. Holy shit, good times.

I think most of buffet places go to quick-action where they serve you directly, like a high-end cruise ship buffet (no one touches anything, they serve you whatever you ask for). 

But the places like Ryan's and so forth who are a step below MREs and Doritos out of the bag, they gone.