Naya Rivera 'Mustered Enough Energy' to Get Son on Boat but 'Not Enough to Save Herself': Police

clapclapclap

4 hours ago, crash_davis said:

This is why I have a few rules on my boat. You can only get in the water if you have a life jacket. Don't need to wear it, but it must be by you at all times. If you've been drinking, you must wear a life jacket in the water. And if we are un-anchored, we have ropes out so that people can hold onto the ropes to stay with the boat. On windy days and especially if the canopy is up, the boat will drift fast.

What a shitty way to go. I can imagine the panic and strength it took to swim with her 4 yr old son to get back to the boat. 

This is pretty much us.  I put out a 100' poly rope  and everybody jumps in with a noodle or float for free swim.   We have a bimini top and it is definitely a sail and will drag you along at a pretty good clip.

I didn't catch whether the kid had on a pfd.  I imagine they both got in the water and the boat started drifting on them and she was trying to get to the boat and take care of the kid.  If he had a pfd, it would have been easier to leave him and swim to the boat then go back to get him.   Sad event any way you put it. 

Wear your pdf's and kill switches folks.

22 minutes ago, davidg said:

I didn't catch whether the kid had on a pfd.  I imagine they both got in the water and the boat started drifting on them and she was trying to get to the boat and take care of the kid.  If he had a pfd, it would have been easier to leave him and swim to the boat then go back to get him.

He did, and from what was said, the boat was drifting when the rental people found it.

Incredibly sad, but I am not surprised - If I somehow found myself in that situation,  it would be hard as hell to leave my 4 year-old alone in a lake when I tried to swim for the boat.

47 minutes ago, davidg said:

This is pretty much us.  I put out a 100' poly rope  and everybody jumps in with a noodle or float for free swim.   We have a bimini top and it is definitely a sail and will drag you along at a pretty good clip.

I didn't catch whether the kid had on a pfd.  I imagine they both got in the water and the boat started drifting on them and she was trying to get to the boat and take care of the kid.  If he had a pfd, it would have been easier to leave him and swim to the boat then go back to get him.   Sad event any way you put it. 

Wear your pdf's and kill switches folks.

And stupid to swim out from an unanchored boat 

Having rented a few boats on local lakes recently, none of them came with an anchor. I can somewhat understand it as there can be a bit of an art to property anchoring a boat in wind and current, let alone accounting for what it may be sticking in (sounds like this lake/reservoir had lots of submerged foliage). I'm going to guess she was not a super experienced boater, and it is often surprising how much even a big pontoon boat can drift in the breeze. Agreed the whole scenario has some strange components to it, though. 

23 hours ago, Txzen said:

Having rented a few boats on local lakes recently, none of them came with an anchor. I can somewhat understand it as there can be a bit of an art to property anchoring a boat in wind and current, let alone accounting for what it may be sticking in (sounds like this lake/reservoir had lots of submerged foliage). I'm going to guess she was not a super experienced boater, and it is often surprising how much even a big pontoon boat can drift in the breeze. Agreed the whole scenario has some strange components to it, though. 

thats interesting.  a rental boat with no anchor, strange, but maybe they don't want you anchoring.  used to have a 24 foot pontoon with a hard top.  thing was a sail.  sometimes I'd have to put anchor off bow and off stern.  I wonder if the anchor was out/dragging when they found it.

we got caught in a squall on Travis one time heading back just before dark.  wasn't pleasant. 

She mustered enough energy to get her son on the boat, but she couldn't Miracle Whip dat ass outa the water.

Edited by RPM
I'm already going to Hell, this won't hurt the stats

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

thats interesting.  a rental boat with no anchor, strange, but maybe they don't want you anchoring.  used to have a 24 foot pontoon with a hard top.  thing was a sail.  sometimes I'd have to put anchor off bow and off stern.  I wonder if the anchor was out/dragging when they found it.

we got caught in a squall on Travis one time heading back just before dark.  wasn't pleasant. 

Decades ago, we rented a pontoon boat on Lake Travis. The below was the anchor that was on the boat. A damned wind sock would've served as a better anchor than that shit.

And depending on where on the lake and the direction of the wind, that lake can get hella gnarly.

7847171.jpg

23 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

A 17 year old died here on Cedar Creek Lake yesterday.  It was by a boat ramp so it could have been a diving related injury.  I think he is at least the third person to have died on the lake this year.  

Yes diving near a boat ramp isn’t recommended. 

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Decades ago, we rented a pontoon boat on Lake Travis. The below was the anchor that was on the boat. A damned wind sock would've served as a better anchor than that shit.

And depending on where on the lake and the direction of the wind, that lake can get hella gnarly.

7847171.jpg

That's a pretty standard small boat lake anchor. It won't hold you in any weather.

26 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

7847171.jpg

As a teen, I recovered quite a few of those from around some docks and boat ramps, and resold them.

It's surprising how many people capable of affording a decent boat can't spend 5 fucking minutes on learning how to tie a knot.

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

As a teen, I recovered quite a few of those from around some docks and boat ramps, and resold them.

It's surprising how many people capable of affording a decent boat can't spend 5 fucking minutes on learning how to tie a knot.

or maybe they said fuck it, threw the shit overboard, and said i'm buying a wind sock because it's a better anchor than that shit.

that thing would have trouble anchoring a kayak in 10 knot wind.

Edited by crash_davis